Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone else has tried this. I ordered some MRM TurboDrive preworkout which I have really taken a liking too. But I got a free sample of this MusclePharm Assault with it. Tried it today, and at first thought "wow, this is really good stuff" but about half way through my workout was feeling lethargic, way too hyped up mentally, and dehydrated. Now it is about 4 hours later, and my heart rate is still high (not dangerously high, but noticeably higher than my normal resting heart rate). I feel slightly jittery, yet weak despite getting barely half of my workout done today. I've since rehydrated, but it hasn't helped with the issues much.

I'm not worried about it just yet, but am wondering if anyone else has experienced issues and/or tried this preworkout before. Also giving a warning, but I may just be a unique case. FWIW, I'm a 21 year old, healthy male who works out about 4-5 times/week and have never had an issue with preworkouts before and have been using them for years.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Did you take it on an empty stomach or have more than average caffeine throughout the day? Both of those can lead to jitters and lethargic workouts. Usually I prefer to have at least a little food in my stomach before I take my pwo. But it could also be the mix in assault. I hear people who haven't taken it before get jitters the first few times. But not usually a adrenaline dump mid workout.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not empty. I like to workout about 2 hours after eating, and so I took it about 1.5 hours after my last meal. Not more than average caffeine, just my normal one cup of coffee in the day. Yeah, the adrenaline dump seemed super weird. I still feel oddly lethargic :/ I'll just avoid this in the future.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I tried to do a search on this stuff and all I got was your post on nerdfitnessrebellion.com. What your describing sounds like too much caffeine. But without seeing a list of ingredients, and a medical doctorate degree, I don't know if I can offer much help.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No worries. Things have calmed down after about 6 hours after ingestion. Yeah, I posted up there too. I will just avoid it in the future.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Unless you know and understand the mechanism of action of the supplement you're taking, you're just playing a guessing game. Hell, even if you know the mechanism of action, you're still playing a guessing game. These supplements aren't given thorough testing to look for adverse effects, like pharmaceuticals that are put through the rigors of FDA approval. Even drugs subjected to FDA approval sometimes slip through with major deadly consequences (such as Vioxx, which now is blamed for deaths measured in the tens of thousands).

You're experiencing adverse effects of an untested drug. Quit while you're ahead. You don't need supplements to see results from a good workout regimen.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unless you know and understand the mechanism of action of the supplement you're taking, you're just playing a guessing game. Hell, even if you know the mechanism of action, you're still playing a guessing game. These supplements aren't given thorough testing to look for adverse effects, like pharmaceuticals that are put through the rigors of FDA approval. Even drugs subjected to FDA approval sometimes slip through with major deadly consequences (such as Vioxx, which now is blamed for deaths measured in the tens of thousands).

You're experiencing adverse effects of an untested drug. Quit while you're ahead. You don't need supplements to see results.
Yeah, I usually do a lot of research about preworkouts, but got it as a free sample and thought "what the heck" last time I do that! Probably had way too much caffeine. I know I don't need them, but sometimes it is hard to get that motivation up to work out after a 14 hour day and a supp can help me get the workout that I want/need. Being a Chemistry nerd I do a lot of research, and should have here (especially since I advocate it heavily).

I'm not taking that supp again.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Eh... some pre-workouts use different ingredients for delivery mechanisms... it could be that... it could be that MP puts more caffeine in there than other preworkout formulas (proprietary blend makes it impossible to tell and personally I think it should be a legal requirement to disclose the potency of stimulants). Could be a completely non-disclosed ingredient... which wouldn't surprise me AT ALL.

It could have been something personal that you did differently that day.

One thing about the ingredient matrix that I noticed is that there is Rhodiola in there and Some people are SUPER sensitive to that shit and it can cause the restlessness/heart rate/insomnia/etc... I dunno about the lethargy though.

Even preworkouts that are almost identical in proprietary blends the tiny difference in ingredients will make a HUGE difference in your body.

For Example...
Jack3d: Lethargy after workouts, insane dehydration
1MR: Causes Nausea and Headaches for a lot of people
There is another one I can't think of the name of right now... but it's pretty much the exact same thing as the two above and everybody I've known that used it (including myself) threw it up not too long after taking it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts