Sport Bikes banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, im thinking of getting an sv for next year, maybe 2003 if the price is right. Think the twin is too much to handle, or is this a good bike to start off on?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
i sat on one today..i dont know if its the best bike to start out on, but its your choice and it might be doable. Always think long-term (may be your first and you dont want to make it your last)...ultimately, the choice is yours
 

·
Go #214!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Joined
·
2,390 Posts
Some say it is ok, others don't. Personally I think it's an "alright" bike to start on. There are better bikes that cost less $, but there are also worse bikes that cost more. Just keep in mind that SV's are going for a premium nowadays. They are very popular so you may end up spending more than you want.
 

·
what R you lookin' at?
Joined
·
5,313 Posts
as the others have said, you could do worse.........you could do better. take the www.msf-usa.org class and determine how god your throtle control is, cuz the bike is very touchy, cuz it has alot of low end torque........

fantastic 2nd bike. i luv our SV
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
At 17 I wouldnt recomend it, only because I'm not that far from 17 myself.

I dont know you, your attitude towards riding, or your common sense, but if your anything like me, a SV could be trouble. Someone with maturity could easily pull it off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Living in Ontario, check on the insurance before you buy anything.
The SV is an excellent bike but I think you should maybe think up
putting some miles on an EX 500 or GS500 for a year.
The SV is a good bike but it is on the edge of the bikes I would recommend for a beginner.

Vic
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,471 Posts
I have an SV650 now and can honestly say it would have been too much for me as a newbie. With that said, there are plenty of people on this site who think they are just right.

Take the MSF course first and see how well you do on one of their little bikes. If a 250 Nighthawk gives you trouble, then stay away from an SV as a first bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
well i got an sv650s as my first bike and i really like it. would i have been better off with a smaller bike, possibly. a cheaper bike would alleviate the worry of damaging the bike while learning. i havent had a chance to ride a ninja 500 or gs500 so i dont really have anything to compare too. so far i have 2k miles on my bike and its been loads of fun. my first major hurdles learning to ride were using the brakes effectively. when im trying to do slow maneuervers like u turns is about the only time i notice the throttle being twitchy but then you just use the clutch. a few times when i have gone riding i have really cranked on the throttle and while it is blazing fast compared to any car i have been in, the front wheel doesnt come of the ground, so unless you clutched it in and then revved it up and popped the clutch i dont think you can loop this bike. but anways these are just the ramblings of a noob. good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
718 Posts
geist said:
well i got an sv650s as my first bike and i really like it. would i have been better off with a smaller bike, possibly. a cheaper bike would alleviate the worry of damaging the bike while learning. i havent had a chance to ride a ninja 500 or gs500 so i dont really have anything to compare too. so far i have 2k miles on my bike and its been loads of fun. my first major hurdles learning to ride were using the brakes effectively. when im trying to do slow maneuervers like u turns is about the only time i notice the throttle being twitchy but then you just use the clutch. a few times when i have gone riding i have really cranked on the throttle and while it is blazing fast compared to any car i have been in, the front wheel doesnt come of the ground, so unless you clutched it in and then revved it up and popped the clutch i dont think you can loop this bike. but anways these are just the ramblings of a noob. good luck
Depends on how much of a booB you are I suppose. I am a nooB and getting a 600 FZ and don't think it should be an issue...of course...I have ridden other bikes in the past and just shook the rust off with a 750 last week to make sure I still knew what I was doing. They aren't going to give you scary power, just stern torque through the revvs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RACER X said:
as the others have said, you could do worse.........you could do better. take the www.msf-usa.org class and determine how god your throtle control is, cuz the bike is very touchy, cuz it has alot of low end torque........

fantastic 2nd bike. i luv our SV
thanks for all the responses. i already took the course and my instructor told me i was an extremely good rider, made smooth shifts, and good throttle control. I plan to ride my cousins yam 600 this summer to get used to riding a larger bike. im not into racing my bike or doing stunts, i want something to ride around town and that is really fun to ride, and i hear the sv is one to do the job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,767 Posts
I think the sv is a decent starter bike but like the other's have said there are better. Get as much time on a bike as you can before you purchase the bike and I think you'll be better off. You might also check into how much insurance will cost you on the sv before you get it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
21 natas said:
You might also check into how much insurance will cost you on the sv before you get it.
Thats the reason why im interested in this bike. It's the cheapest for insurance out of all the bikes ive been looking into. I also really like the katana, would that be better?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,597 Posts
massR1 said:
hey guys, im thinking of getting an sv for next year, maybe 2003 if the price is right. Think the twin is too much to handle, or is this a good bike to start off on?
SUZUKI RIDERS!!!UNITE!!! Get the damn thing dude. Not a good starter, but what the hell, you are going to get what you want any damn way.

Oh BTW, the can of tuna is a better starter. longer WB, less tourqe down low (less chance of 12oclockin)
 

·
old member
Joined
·
13,079 Posts
massR1 said:
Thats the reason why im interested in this bike. It's the cheapest for insurance out of all the bikes ive been looking into. I also really like the katana, would that be better?
The Katana is much heavier with about the same power. It's an inline 4 so the sv will have more low end and the Katana more high end (higher engine rpm). Unless you're physically large and able to muscle the bike around, the Katana's weight may be an issue at low speeds.

The sv is a great bike, but is a little twitchy just off idle at low rpms. Maybe see if a friend of a friend will let you ride one a bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
The 2003 SV was my first bike and I loved it, 6500 miles in the first year. It does have plenty of low end torque and that helped make it a blast to ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
tnridernb said:
The 2003 SV was my first bike and I loved it, 6500 miles in the first year. It does have plenty of low end torque and that helped make it a blast to ride.
you nearly doubled your displacement with the ninja. NICE!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Sv650s

Hello. I am new to the community. I must say that I am very pleased to read the newbie threads on this site. You guys give incredible advice and it seems to be changing some peoples minds on what to start with.

I am getting started into the sport and a guy tried to sell me an R1 last night even after me telling him I was a newb. What a dip****.

However, this brings me to my next thought. The R1 did not fit me at all. I am 6'4" and 205 and the R1 cramped me big time. I have spent all weekend looking for what fits best in the newbie type bikes and I have found the SV650S to be the best oddly enough. I am glad to hear that "I could do worse" because I think this is where I am going to have to start.

I sat on a Kawi 500 today and it was ugly. My knees were almost higher than the top of the tank :). I am going to try and find a Zuki 500 to sit on before I buy the SV just to see the difference but I think fit is probably most important for me, so I can control the bike.

I will check back often to learn more great tips from you more experienced riders. Keep it coming, because I can only learn more.

Geoff
 

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
Joined
·
20,262 Posts
geos78 said:
Hello. I am new to the community. I must say that I am very pleased to read the newbie threads on this site. You guys give incredible advice and it seems to be changing some peoples minds on what to start with.

I am getting started into the sport and a guy tried to sell me an R1 last night even after me telling him I was a newb. What a dip****.

However, this brings me to my next thought. The R1 did not fit me at all. I am 6'4" and 205 and the R1 cramped me big time. I have spent all weekend looking for what fits best in the newbie type bikes and I have found the SV650S to be the best oddly enough. I am glad to hear that "I could do worse" because I think this is where I am going to have to start.

I sat on a Kawi 500 today and it was ugly. My knees were almost higher than the top of the tank :). I am going to try and find a Zuki 500 to sit on before I buy the SV just to see the difference but I think fit is probably most important for me, so I can control the bike.

I will check back often to learn more great tips from you more experienced riders. Keep it coming, because I can only learn more.

Geoff

Aloha and Welcome to SBN :twofinger

It might do you good to start your own thread on this.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top