Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
very brief about my riding history.

Got my motorcyles license when i was 14. Took a riders course. Rode a 250CC yamaha (couldnt ride anything b***** than 250 while i was under 16). Turned 16 and got a 700CC kawi rode that for couple years then started getting into more college and life stuff and sold the bike:(. Started getting the itch to ride again and might be getting a sport bike. I am now 20 years old. So i got a good 3-5 years of exp under my belt + dirt bikes and ATV's (i know that doesnt mean much in the sport bike section but im basicly saying ive been around this stuff all my life). So does anyone have any suggestions for bikes? Are these things as uncomfortable as everyone says? ( i am guessing this is a stupid question in a sport bikers forum ;)) 700CC's had some get up and go but i have no idea how much more of a difference there is in a 700CC cruiser and a say a 600CC sport bike. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I am more or less bsing my self into to get another bike but hey what can i say :D.

P.S. I am not a crazy rider. In the years i rode my other bikes, i never had an accident and 0 speed tickets either :D.

·
part of the problem
487 Posts
Suzuki Sv650's are good bikes. They come in bikini and nekkid models. Lower fairings are available if you desire a full-fairing look. They're v-twins and have more than adequate power for the street (plus they make excellent track bikes.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please do not flame me :(. I am just curious :D. I do know next to nothing about sport bikes as for there power accel and all that good stuff. I do know that they will get up and go but you have to remember im coming from a 700CC 1983 kawi :p.

Would the honda 600RR or F4i be to much of a bike? What are the differences in the 2 bikes?

Also what is the point of getting a 1300CC busa or 1000RR if these 600CC bikes have no problems doing the same thing other than holding your balls and saying look what i got? Also other than for cosmetic looks why do some bikes have no plastic over the motor and some do such as the 600RR?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Don't be so worried about getting flamed. Its all about personal preference. See if you can find some friends with bikes who will let you ride them. go to dealerships and sit on some different bikes. did i say take the motorcycle safety course? enjoy riding.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I'd say try to find a used CBR600F2 or F3. They are plenty fast, yet still forgiving. That was my first bike and I still ride it (2.5 years later). I STILL love the power it has, the way it handles, and like I said before, how forgiving it is. Just my opinion. It's a great all around bike. I've done 6-700 mile days on it before. It hurt my ass a little, but it wasn't nearly as bad as one might think.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
When you mean forgiving what do you mean? Why would any bike be forgiving? :p.

I am a type of person that is to scared to ride another persons bike. I know it might sound strange but shit happens and i dont want to be the one when it does :-/. Maybe i need to get over this but what can i say :-/.

I took that saftey course when i was 14 it was required.

Also how hard are these bikes on your ass? People keep saying "oh get a big bike like a shadow or something they are so much better but for some reason i cannot see my self riding one :-/" I didnt really care for the 700CC bike i had but i liked to ride so i dealt with it.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
kur1j said:
When you mean forgiving what do you mean? Why would any bike be forgiving? :p.

I am a type of person that is to scared to ride another persons bike. I know it might sound strange but shit happens and i dont want to be the one when it does :-/. Maybe i need to get over this but what can i say :-/.

I took that saftey course when i was 14 it was required.

Also how hard are these bikes on your ass? People keep saying "oh get a big bike like a shadow or something they are so much better but for some reason i cannot see my self riding one :-/" I didnt really care for the 700CC bike i had but i liked to ride so i dealt with it.

I think whathe means by "forgiving" is that the throttle if chopped dosent have a tendancy to rip the bike right out from underneath you. Also, an older modle 600 isn't bnad to start off on in the sportbike world. You have been on sruisers, so you have experiance riding a bike.

Don't feel strange about riding someone elses bike, I feel the same way. If I drop her, I'd feel like crud.

Your ass will get used to riding a sportbike. Not all saddles are the same and not all bikes feel the same. Your best bet is to go the show room, and sit on ALOT of dirrent bikes. Then you can get the feel for what you like. Also, long riding on a sportbike or any bike can make your ass sore. Another missconception is that, you HAVE to lean on a sportbike. That's BS. On my 96' F3, I dont have to lay on the tank uless I chose to. I sit straight up and have no porblem reaching the grips. The Erion 929RR tho, is different. I'm a small girl and since the saddle is wide, and the tank set-up is different then the 96 F3, then I have to put a little more lean into the tank. <<~~short arms.

oh and why do ppl by the Busa, most want to just show off... That's about it! The CBR 1000RR is a bit different then the Busa.. look on some of these links, they might help...

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/models/2/mcy/5/yamaha_super_sport.aspx

http://www.kawasaki.com/motorcycles/

http://powersports.honda.com/motorcycles/sport/

just an idea of what NEW is and does... I would of added the Suzuki site, but something is wrong with it...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dub dub dub... a...a...a... girl that rides sport bikes? WTF
WOW Marry me? :D.

suzuki site is fine for me :).

I love the look of the 2 honda bikes i listed plus the R1 and R6 bikes from yamaha. I like covered bikes for some reason :-/. A little nekid is ok but i like everything contained :D.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
i'd recommend an SVS

you'd better check w/ your ins. agent before you buy anything. it might suprise you

·
Registered
681 Posts
Yes, check your insurance prices LONG before you buy any bike....that might decide for you!

BTW, a first year(late 80's) 600 SS will surpise you comming off that 83 Kawy cruiser......I'd give a vote to the SV as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone got any round about prices for ins? I dont even remember how much the ins was on the kawi when i rode... :(.

·
Resident Freak
1,637 Posts
I've been riding since I was 14; currently have a Jeep and four motorcycles insured with American Family, no accidents and no speeding tickets and I'm paying about 1200/year on my Ducati 916 for full coverage in the Kansas City area -

Oh, yeah - the Norton is very fast, handles well and costs about 100/year...

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
too many variables for ins. you'd do bst by calling your agent....

·
Registered
681 Posts
Drifter said:
I've been riding since I was 14; currently have a Jeep and four motorcycles insured with American Family, no accidents and no speeding tickets and I'm paying about 1200/year on my Ducati 916 for full coverage in the Kansas City area -

Oh, yeah - the Norton is very fast, handles well and costs about 100/year...
I have AF for most of my insurance needs, until I bought the Mille.....State Farm trumped AF on price....302 vs. 1200 per year, give them a call.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
taziscool said:
I have AF for most of my insurance needs, until I bought the Mille.....State Farm trumped AF on price....302 vs. 1200 per year, give them a call.
That is who i have currently is State Farm. I am paying 60 something bux a month for full coverage on a '93 toyota 4x4 pickup truck.

·
Registered
912 Posts
get an F4i.......

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I have a couple questions :).

What is the difference in the 919 and the F4i? Why would a smaller bike cost less than a b***** bike? Is the F4i a faster bike or something?

Same instance on the suzuki SV1000S its 8599 and the GSX-R600 is 8100 bux, GSX-R750 is 9599. Why would the bike almost or cost less than a smaller bike? Please explain. All my friends are saying that the 600CC bike would have no get up and go like the 1000S etc etc (they dont know wtf they are talking about i dont guess bc the way yall explain these 600CC bikes will flop out from under you)... i just want a good looking bike and a fun bike to ride. For some reason the 1000S or 919 just look funny to me :(. I am not trying to offend anyone here ... each to his own is what i say. The 1000S does look a little better than the 919 but the F4i even looks cooler :D. Also is there any place i can find the specs on what each bike will do as for speed torque 0-60? Mainly i just wanna show my friends that a F4i or a 600RR are not laggy bikes :-/. Maybe i am wrong but from what i have read both bikes will keep up the pace any day.

I know this might sound stupid but i just read this http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=326&highlight=fastchoke and it kinda scared me about get one of these 600CC bikes like the F4i :-/. With my old 700CC kawi i didnt have to worry about pot holes or cranking the throttle (i am not twitchy). I did feel very comfy on that kawi on mine but i think im just playing tricks on my self and worrying to much (i do that alot) :-/. I also might be over respecting these things to a point, meaning 1/4 throttle and flipping it over on me :(. I guess i will just have to get on one of my friends and ride it down my road (no traffic i live out in the boonies). I think i am just worrying to much :-/ i dont know... what do yall think :-/.

·
part of the problem
487 Posts
The SV and 919s are less popular models then the race reps. A modern 600 supersport is basically a track bike with blinkers and a license plate holder. These bikes are more popular and command a premium.

The SV and 919 will make more power in the lower rev range. A 600 won’t make “good” power until 7-8k RPMs with a surge coming on around 10k or so and then peaking around 13.5k or so (it varies depending on the bike.)

Since you’ve ridden before, you would most likely be fine with a an f4i or the like, just don’t rev it to the moon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts