Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am new to sportbikes and I have heard too many stories about how the 600cc bikes are too much for a new rider. I have recently been looking for a good starter bike and I came across a 1989 Suzuki GS500E with 27,000 miles on it. The price for the bike is $1,600. Also I am 6'0 tall and around 170. Would this bike be good for me? Thanks.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Yes, the GS500 is one of the more-often suggestion first bikes along with the Kawi ex500. The GS is older technology (air cooled etc.), but solid. Many feel the Kawi is a better bike, but the GS should serve you well. Try sitting on one, but I think the fit should be OK for you. That price is at least $200 high, though. If a private seller (opposed to a dealer) it's even a worse price. Try for $1200-1300 (assuming it's in good shape).

Good job on starting with a reasonable bike and don't forget to take the MSF course. Ride safe and have fun!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also was looking at 1987 Kawaski EX500 16,000 miles (1,800) and a 1986 Honda Interceptor 46,000 miles (1,800). All of these are from the same dealer. What are your thoughts on these?

·
old member
13,079 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips, I wasn't aware that I was being quoted a price too high. I guess I was blinded by the thought of being able to ride and wanting a bike quickly.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Buying any type of vehicle from a dealer requires that you to be armed with pricing information. The dealer is just trying to make a buck. If he can sell a $1400 bike for $1800 and the buyer is happy, oh well. Dealers expect some negotiation on the price and you shouldn't accept their first quote. Find out the values of the bikes you're looking at then head back there. If you're not comfortable playing this "game", maybe there's someone that you can bring with you?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would you recommend paying in cash, does this make the transaction easier or give me an advantage in negociating the price?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
A dealer probably doesn't care too much how you pay as long as you do. They may even make a little extra if they arrange the financing. Dealers don't carry their own loans, they only arrange them. They're not waiting for their money as you pay it off. If the dealer knows you've got $xx in cash and will buy today, that may be an advantage. It's the buying today and moving the bike that is attractive to them.

When buying from a private seller, cash is the only way most sellers will let the bike leave their possession.

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
That 'ceptor a 500 or a 700/750? I don't know how heavy the 500s are, but the 700 is a boat. You wouldn't want it for a first bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hagios said:
That 'ceptor a 500 or a 700/750? I don't know how heavy the 500s are, but the 700 is a boat. You wouldn't want it for a first bike.
Yeah it is a 500 and I think it weighs around the mid 400 lbs range, I'm not sure what a good weight is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also from the bikes I have listed can anyone tell me what would be best for insurance purposes and also which bike is most comfortable and reliable. Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts