Sport Bikes banner

summer prep

519 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  greekpimpslap 
#1 ·
what do you guys do to get your bike ready for the summer ? this is my first time havin a bike this time of year and want to make sure i bring it out of its slumber properly (even though i didnt put her to sleep the right way). i plan on changing the oil, oil filter, air filter, i'd like to replace the radiator fluid but not sure yet how to do it... im sure its easy. should i replace spark plugs ? brake fluid ? the bike has 7K miles on it and im sure these have never been touched. what kinda of oil and filter should i use ? i heard the honda air filter is better than the K&N. last year i was told to clean my chain with WD-40 which i think was a bad idea cuz ever since ive been leaking grease out of my front sprocket area... should i regrease that ? what kind of grease ? what else are you guys doing to bring the ride out of hibernation ?

sorry for the billion questions, ill have more :) baby steps

#2 ·
Never hurts to swap brake fluid and coolant, though those might be unnecessary. Spark plugs should definitely be changed out. You should be lubing your chain constantly. Either use good quality chain wax or chain lube.

#4 ·
Brake fluid and coolant should be flushed/changed every 2 years. It's more of a time thing than mileage. If the air filter hasn't been changed yet, it's about due. I'd stick with OEM rather than K&N or similar. If the plugs haven't ever been changed, at least check them.

Oil and filter are touchy subjects with lots of opinions. I use m/c specific oil (10W-40 per my manual) and OEM oil filters.

In addition to all that, it would be a good idea to check all the cables and torque of critical bolts.

The main thing, though, is to ride it. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.