Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall, weather permitting, I'm thinking of going out for a ride tomorrow and anyone who is willing not to laugh at me (I'm still struggling with the bike, I keep stalling it and dropping or dumping it but I'll get it sooner or later) that wants to come along tomorrow let me know, either PM me or call my cell 745 9191. I'd love to go out there with people and I have only ridden by myself so far, maybe if someone comes with me they can tell me what it is that I'm doing wrong all the time. No clue what time or where to yet, let me know whats good for everyone else

·
Registered
504 Posts
Well its a good thing that other fairing wasnt installed !! :twofinger Any way I have to work for a little bit today , after that I WILL be rideing today ....

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
R1CK said:
Let me know when you stop dumping it, And maybe i will ride wit ya.
Yeah I'm still learning like I said, but I'm getting better kinda, last time I went out I didnt dump it at all and I only stalled it twice, unfortunately I haven't ridden with anyone else yet so I have no clue what I'm all doing wrong. :twofinger

·
Registered
56 Posts
it was a good ride ali....just remember to look through the corners, you're honestly doin better then i was when i first started.

·
Motorcycles are sexy!
826 Posts
sounds like you need to spend some time getting to know your "friction zone".

try this... without using throttle at all... slowly release the clutch until the bike begins to creep forward... just leave your feet on the ground, roll forward using the clutch's friction zone, and then push backward with your legs. It may sound dumb, but I think it might help you learn how not to stall it.

You should enroll in the MSF course. It will help with your confidence as well...

·
Registered
74 Posts
diamond said:
sounds like you need to spend some time getting to know your "friction zone".

try this... without using throttle at all... slowly release the clutch until the bike begins to creep forward... just leave your feet on the ground, roll forward using the clutch's friction zone, and then push backward with your legs. It may sound dumb, but I think it might help you learn how not to stall it.

You should enroll in the MSF course. It will help with your confidence as well...
I'll second the MSF course suggestion. Well worth the money spent. There's even advanced rider courses. I'm thinking of going back for one.

·
That's factory, yo!
3,666 Posts
Ali,

I've taught many-a-folks to drive stick on my old road-race Miata (with a really stiff clutch) - and this trick really helped people from stalling... The idea is to seperate throttle and clutch control into descrete, but related actions.

First - practice giving the bike steady throttle to maintain a constant RPM in Neutral. For example, practice holding 4000 RPM, then 5000 PRM, then 3000 RPM... etc.

Second - Give the motor a constant RPM - say 4000 on a Ninja 250 - and VERY slowly begin to let the clutch out. Let the clutch out at a STEADY rate that it will take 10 seconds to go through the full range of the clutch. When the clutch begins transmitting drive, the engine load will increase, and the revs will drop. Give the engine enough throttle to maintain the 4000 RPM goal.

...and you're away! This is actually a pretty tough excersise if you try to maintain exact RPM.

You'll slip the clutch quite a bit - but clutches are cheaper than bodywork - and on a 250 it's really not much of a concern.

As you get more comfortable doing this, you'll be able to let the clutch out faster and faster with better throttle control until you're a regular pro.

Let me know how this goes.

Cheers,

Todd

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I just read all the advice and I already knew some of it. I am improving greatly, since Thursday I didn't dump or even drop the bike once, and today I rode for about 2 hours with a fellow blndbmber and I didn't even stall it. She also helped me out with that friction thang. I am trying to get into the MSF courses but haven't heard anything back about if I get into the classes, let alone when.

·
Registered
832 Posts
if you find out when the MFS classes are going on and show up early the first day if there is a no show you can take their spot, as long as you show for the second day too. Some may show for the class and then chicken out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts