Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a 2005 YZF-R1 with 1700 miles on it and the price was a little higher to account for the super low miles. I started to wonder if it's really a better bike, 1700 miles in 10 years is 170 miles per year, something I do on a single ride sometimes "I rode about 10,000 miles this year".

How could a bike have mileage that low without being abused? Can a bike be properly maintained only riding it 170 miles per year? It seems like a 10 year old with 10,000 miles would be in better shape. Am I wrong? What do you guys think?

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,883 Posts
170 miles per year, that's an average but I doubt that is how the bike racked up the miles. It is way more likely that it was ridden 1000 miles the year it got out of the dealership, 700 miles the next year and then it was stored and forgotten...

Properly mantained? What manteinance? At this point it will need new tires, brake lines, probably the coolant hoses might be on their way out, etc. But any other R1 of the same vintage will need the same stuff, so...

I think it might make for a good deal, it is likely that it was less abused than other bikes of the same age. Notice that I said "likely", you should still check it out like any other bike, don't assume anything, for all we know the guy that bought it could have killed himself riding it and the bike was rebuilt.

·
Super Moderator
9,239 Posts
This kind of stuff happens all the time. People always think it would be SO COOL to own a bike. They get one, tool around town for a few months, winter comes and it gets put away and forgotten. Life happens. Girlfriends/wives happen. Interests change. The list of reasons that some people don't ride is near endless.

It's not just sportbikes. I have a guy I work with who bought a used police Harley from a car dealership on a whim this past spring/summer sometime. Rode it around the block a few times. The bike has still never left his neighborhood. First he had to have it lowered so his feet would touch better, then the seat wasn't right, then he was having trouble with some knee pain. Before he knew it the snow was flying and he didn't even put two miles on it this year.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
The other thing I would consider with a low mileage used bike is how it was stored. Inside a garage on stands, change fluids and go. Not on stands, probably change fluids and tires.

Outside, forgetaboutit.

You should easily be able to tell the difference in person.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
My bike only has about 10,000 miles, and its and '03. I just don't ride like I used to, and I certainly am not taking it on any big trips. Got it with 1500 miles, the guy was scared of it. I would be too if I had any sense.

If the bike is used regularly I wouldn't worry about it at all. But if it sat for a long time I'd worry about engine corrosion. Rubber will rot after awhile too.

·
Human After All
4,676 Posts
My bike only has about 10,000 miles, and its and '03. I just don't ride like I used to, and I certainly am not taking it on any big trips. Got it with 1500 miles, the guy was scared of it. I would be too if I had any sense.

If the bike is used regularly I wouldn't worry about it at all. But if it sat for a long time I'd worry about engine corrosion. Rubber will rot after awhile too.
It has 1700 miles. There's literally no way it could be "used regularly"

Walk on by this one unless you have copious free time to spend replacing anything rubber.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I would not dismiss it solely on its lack of miles or being ridden. However I would be very skeptical of whether or not that is actual mileage and inspect everything even more closely than a bike with more "normal" miles for its age.

Those could be gauges off another R1 that was totaled early etc, look it over very closely but the "low" mileage really does not add any value IMO, so if you like it and it looks good, negotiate down to what other 05 R1 are actually selling for.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Lots of possibilities for why its so low miles. It could have been a stunt bike but that would likely be obvious, it could have been a drag bike but there are things to look for on that as well, could have been the owner got scared or many many other things. Find out as much as you can and inspect the hell out of it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I don't think it could be used regularly with mileage that low :/

PS. You're from midgard? So am I! ;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I'm gonna pass on this bike. There's another 2006 R1 about 5 hours away from me and the guy said he'd take my 2002 F4i plus $2800 for it. It's got 14,000 miles and no visible damage. I think more mileage and no damage might be indicative of someone who took care of it and actually used it.

You guys think that's a good deal? My F4i is right at 30,000 miles.
here's a link:

2006 YAMAHA R1 YZF R-1

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I got that one I'd either get it painted or buy chinese fairings. I really really like the white on white R1.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Check for wear over 1700 miles. Too often, bikes are repaired from crashes and the speedo is replaced with a low mileage speedo. Check the miles on the title too.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Around here that would be nothing out of the ordinary. I think Craigslist considers anything over 15k high mileage and stuff under 5k low mileage.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,883 Posts
You must inspect ANY bike, never trust the buyer. For example, on the 1700 mile bike I'd look for:

- OEM tires and check the date, I've seen "low mile" bikes with tires older than the bike.
- Wear on the levers.
- Wear on the brake rotors.

You can replace the gauges, but there are many areas that will give away a bike's true mileage.

One more possibility is that the bike could have been a race bike. Guy buys the bike, puts on race fairings and stores all the tuperware in a box. Once he is not racing anymore then the bike gets back it's new, unused, street tupperware. Race bikes don't rack up many miles.

I think I'm gonna pass on this bike. There's another 2006 R1 about 5 hours away from me and the guy said he'd take my 2002 F4i plus $2800 for it. It's got 14,000 miles and no visible damage. I think more mileage and no damage might be indicative of someone who took care of it and actually used it.

You guys think that's a good deal? My F4i is right at 30,000 miles.
here's a link:

2006 YAMAHA R1 YZF R-1
That bike has been wrecked BAD. 2006 blue and yellow (aniversary edition) R1 had golden forks, the raven and red had black forks. That bike has either been crashed hard enough to repaint it and/or crashed hard enough to need new forks.

Walk away from that mess.

- "Chazzo" levers.
- Chinese windscreen, usually free with a set of Chinese fairings.
- Too much orange peel on the paint.
- Poor fitting fairings, easily seen on the RAM air cover.
- Yamaha in the tail seems to be painted over.
- Forks do not match the color and year.

Usually bikes look better in pictures than IRL, if I can spot so many wrong things about it with simple, low quality pictures, I'm not going to waste time looking at it.

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
In 1982 I bought a new in the box 1979 CB650. 3 years of sitting. The fork seals went out

In 2012 I bought a used Buell 1125R with 129 miles on it. 3 years of sitting. The fork seals went out. An engine gasket went out

YMMV, but I do think they have issues when they sit

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
that white R1 looks good to me and a decent price too. Personally I dont care about chinese fairings and windscreens....it's superficial stuff. The chain looks like it's been taken care of....that's a good sign.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
How much wear could you put on a chain in 1700 miles of sunny slow days? I would much prefer a bike of that year to have 10k miles

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nothing wrong with buying low mileage used bikes. That's the way I've done it most of the times. My two recent low mileage purchases?
2008 V Rod 5K miles; 833 avg miles per year. I now have 12K miles on it.
2012 GSXR 750 350 miles; I now have 2K miles on it

I don't fall into the buying a 15K mile bike. While you are right that is not much on a bike; why buy something with so many miles when there are so many to pick from with much less miles? Think of resale time. How easy will it be to sell when you put another 10-15K miles?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts