Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone going? My brother and I will be there bright and early. Red/Black 954 and Black/Red Flame R6.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As long as the forecast doesn't change, I will be there.

What group do you ride in?

Stop by and say hi. I am hard to miss, out on the track at least.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in intermediate. I havent' safety wired my bike yet so they won't bump me to A. My brother will be in B group for his first TD ever. Weather looks perfect too!

I'll make sure I come and say hi Jon!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Cool. Have you been to Main before? This will be my 6th time on Main.

They installed a bunch of tar snakes in turns 3, 4 and 5 this summer. However, if you are on the racing line, they don't cause to much trouble.

I have gone from hating, to loving, to hating this track. I think I am starting to like it again. Did 1:27 for a best time in June.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It'll be my first time on Main. I've done JC quite a few times but Main is always on a Monday so it's tough for me to do.

Tar snakes huh? That's interesting...

I might sneak up there Sunday night and take the mountain bike around the track once or twice to see the layout.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am sure you will have fun on Main. It is a fast track. Using my best times, I average 68 mph on JC and 86 mph on Main.

There are concrete patches in turns 1, 5 and 6. These are your friends; they are on the racing line and provide excellent grip. If you go wide in turn 6, you will end up on a huge section of tar, probably 3' X 15'. If if is hot and you end up there, keep the throttle steady and hope for the best.

The tar snakes leading to turn 3 look scary, but if you go deep they aren't an issue. There are tar snakes that you have to cross going into turn 4 (a fast turn), but shouldn't be an issue. Those leading to turn 5 are in the center of the track, at which point you should be on the right side for the left hand turn and aren't an issue unless you are hard on the brakes trying to pass someone.

Here is my shifting guide for an F4i with stock sprockets:

Turn 1 in 2nd. Still leaned over in turn 2 (a fast turn), up to 3rd.
Turn 3 in 3rd and then up to 4th.
Turn 4 in 4th and then down to 3rd.
Turn 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 in 3rd (you may feel 2nd may be more appropriate for turn 5, but you really don't need much torque until turn 6-7 by which point you are already back in the power band and if you do run turn 5 in 2nd, you will find you need to upshift in a corner)
After turn 9, I sometimes shift to 4th and back down to 3rd for turn 10.
Up to 4th-5th and sometimes 6th on the front straight and then hard braking into turn 1.

There really aren't any bumps that get my attention except the drop onto the concrete patch in turn 5. If you have a good suspension, you will hardly feel it.

Turns 3, 4, 9 and 10 are really fast. Lots of riders go down in turn 3 and you really don't want to crash in turn 4 with a concrete wall ahead.

Any off time, before the rider's meeting in the morning and after the last sessions in the afternoon, riders are welcome to either walk the track on check it out on non motorized vehicles.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JurassicBark said:
I am sure you will have fun on Main. It is a fast track. Using my best times, I average 68 mph on JC and 86 mph on Main.

Thanks for the track report! I'll use it when I take a few laps around the track on the pedal bike sunday night!

I hear the weather will be low in humidity too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts