Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well im in desperate need of an oil change. First time with a suzuki. With the r6 i always changed with yamalube synthetic oil. Im sure theres some kind of a suzuki replacement. Where can i get some?
 

·
DT is happy it snowed
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
You might want to try out Mobil 1 15w50. 5 bucks/quart, can get it from any auto store. I've been running it for around 17000 miles now on the 6 and no issues at all. Otherwise just go to a suzuki dealership and they'll have something like you were talking about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Get bike oil. Your owners manual (or the service manual) will give you the weight of the oil you should use, given the temperature ranges you'll be running the bike in. Follow that.. roughly. That's about it. If you want to get something poncié, then you can go up to Corse and get some AMSOIL full synth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
I don't know what poncié means, but I do like AMSOIL. It definitely smoothed out the shifting on my bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
I bought some synthetic blend... golden something... white bottle with gold/yellow lettering. works smooth and great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
878 Posts
I just put the cheapest oil I can find from walmart in both my FZ1 and my SV650S. Last weekend I put in regular old 10w 40 Penzoil. I just make sure the oil doesn't say anything about friction modifers, but even if I miss that on the label I don't worry. I put over 5000 miles on the SV since I last changed the oil too. I think I put 8000 miles on the FZ1 since last change too.

I wouldn't worry too much. My bikes haven't blown up yet. I'm pretty hard on them too. You should be ok with whatever oil you put in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,314 Posts
FZ1 Matt said:
I just put the cheapest oil I can find from walmart in both my FZ1 and my SV650S. Last weekend I put in regular old 10w 40 Penzoil. I just make sure the oil doesn't say anything about friction modifers, but even if I miss that on the label I don't worry. I put over 5000 miles on the SV since I last changed the oil too. I think I put 8000 miles on the FZ1 since last change too.

I wouldn't worry too much. My bikes haven't blown up yet. I'm pretty hard on them too. You should be ok with whatever oil you put in.
I'm the same way but I just go to the gas station. I pay for oil changes what some pay for one bottle of oil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What dealerships around here are suzuki. Im on the north side of milwaukee, 99th and goodhope. I dont have an owners manual so i dont know what weight or type of oil to get.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
605 Posts
"BIKE OIL" you guys read to many magizines!! Walmart...Mobil 10W40, with the right API (SF- SG) $1.10 a QT, Ive been using it for 4000 miles this year so far and 25 ( hard ) passes down the strip , not 1 problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
2002 Busa SE said:
"BIKE OIL" you guys read to many magizines!! Walmart...Mobil 10W40, with the right API (SF- SG) $1.10 a QT, Ive been using it for 4000 miles this year so far and 25 ( hard ) passes down the strip , not 1 problem.
Functionally, that's what Bike oil is. And if they guy's asking "what oil should I get", the likely hood of him going in and getting the right oil diminishes. And, having had to replace the fricton plates on the clutch because some crafty guy bought cheap penzoil full-synth for his bike and it fugged it up, kinda eats away any profit he might have saved from cheaping on the oil ;)

I didn't say go pay stupid prices for suzuki re-labled oil. I just said get bike oil for bikes.

Poncé is a nicery way of saying "snooty".

You can translate my post as "just throw whatever in there". Even the weight is pretty irrelivent at the startup temperatures most of our bikes (FZ1 not included) start at. Just change it regularly.

I mostly use Golden Spectro just like that other guy above. It's like $2 a quart. So it's slightly more expensive than the $1.10 one, but $3 a month isn't going to effect me one way or the other.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
605 Posts
just giving you a hard time ( when you say bike oil for bikes? whats that??), i mean if your bike calls for API SF-SG and Suzuki oil is the same rating why waste the $$$, I know it works because one night I ran 8 times, sometimes 2 minutes apart, you could feel the heat coming off the clutch cover, it never slipped once and still came out clean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
2002 Busa SE said:
you could feel the heat coming off the clutch cover, it never slipped once and still came out clean.
Nice. Ouch for the oil though. Busa's have an aux oil cooler on them? You'd think the Turbo'd guys would want a b***** sump with an oil cooler.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
605 Posts
yes, it has a little coil for cooling on the front, some even use coolant to cool the oil. Its easier to shop walmart anytime of the day, I can get my food, boxers, toiletpaper ...and Oil and filter all in 1 trip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
I have been using standard Spectro 20/50 in my bikes for the last 5 years no problems at all, I tried synthetic a few years back when I had a ZX7R the motor got really loud, and shifting got harder, switched back to spectro problem went away.
 

·
DT is happy it snowed
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
shadownynja said:
What dealerships around here are suzuki. Im on the north side of milwaukee, 99th and goodhope. I dont have an owners manual so i dont know what weight or type of oil to get.

A yellow pages phone book would be very helpful in this matter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
I use synth. gold specto on the gsxr750, the prices are pretty universal where ever you go, I usually pick up from sportland 2 even though I hate the place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
452 Posts
Just go with any motor oil that isn't "Energy Conserving" in the weight that your owner's manual recommends.

I used to use 20W-40 Yamalube dino. Next oil change I'll be using Shell Rotella T 15W-40 dino.
 

·
Jerk
Joined
·
990 Posts
Rogue6 said:
A yellow pages phone book would be very helpful in this matter.
Freshman year we shredded a pallat (sp?) of phone books in an elevator in our dorm one night. Was cool at the time until we need a phone book about a month later.

Tom.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
452 Posts
mr_druid said:
Freshman year we shredded a pallat (sp?) of phone books in an elevator in our dorm one night. Was cool at the time until we need a phone book about a month later.

Tom.
What does this have to do with the thread? :dunno
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top