Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know where i could find the settings for the stock suspension for a 220 pound rider the manual states only base stiings for a 150-160 pound rider.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Don't bother copying that, the editors at SR weigh like 150lbs. DO read their entire suspension section and tweak yours with your newly acquired knowledge. Honestly I doubt the stock stuff will work brilliantly for a 220 pounder no matter what you do. But set your sag, play with the damping, see what happens. If you're riding on the street you might end up satisfied.

·
Registered
521 Posts
You really need to have someone set your suspension for YOU. All bikes are different. If you can't find someone to do it then you should go to a dealership or shop that has a race team and is experienced with this and have them set it up for you. Going off someone elses settings is too inaccurate.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I say read up and do it yourself, learn something along the way. A lot of it is personal preference anyway.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
ecir said:
You really need to have someone set your suspension for YOU. All bikes are different. If you can't find someone to do it then you should go to a dealership or shop that has a race team and is experienced with this and have them set it up for you. Going off someone elses settings is too inaccurate.
This is the route I went. It made a world of difference!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
nig said:
I say read up and do it yourself, learn something along the way. A lot of it is personal preference anyway.

+1 - start with everything in the middle (after setting sag) and go from there.

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0006_susp/

As was stated earlier, it is best to do this on the track.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your advice......the more I read the more I lean towards changing the suspension keep in mind I am not a pro at any means but I want the ability to adjust the suspension as I advance on it ....This is something I will want to do myself althou I will pick as many brains as I can....and at my size from what I can tell I would have a wider range of adjustment by shelfing the stock components.

·
Registered
521 Posts
nig said:

That is a good option as well however you need three friends. Kind of hard to take the measurments yourself when you have to sit on the bike in riding position with someone holding the front and back of the bike up. :cheers

·
Registered
521 Posts
danezx10r said:
Thank you all for your advice......the more I read the more I lean towards changing the suspension keep in mind I am not a pro at any means but I want the ability to adjust the suspension as I advance on it ....This is something I will want to do myself althou I will pick as many brains as I can....and at my size from what I can tell I would have a wider range of adjustment by shelfing the stock components.
Changing your suspension to fit yu will make a WORLD of difference

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Crap Three? I live in Georgia ..all my neighbors are hunting and I dont think they would like their wifes helping me....but it is a thought !!
Maybe by the time I break in the engine and get the parts they will be back.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
For sag measurement? I've done it with one friend, though it helps if one of you is relatively strong (enough to lift one end of the bike). Only one end of the bike has to be lifted at a time for the full travel measurements, and the rider doesn't have to be sitting on it at that point. For the rider sag measurements two friends is ideal, one to hold the bike upright while you sit on it and another to measure, but you can get creative about holding the bike up. You can lean it mostly upright against a wall, I used a long ratcheting tie down at two points on the frame and wrapped around a post to hold the bike up, while my g/f measured.

Play with the stock stuff for a while, see if you like it. If you see something lacking, then upgrade.

·
Gonna go far on my GSX-R!
2,238 Posts
so how easy is it to change suspension settings? I don't have to do it on my bike but i've been interested in the 10r because all the magazines say its such a great bike; all it needs is a steering damper and new suspension settings. I dont know much about it at all; how big of a deal is it?

·
2,238 Posts
nig said:
Why wouldn't you have to change them on your GSX-R?
because I'm not having any problems with them and they feel pretty good. I heard that it really is a good idea to change them on the zx10 though so i just wanted to know

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
The actual process isn't hard, just a few turns of a wrench or screwdriver. It is more difficult to understand what the changes are doing.

·
2,238 Posts
so could an amateur do it or is it better left in the hands of someone more professional?

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Up to you. Some people take their bike to a "professional" for an oil change, others rebuild the bottom end in their back yard with a Clymer manual. Suspension is just another skill to learn. Will you get it set up as well as a true suspension tuner? Maybe, but not likely. Will you get it set up as well as the average service tech at the dealership? Most probably.

·
Registered
26 Posts
poulsen said:
because I'm not having any problems with them and they feel pretty good. I heard that it really is a good idea to change them on the zx10 though so i just wanted to know
What you should have heard was that nearly all bikes need suspension adjustments from the factory. This is not specific to the 10R but a general statement for all bikes - set the sag then tweak the suspension to suit your riding style. Sag needs 2-3 people to do, but the rest can be done by the rider providing he/she knows what's what. The tweaking part should be done on the track.

Many shops set the suspension to the middle of the adjustment range when they uncrate the bikes, but I always check. My 10R came set in the middle from my dealer and it wasn't bad. I then set it to the Sport Rider suggested settings which were a little better, but made it hard to turn at high speed (anything over 120). So I backed off the preload in front and problem solved.

Having just installed my Penske, I will now have to do it all over again but hey - I like playing with my suspension!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts