Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my first RR today, 2012 Zx6r. Was a repo. Changed the oil, charged the battery, got the wasps from under the seat. For some reason I always thought they were a lot taller and b*****, especially the way idiots are always dropping them. I would have to really screw up to drop this thing. I wish it was taller and the pegs lower. Knees bent a bit far Sorta looks like a toy when you're sitting on it. Doesn't feel like 425lbs either.

Feels easy to ride. More gutless than my 250 sumo until 8k rpms. It doesn't just read your mind and lean though, you have to make it even moreso than my cruiser with a car tire on it. Going to need to take it slow through the twisties a few times to adjust. The gears are really close together so I shift two at a time in traffic. It always sounds like its going 200mph even when you're trying to putt putt. Aaaaannnd at 14k rpms in first it pops a wheelie even with my fat ass leaning over the front. The front brake can also throw you over the bars with just your pinky pulling it. Honestly its too strong. Would be easier to modulate if it were weaker. Going to have to practice some panic stops before I jump into morning rush traffic.
Thats my impression of going from a sumo to a sport.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Lets get some pics! How many miles are on it? What do the tires look like? Not flatspotted? I guess it would be harder to turn than a sumo but should be way easier to turn than a cruiser with a car tire. Have you set the sag? What exhaust is on it that its so loud? You'll probably get used to the brakes. Congrats!

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tires just starting to get a flat spot. 1535 miles on it. Exhaust two brothers. Haven't set sag or anything yet. Ran out of time to tweak it today but I'm sure I'll play with it all day tomorrow lol.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
Get used to the idea, you have to keep them on a boil or they just aint happy.
...well not till you get into liter displacements, then it doesn't matter.

Exactly why we scream not to get a 600 for a first bike.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I don't mind the weak bottom end. Just surprising. I thought people were exaggerating. Its still plenty useable though. I happily shift into 6th around 40 and more than keep up with traffic. I am going to do something about the sound though. Ordering a quiet insert and may modify that to further quiet it. If that's not enough, stock exhaust from eBay. I like to occasionally accelerate hard and don't like announcing it. Sure it sounds good but it limits fun.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
The turning issue doesn't sound right, could be the tire pressure isn't right. Or you just need to air them up a bit. My Street Triple didn't turn great when I bought it, added 2 psi to the front over factory spec and it turned great. Got rid of the shit Dunlops and it turned even better.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
The turning issue doesn't sound right, could be the tire pressure isn't right. Or you just need to air them up a bit. My Street Triple didn't turn great when I bought it, added 2 psi to the front over factory spec and it turned great. Got rid of the shit Dunlops and it turned even better.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I'm guessing its a posture thing. If you are sitting square on the seat it takes a fair bit of muscle to keel over a super sport.

If you want it to rail you have to be down and inside.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
The seating position feels weird because of what you're used to. It'll feel more natural as you learn to ride it the way it's designed. 600s generally dont have any power under 6k or so, that's just the nature of the beast. As for the brakes, when you're doing 150 down the main straight and have to slow for a 2nd gear 90* corner they wont seem too strong at all. If anything you'll want them to be stronger, I know I did on my ZX6. These are all reasons that 600 SuperSports aren't great beginner or street bikes. They are simply designed for a different kind of riding and rider.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went out riding a good portion of the day. I like it a lot. Proper air pressure helped the handling. I had it set more like where my supermoto was and it just wasn't enough.
Going to give the riding position a while and see if my muscles compensate before doing anything like ordering raised clip ons. Its not painful, just tiring after about 30 minutes. Luckily my commute is about 30 minutes :) .
I love how although its pretty gutless at the bottom of the rev range its still completely usable and electric smooth down there. My VTX and WR both run like crap if you don't have them churned up enough.

I agree it would not be a good first bike at all. Neither would my cruiser or the other cruisers I've ridden. I think where I started, on a light supermoto, was probably the best possible place to start, that or a dual sport. Just so forgiving.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts