Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last 2 weeks of July I'm taking the FZ6 from Seattle to Cheyenne. Total miles with sidetracks will probably be about 3,500. I'll be going straight through Washington, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming pretty quickly to get there in either 2 or 3 days. Total distance to start of 1,400+ miles. That puts me at 2 real long days or 3 pretty long days of continuos riding. Then coming home I'll be making lots of stops with no days of more that 500 miles.

Last year I did a 10 day tour of WA, ID and western MT of about 1,500 miles total so I know pretty much what I'm in for.

I'm looking for comfort/safety suggestions. I have a strap-on Butt Buffer, which seemed comfortable enough last year so I think my ass will be OK there. I think 1,400 miles in 2 or 3 days is going to require some kind of throttle control for arm and wrist comfort. I want something simple and cheap but works. I'll probably only have the thing on for the trip then maybe take it off.

For storage of rain gear, clothes, fishing rod, and a few tools etc I have Nelson Riggs soft saddlebags which hold quite a bit. Last year I bungeed on a duffle bag to the back seat so I should have plenty of total storage.

Last but not least I know I'll need ear protection. I have tried the cheap foam moldable ear plugs and they seem to work OK but were not entirely comfortable but I know I need something.

Am I forgetting anything?

Bill

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
BillfromBothell said:
I think 1,400 miles in 2 or 3 days is going to require some kind of throttle control for arm and wrist comfort. I want something simple and cheap but works. I'll probably only have the thing on for the trip then maybe take it off.
Bill

Try a "rubber O-Ring" between the right switch housing and the grip. This will hold the throttle open to give your right hand a rest.

·
Face is a Maserati!!!
1,161 Posts
segue00 said:
Try a "rubber O-Ring" between the right switch housing and the grip. This will hold the throttle open to give your right hand a rest.
I'm looking at a long ride too this summer with the Cabot Trail from Montreal (+/- 2,500 miles)

I am curious about any idea that will be posted here...

But mostly, the rubber O-Ring would be obtained from what kind of store? Is it open to allow for installation? Leave on and then switch over while driving? I'm thinking pool type ring as in the kind found on the motor...

Thx

·
Registered
96 Posts
There is a gizmo called a "Throttle Rocker" that clips onto your throttle grip and allows you to keep it open using your palm. You can basically rest your hand on it. Not exactly cruise control but it is cheap, easy, and safe.

Available at the parts counter at many MC dealerships.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'll throw in my vote for the throttle rocker. It ain't perfect but once you get used to it, it'll really help, especially on long highway stretches.

Another thing I did on my trip was wear cycling shorts as underwear. Unlike pants, they distribute your weight more evenly so you don't get pressure points on your butt. It does make you look like you're wearing 'depends' but there's a price to paid for comfort. :lol

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
dparadis said:
I'm looking at a long ride too this summer with the Cabot Trail from Montreal (+/- 2,500 miles)

I am curious about any idea that will be posted here...

But mostly, the rubber O-Ring would be obtained from what kind of store? Is it open to allow for installation? Leave on and then switch over while driving? I'm thinking pool type ring as in the kind found on the motor...

Thx
Enjoy the Cabot Trail. I rode it a couple years ago and had a great time. Be sure to give yourself a few days to explore, watch for moose and enjoy the food. The all you can eat mussels at the Baddeck Lobster Supper were amazing.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
CorvetteBoy said:
There is a gizmo called a "Throttle Rocker" that clips onto your throttle grip and allows you to keep it open using your palm. You can basically rest your hand on it. Not exactly cruise control but it is cheap, easy, and safe.

Available at the parts counter at many MC dealerships.
The Cramp Buster is narrower and may be the better choice. I have a Throttle Rocker and I find it is pretty wide for our grips. You really can't get your hand inside it when you're just riding through town.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Er - buy a BMW? :lao

1 - 11 of 11 Posts