Sport Bikes banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
THE BIG CHEEZE
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

some buddies and i are going down to delaware to have a good time this friday thru monday...

we're thinking of trying our hand at surf fishing and crabbing...

I purchased a 10' sea pole, I have an old vintage mitchell reel.. I have a bunch of tackle from my father...

I have heard basic's about what to use (will be talking to the fishing shop down there to find out what is biting and what it is biting on). I have heard some good places to fish in delaware.

However, I don't really know any of the basics of where to place my sinker in relation to the hook, do i use a bobber? etc... Does anyone have a online site that I just can't find with a pictoral guide?

We are going fishing in the Delaware Seashore state Park area....

Any tips would help!

~mikeym

·
You're a Daisy if ya do
8,534 Posts
Hey Mike, I have surf fished in MD, & NC. Surf fishing is tough. My advice is to watch what the others are doing, and IF anyone is catching anything, go to the bait store and get what they are getting.
Some bait stores will sell you what they want to get rid of. If he's got a frezzer full of squid, then that's what he is going to tell you to use.
There are links to surfishing on Google and it's a good place to start.

Crabbing, that's an easy one. Find the smelliest, dead thing you can find and tie it to a string. Put it in the Bay, or sound (not the ocean) and wait for them to start eating. Then pull them up slowly and dip net them.

Good luck and let us know how you did.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Another option for crabbing is use a trap that they can't crawl out of. Tie whatever insanely dead nasty thing you find inside very well or it can be stolen by crabs or even seals. Patience and pull it on the hour or so (been a while and this depends on how the crabs are "biting"). Split the crabs over an upturned ax blade (watch your hands) and then cook (that way you're not cooking them in their own poo. Oh and don't forget to get the local regulations and a crab measuring tool.

Good luck.

·
Shitbike
9,822 Posts
I've always had luck with squid and minnows. Especially squid - cut the meat into triangles about 2" long and 1/2" wide. You don't want the bait to be too big because you'll end up getting little shit that does nothing but nibble and won't take the hook.

Here's what you need, there's a convenient loop that hangs below the hooks that is designed to hold a sinker. Depending on tide and current, you may need anywhere from 3-8oz sinkers.

·
THE BIG CHEEZE
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys! i'll keep everyone posted... I hear surf fishing is real hard... even for experianced guys. from what i have been told, the dog days of summer are not the best time to go either...

·
Registered
417 Posts
I always had luck with pieces of mullet, or shrimp. If the surf's small try this. Put your line through an egg sinker and tie it to a swivel. Then put on an 18" liter to the other end of the swivel with a wide bend eagle claw on the on the end. It's a great rig for whiting, redfish, whatever. If it's a bit b***** surf try a pyramid style sinker as it will hold it's ground a little better than the egg.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.