Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After kissing pavement on my moped a month ago, I'm in the market for a new, inexpensive ride to get me mostly around town with the occasional out-of-town excursion. Budget is around $3k, and I was kicking around the idea of a supermoto because I've heard they're fun and reliable. I'm also looking for something to get a decent mileage around town..

Suggestions? I've been told a DRZ400S is a fun bike, but there aren't many of that specific bike around this area..

Cliffs:

Looking for bike for around town mostly.
Must be reliable and get good mileage.
Sportiness not necessary, a plus.
Cheap(ish)

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I think I may have posted this somewhere else you need to make a decision if you want a race bred one with all the maintenance implications with it. Or you want a regular street rider.

DR400 falls into the latter category
XT660X (NFI if available there)
Pegaso 650 strada
BMW GS650X?
hmm thats about all I can think of right now there are more.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Proper supermoto = KTM , Husaberg, CCM. Etc
The best unsupermoto is the Honda fmx 650 ,but you must fit a full arrow exhaust system and a flat slide carb that's the way to make it better.. Much better than standard.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I may have posted this somewhere else you need to make a decision if you want a race bred one with all the maintenance implications with it. Or you want a regular street rider.

DR400 falls into the latter category
XT660X (NFI if available there)
Pegaso 650 strada
BMW GS650X?
hmm thats about all I can think of right now there are more.

Definitely not. This will not be a track machine, but something I use to get to and from class, and occasionally out of town with. I know jack shit about carbs, so less maintenance is better.

You, sir, looked much harder than I did. Solid find. How's the price sound? He didn't really list the mods on the thing, but the price doesn't sound too far out of the ballpark.. I'm new to Sumos though.

Proper supermoto = KTM , Husaberg, CCM. Etc
The best unsupermoto is the Honda fmx 650 ,but you must fit a full arrow exhaust system and a flat slide carb that's the way to make it better.. Much better than standard.
I'm a grad student on a budget.. No expense to spare for trick parts at the moment. :(

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I see a lot more around my area, but that still seems like a good deal even if the owner seems to think they're "rare". From what I've heard they're bulletproof so 11k miles is nothing if he's maintained it.

I don't know much about them either in regards to the upgrades. But yellow is the fastest color besides black! I'd at least check it out, if it looks spotless offer him 3k

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
When you say get out of town, do you mean highways? If so, highways are bad for all supermotos. If you mean ride it in the woods, that's a good thing.

The DRZ is the easiest to live with. I'd try to find one with an FCR carb and exhaust at the very least. They're heavy and slow. You can't do much to change the heavy, but the carb and exhaust will get you some MUCH needed power.

A proper supermoto is NOT reliable. When I used to race at Loudon, I remember talking to a guy who had two supermoto's with him. I asked why he didn't practice, he said he didn't want to put that many hours on the cranks. My Husky 510 was fun, but I wrenched on it as much as I rode it.

My DRZ was actually reliable. Did I mention how much fun it was in the dirt? And yes, I plan to post this picture in every DRZ thread:

I heard the WR250 sumo is very DRZ-like, just lighter and a little slower.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Learning new things every day.. Thanks for all the input fellas!

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Yep, your best bet is the DRZ400, but don't plan on doing lots of highway on it. Highway is not for thumpers, it's barely bearable on my XT660R/X's, and they are WAY more civilized than a true SUMO.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A 650 single? Sweet jesus, low-end for daaaays.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
For a split of the best of both worlds its one of these you want ..

650 Suzuki engine ,tuned up to give good power in a chassis as skinny as a crackwhore .They also do a version with the Drz 400 engine with an added 10 or so BHP and half the weight of a Drz .... A proper supermoto with reasonable reliability and available at a reasonable cost ... But its yet another bike that aint available in the US .

·
Registered
855 Posts
R6 track bike and DRZ400 supermoto for a street bike? Sounds perfect! :D

I currently have a bit of a love/hate relationship with my DRZ. It is so much fun when you are moving but loves to stall when slowing for a stop. Luckily my husband just figured out the problem and is in the process of (hopefully) fixing the problem once and for all.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
R6 track bike and DRZ400 supermoto for a street bike? Sounds perfect! :D

I currently have a bit of a love/hate relationship with my DRZ. It is so much fun when you are moving but loves to stall when slowing for a stop. Luckily my husband just figured out the problem and is in the process of (hopefully) fixing the problem once and for all.
The track bike has been parted out and is mostly sold, except for some odds and ends... :sulk

1 - 20 of 41 Posts