Sport Bikes banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Road Kill
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think about this bike in comparrison to a ninja 500r? The one I am looking at is a 1992 with 8000 miles for $1700, and it looks pretty good. Should I stay away from it since it is pretty old, or will it run fine?

It looks like this

·
Road Kill
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So no one knows stuff about this bike? I'm having a hard time finding info about it online and I was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience on it?

What problems can I expect when it has 8000 miles? Should I not even bother and just stick with a ninja 250/500/sv650?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
The Bandits have a good following. Give it some time and some will post up.
You may consider:google

·
Registered
12,427 Posts
Those are very cool little bikes. It is essentially a detuned GSXR 400 motor, the old air/oil cooled one. All Bandits use the same technology, and it is bulletproof. 8K isn't very much. Check the seals to make sure they haven't all dried out, and make sure the oil has been changed. It may need a valve adjustment, but other than that, it should be fine if it hasn't been left in a field to rust into a heap.

They are flickable little screamers, as are most 400s. Too bad they never really caught on in the US, because they make great low budget race bikes and are a blast to bomb around on. Think 250 GP bike with more relaxed ergos and a forgiving powerband. Good stuff. I don't know much about how they should be priced, but $1700 sounds very decent to me if it is running well and has fairly new rubber. If he is negotiable, so much the better.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
they are fun bikes, I have a friend who had one and it was a blast to ride. If it checks out then I would get it.

·
BOOYAM
545 Posts
I am the resident Bandit 400 expert! :p I got mine as my first bike last year, and I couldnt be happier! Mine had 56,000 km on it when I got it, and no problems whatsoever! It's getting a bit harder to start these days, but I think it just needs a good carb clean/rebuild (replace o-rings etc). Still runs perfectly fine for an older bike!

For $1700, I'd go for it. It's super light, easy to flick around, and very easy to work on. its got around 60hp, which is a bit more than the GS500 and EX500, and it SCREAMS to 14,000 rpm! I really love it as a first bike, and if I didnt do so much damn highway riding, I would probably keep it forever (makes a great city bike, can get a little tiring on the highway, since it has no fairing).

Any questions just let me know! :D

some pics

when I first brought her home

·
Registered
1 Posts
I need some advise

I just started riding my 1991 suzuki bandit 400 and the bike runs great. Except for the fact that it won't idle for more than a few seconds. Does this mean that I should adjust the idle speed or is it something more complicated?

·
Are we not men?
9,023 Posts
They are a great little bike. A friend has one. The only bad thing he has to say about it is that parts can be almost impossible to find.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I just started riding my 1991 suzuki bandit 400 and the bike runs great. Except for the fact that it won't idle for more than a few seconds. Does this mean that I should adjust the idle speed or is it something more complicated?
Could be the idle speed, or it could be something else fuel delivery related.

If it sat for a while, could be the gas went bad or that the carbs gummed up. It's possible it is running OK when you give it gas, but the fuel flow is restricted at idle. Easy fix will be to run SeaFoam through it with a tank of gas and see if that clears out the jets and fuel circuits. If that doesn't do it, you may need to pull the carbs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am the resident Bandit 400 expert! :p I got mine as my first bike last year, and I couldnt be happier! Mine had 56,000 km on it when I got it, and no problems whatsoever! It's getting a bit harder to start these days, but I think it just needs a good carb clean/rebuild (replace o-rings etc). Still runs perfectly fine for an older bike!

For $1700, I'd go for it. It's super light, easy to flick around, and very easy to work on. its got around 60hp, which is a bit more than the GS500 and EX500, and it SCREAMS to 14,000 rpm! I really love it as a first bike, and if I didnt do so much damn highway riding, I would probably keep it forever (makes a great city bike, can get a little tiring on the highway, since it has no fairing).

Any questions just let me know! :D

some pics

when I first brought her home

WHERE DID YOU GET THAT SCREEN FOR YOUR BANDIT

·
Are we not men?
9,023 Posts
Holy dead thread batman! Jonny Thrice hasn't been on the board since 2016.

Since the Zombie is alive, I guess I could update from my earlier post. About a month after I posted, I found one about 7 miles from me with 7600 miles on it. Previous owner had rebuilt the carbs and it ran like a champ, still does. Had to replace all of the o-rings in the carbs about 2 years after I bought it but it's a dependable fun little bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts