Sport Bikes banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past couple days, my forks have been ultra super uber mushy, to the point of being unbearable at low speeds and dangerous in corners, where it rebounds too much and loses traction.
I can with one hand push on the bars and push the forks all the way down.
Before this it was a lot stiffer.

My first thought was seals, but nothing is leaking. My second thought was that maybe something happened when I went off the road last week(slid up against a guard rail at 40mph), but I didn't notice any difference at first.

I know the stock forks are craptastic, and it's on my to do list, but what the hell could be wrong?

On a side note, I took some pictures today. Note the fairing :bitchslap and my half ass blacked out radiator guards.

·
Registered
60 Posts
something that happened to me on my dirtbike once, which may help you, or may be totally off base... wjen I removed and reinstalled my front wheel, I didnt get it aligned right, and the fork tubes were either pointing in or out at the bottom, not sure which. but once I got it all back together, it did kinda like you are describing. if felt like with very little pressure, I could totally bottom out the forks, and then on my bike, they would sometimes get hung up bottomed out. what I did was loosen the deals on the forks that held them onto the axle, not totally undone, but loose, and then jump up and down on the front end a dozen or so times to work the forks up and down. that got the forks into proper alignment, and then I tightened them back down on the axle, and never had a problem. I dont know if you knocked your forks slightly out of alignment, or slightly bent one, or what... i'm sure someone who knows what they are talking about will chime in shortly

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I would do a full on fork inspection.
Put the bike on the center stand.
Put some weight on the bikes ass end and pull the forks off.

Do a detailed inspection of the bikes front end.
Pull the fork caps off and check fliud level.
Pull the springs out.
Check forks to see if they are straight and true. etc.

Problems have a way of revealing themselves... under closer scrutiny.

It would be a good idea to have some fork oil on hand when you do this.
Maybe even go 15 weight... while you are there.

You should NOT be able to compress the front springs that easily.

·
butt marker
1,715 Posts
Perhaps a broken spring/spacer cracked? Maybe worn out oil, but your bike isn't that old. My guess is that a spring failed. Take the caps off one side at a time and pull out the spring and spacer and see what is going on.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I don't think the valves could do that. You would still have the spring pressure which would prevent you from totally compressing the forks with one hand. My bet is a spring spacer has broken which would take all the preload off the spring or both springs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts