Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just when I thought I stuck on the SV650, i saw a few more vids of the Ninja.

Far as I could make out, SV is faster, not as comfy, & has been around for some time so there are parts and forums.

Ninja is new, comfier, slightly slower, slightly cheaper, i kind of like the sticking out shock look not the guages.

Which to get...? I've been seeing some reviews and they say the suspensions are cheap and shitty, and the brakes arent the best either... Which of the 2 has the best brakes and suspension? Motorcycle.com specs show the SV slightly lighter with the suspension having longer travel so softer.

Convince me why I should get the one or the other.
(Daily Rider + Faster than Average Pace, I always speed, dont do track.)

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Whatever you find a better deal on. IMO, either one would be a great bike. I think the differences would be minimal. I personally like the looks of the fully faired SV over the ninja, but that's me, and just looks.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Well, I have a 650r, the new one, the good looking one.
Somedays I wish I got an SV650S (full faired) But then other days i'm glad I didn't
The only thing I really like better about the SV is the tail, and that it's a bit blockier looking, kinda like that, and the clip ons.

I went with the 650r when it came time to buy though, the 650r is as far as I know, faster, at least it's top speed is. 0-60 I don't see there being any difference, none you'll notice trust me.
The 650r was a whole $2,000 cheaper (5,399 vs 7,299) at the time, and honestly, thats a shit load of difference between 2 almost identical bikes. It's not like your getting 2 G's of sweet suspension with that SV.
OTOH I HATE the 06-08 650r's, and funny enough I didn't even consider buying one, I wanted an SV but I stopped into a Kawi dealership, saw the 09 for the first time, and put down the deposit.
SV650s (any) = Maybe
650r (06-08) = No
650r (09+) = Yes

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I have one of those hated 2007 650r's as mentioned above. However I dont hate mine, I quite like mine. Almost have 18,000 miles on it (I've only done about 14,000 of that though). I am definately convinced that there is no better intermediate/beginner commute friendly bike. It isnt just a commute bike either, plenty of people track 650r's too. And truth is, you probably wont even tell the difference between the speed of the SV and 650r. Ive sat on both and my original choice was to buy a SV. But that changed when I found a much better deal on a 650r. I wasnt quite sold on the looks, but when I saw it in person and then rode it I was sold.

My advice is to get whatever you think fits you. Realistically they are both great bikes and there is really nothing that one can do and one cannot do.

·
Registered
365 Posts
How about the fz6r ?

But between your picks, I like the looks of the 650r - get what looks good to you, you'll keep it longer...maybe

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
I'd say between the two, the riding position would mostly determine which bike you should look into. The fully-faired SV has clip-ons where the 650R has more upright bars. They're both good bikes.

I have a Versys which is just a taller version of the 650R. Coming from a 250R, the 650R engine is going to feel almost exactly the same. Just like a b***** brother. But the way it revs and shifts is going to be immediately familiar.

Also, coming from a 250R, the brakes and suspension of either bike is going to feel worlds better. You only really get spoiled to that stuff after you've spent some time on some full supersports (I don't know, you may have. i'm just going off the 250R in your profile).

·
Registered
833 Posts
Wow that looks great for a so-called bargain bike.

It's a toss-up for me. Looks are important to me and in this respect the kawi wins. But, the SV's 90 degree twin sounds soooo nice with pipes. You can close your eyes and pretend its a Ducati.

im planning on upgrading the 500 for a kawi er-6n in black

i think their damn sexy!

·
Palm City Nice Guy
2,503 Posts
Do any sv-650 riders experience front end wobble at high speed de-cel?

·
Registered
18 Posts
i've sat on both the new versions and looked both of them over pretty carefully, never ridden though. The sv650 is probably a more quality bike. I've heard both the motors run and the parallel twin 650r sounds like an air compressor to the v twin of the sv. If money is no option go with the suzuki. The build quality is better for what you'll get in this class of bike. Nicer styling too.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'll admit I don't really care for the sound of the parallel twin my bike has at idle. They sound decent in the higher rev range though. As far as build quality of the 650r, my only complaint is the fairing buzz, but I don't even notice it anymore.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I have a 650r, the new one, the good looking one.
Somedays I wish I got an SV650S (full faired) But then other days i'm glad I didn't
The only thing I really like better about the SV is the tail, and that it's a bit blockier looking, kinda like that, and the clip ons.

I went with the 650r when it came time to buy though, the 650r is as far as I know, faster, at least it's top speed is. 0-60 I don't see there being any difference, none you'll notice trust me.
The 650r was a whole $2,000 cheaper (5,399 vs 7,299) at the time, and honestly, thats a shit load of difference between 2 almost identical bikes. It's not like your getting 2 G's of sweet suspension with that SV.
OTOH I HATE the 06-08 650r's, and funny enough I didn't even consider buying one, I wanted an SV but I stopped into a Kawi dealership, saw the 09 for the first time, and put down the deposit.
SV650s (any) = Maybe
650r (06-08) = No
650r (09+) = Yes
Mmm yeah the SV sounds better, and because its been around it has been proven so better reliability. I saw a few defects on the Ninja from owners on Youtube. Why Do you hate the 06-08 Ninjas? Im looking at an 08 slightly used or they even have brand new left overs. Theyre priced at around 4.5k new and under 4k slightly used. The SV is on average $300 more expensive which is nothing.

I drive very fast as is without a fast bike, so since their performance is identical acceleration wise which is all I care about. I wana see which is the best handling, fastest stopping bike because in the real world thats what counts the most out of anything.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Figured I'd post up here since not too many SV owners have yet.

I have owned an 06 "s" for a year now and I think it's absolutely amazing. Great torque, power, hearing it run through the gears is great too. I have the half faired version which makes it SOOOO easy to work on. It literally takes longer to wait for the oil to drain out of the bike than to do everything else for an oil change. Something to think about if you like doing your own wrench work like me. I came from a ninja 500 so I was looking for a little more of a sporty riding position and the SV is perfect, sporty but still commutable, which is how I ride my bike, I commute everywhere on it.

Complaints........hard seat, thats about it.

I love it, doesn't mean I don't really want an 03-06 636 as my next bike tho:)

Like I said the SV is great, 14,000 trouble free miles and i had about the same on my ninja and it was solid as well. I think it mostly comes down to looks and seating preference as most people have said.

·
Registered
10 Posts
nice!

i was looking at those too. even though id like to stay with suzuki. the reviews on the kawi were better. what are your impressions?
The motor is amazing. The bike is great. I love it. It's a great commuter bike, and it's a great beginner bike. The suspension uses cheaper parts than the super sport bikes, but you get that with all of your choices.

I threw a GSXR 600/750 shock in the rear to make it a little better ($30 bucks on ebay!). Tasteful mods on these bikes will go a long way. Again, that's the same with ALL of these bikes.

I think the bike will last me quite a while. It's more than a beginner bike for me.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Figured I'd post up here since not too many SV owners have yet.

I have owned an 06 "s" for a year now and I think it's absolutely amazing. Great torque, power, hearing it run through the gears is great too. I have the half faired version which makes it SOOOO easy to work on. It literally takes longer to wait for the oil to drain out of the bike than to do everything else for an oil change. Something to think about if you like doing your own wrench work like me. I came from a ninja 500 so I was looking for a little more of a sporty riding position and the SV is perfect, sporty but still commutable, which is how I ride my bike, I commute everywhere on it.

Complaints........hard seat, thats about it.

I love it, doesn't mean I don't really want an 03-06 636 as my next bike tho:)

Like I said the SV is great, 14,000 trouble free miles and i had about the same on my ninja and it was solid as well. I think it mostly comes down to looks and seating preference as most people have said.
Ive heard about the seat as well, supposedly it was less padded to keep height down. I could just get a new seat with more padding I suppose.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts