Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to the local gear store, and was looking at all their equipment, figuring out sizes, etc. I asked the guy working there how hot it gets in leathers during summer and he said extremely hot. He said its really bad during the summer, and said if I was willing to suffer the heat, yes the leathers will give me better protection, but it will be very hot inside. He recommended me getting some kind of mesh w/ padding inside, and then when it cools off a little getting the leathers if that is the protection that I seek. I've never wore the leathers or anything at all before so I have no idea.

What do ya'll think about wearing mesh w/ pads during the summer then when it cools off then wearing the racing leathers?

·
Squidtastical
349 Posts
I have a firstgear meshtex jacket. Its the best mesh jacket on the market, but its a little skimpy on the armor. You can buy CE approved armor from firstgear and replace the eva foam pads that come with it for better protection. I have been riding in temple, just an hour north of you for several years and the jacket is only marginally warmer than a tshirt, plus it keeps your arms from getting burned.

Leather in central texas is out of the question, especially in stand still austin traffic! All you need is to pass out from a heat stroke on Mopac. First gear also sells pants made from the same material that will breath for you.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I wore full leather this morning until around 2. it was about 95 today and humid, and I was ok. key point: I was riding in the country at high speed and stopped to rest in the shade every so often. I never wear full leather in the city, too damn hot with multiple stoplights and traffic...that's where you want a quality mesh.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I wear a Fieldsheer Mach 4 mesh jacket here in Florida. plenty ventilation and CE armor. It has leather on the elbows, shoulders and back. Very comfortable even on the hottest days.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have several mesh jackets for city riding in this Texas heat. So far my Alpinestar gives me the most protection, and is actually cooloer then my other mesh jackets...possibly because the mesh is a bit wider spaced then some of the others. I also use the Alpinestars mesh pants...I love these things.

·
Registered
264 Posts
It was 101 here in Houston this weekend, and its not even June!

Been wearing Phoenix jackets for the last 4 years or so when It gets hot. You can be more selective on long hauls where ya dont have to stop, but if you get caught in 5 lanes of traffic and its stop/go for 5 miles and it takes ya 20-30 minutes to get down the road, you don't wanna wear anything at all. ITs all concrete, and exhaust is all around. It tough.

Mesh all the way, at least until December....

·
Registered
38 Posts
i wear mesh until it gets down below 75 degrees. one time i left for school at 6:30 am, and it was 57 degrees out, so i wore my leather jacket. by the time i went home (3pm), it was 85 degrees outside. i almost died at a stoplight. it was unbearable.

if its too hot to even wear mesh, its just simply too hot to ride.

i think mesh will provide decent protection in the event of a crash, but i would not reuse a mesh jacket if i went down in it.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
i have a spidi Net jacket for general riding/commuting

try www.cyclegear.com 1 store in austin, ask for steve.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I prefer leather, I'll deal w/being hot but I do most of my riding in the hill country and very little around town.

·
Yeah it's fast...
913 Posts
I wore my Alpinestars TZ-1 black jacket today here in phoenix. It really isnt bad unless you sit at a stoplight for awhile, even then I find it "livable", the worst part to me is when I get home and rush to get my gear off so I can grab my keys and enter the air conditioned goodness.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I like Full Perf'd Leather Jackets myself, for summer rideing. Since I sold my 2 pc suit I have to get another one. I have a Marshee Codura Nylon Jacket that I bought when I first got my bike, it has 6 huge vent pockets but still isn't as cool as Perf'd Leather.

Oh Well.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
which perforated leather do you have?

alpinestars?

was thinking of getting the stunt vented jacket...wondering how breathable the perforations make the jacket.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the Yamaha "Road Racer" leather jacket. The whole front of it is perforated and breathes really well. It also has zippers half way up the arm with mesh underneath so you can unzip them and air out. Very nice jacket, but Yamaha is sure proud of them (415 bucks)!

·
Registered
183 Posts
hot weather gear

I feel your pain. I live in Kansas and it gets hot and humid here as well. I just ordered these and they are guaranteed to be as cool as a pair of jeans and have like 5 times the strength of leather. http://www.motoport.com/detail.asp?...0&Merchant_Company=Pants Gear&Category=Kevlar They are expensive but they are guaranteed 7 years. They also rate very high in ratings at http://www.motorcyclegearreview.com I called and ordered them and they are custom made just for me which is good since I am so tall and skinny and can't find any normal pants to fit. I also ordered the Bodyguard jacket for the high temps. Hope this helps. Here is a guide of how strong this material is. http://www.motoport.com/saveyourhid...ax=760-752-9317&Merchant_Phone=1-800-777-6499

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
I like being able to wear leather also.....so I have a ICON Pursuit fully perf leather jacket that lets about the same amount of air through as my Fieldsheer Mach 3 mesh.....with much better protection....and I know where you can get one online for $250

1 - 15 of 15 Posts