Sport Bikes banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I prefer riding the mountains of Maryland and Northern Virginia. Wonderful twisties largely devoid of cops, with the exception of Camp David of course.
There are no mountains in NOVA unless you consider Bull Run Mtn in northern PWC but no twisties. But I know what you're talking about. Shortly after leaving NOVA you're into some nice riding areas.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
There are no mountains in NOVA unless you consider Bull Run Mtn in northern PWC but no twisties. But I know what you're talking about. Shortly after leaving NOVA you're into some nice riding areas.
Only twisty road I know of is Joplin Rd near Dumfries. No mountain roads I know of in all of NOVA. Maybe he meant the geographically northern part of Virginia, not NOVA per se.

Reactions: jk750

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
Cagers were bad when I lived in DC all those years ago. Pushy, arrogant, not looking a bit at where they were going. I can only imagine how bad it is now with all the women yakking on their fucking cell phones and everyone looking at their goddam screens. Its like demolition derby in my little midwestern one-horse town, I get the willies thinking about an East Coast place like DC.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Cagers were bad when I lived in DC all those years ago. Pushy, arrogant, not looking a bit at where they were going. I can only imagine how bad it is now with all the women yakking on their fucking cell phones and everyone looking at their goddam screens. Its like demolition derby in my little midwestern one-horse town, I get the willies thinking about an East Coast place like DC.
You nailed it. That's why you have to ride with a me first attitude in the city here. Politeness takes a back seat. Guys like Lowcel don't get it because he's used to riding in his little town in WV. It's not that people are bad here, they're just busy and don't care two shits about you. It's a very impersonal, transient place. If you want to get through it riding, you have to take on the same attitude.

We're allowed to filter here, and most of the time when I'm going it, when I'm looking in their window, they're in there texting or something. I figure they're less of a threat to me when they stuck at a light not at all paying attention than they are texting and piloting a 4000lb cage. I don't feel bad in the least about it. And I've never had anyone get mad at me for doing it. Most of the time they don't even realize I am doing it because they're so engrossed in their stupid phones.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Only twisty road I know of is Joplin Rd near Dumfries. No mountain roads I know of in all of NOVA. Maybe he meant the geographically northern part of Virginia, not NOVA per se.

A few riders have died on Joplin Rd. I'm sure he meant the actual northern portion of the state (west also) but wanted to bust his chops.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
A few riders have died on Joplin Rd. I'm sure he meant the actual northern portion of the state (west also) but wanted to bust his chops.
I know. Every year somebody dies there. It's a dangerous road. I spent one summer riding it a good bit, and on more than one occasion came over one of those rises and had a cage two feet over the line into my lane. I always hug the right on that road when I can't see what's over the hill. I really don't ride it much anymore.

There's just too much traffic using it as a cut-through to Manassas. For the low quality of the turns on the road, the risk is just too great. I go down there every once in a while, but it's just too risky of a road to ride with too much regularity.

Here's a ride on it from a couple of years ago:

Reactions: jk750

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
We're allowed to filter here...
When I lived there it was illegal, and I suspect it still is. Never stopped me, the cops were stuck in that mess and couldn't come after me if they wanted. Pissed the cagers off something fierce though.

I'm done recommending bikes for young people. Too fucking dangerous. I picked up a sport bike for fun. Now I ride it for survival. Don't split anymore though, this place hasn't enough traffic to mandate it.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
When I lived there it was illegal, and I suspect it still is. Never stopped me, the cops were stuck in that mess and couldn't come after me if they wanted. Pissed the cagers off something fierce though.

I'm done recommending bikes for young people. Too fucking dangerous. I picked up a sport bike for fun. Now I ride it for survival. Don't split anymore though, this place hasn't enough traffic to mandate it.
Technically, it's not legal or illegal. DC has no law governing lane splitting:

Lane splitting and lane sharing – in which motorcycles share lanes with other vehicles or drive in between lanes – are not mentioned in the District’s motorcycle laws.
http://www.lewisandtompkins.com/lib...ngton-dc-district-of-columbia-helmet-laws.cfm

I suppose if a cop really wanted to make an issue of it, they could cite you with something else, like reckless. I've never heard of that happening. The closest thing I have gotten stopped for was riding on the wrong side of some construction cones so I could get around the parking lot of cars and make a right turn. The cop stopped me and asked why I couldn't wait like everyone else LOL. He gave me a ticket but he never turned it in. LOL.

I did it this morning right in front of an MPD and filtered in front of him as the traffic had started moving. Didn't do a damn thing.

I haven't had the cagers get mad at me. Maybe something's changed since you rode here. Downtown the cagers are all trying to squeeze in where they can too. Lane markings here are merely a suggestion. Everybody goes where they can fit, and laws of physics dictate that a bike can fit more places than a cage.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
How many [boring, stupid] riding videos of yourself do you feel the need to post on this forum? Are you that starved for attention? Do you expect anyone to sit through multiple 4-minute videos of you putting around towns and/or parking it into corners?

I'm not even sure why this thread exists, except to bump your post count and the size of your e-peen.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
How many [boring, stupid] riding videos of yourself do you feel the need to post on this forum? Are you that starved for attention? Do you expect anyone to sit through multiple 4-minute videos of you putting around towns and/or parking it into corners?

I'm not even sure why this thread exists, except to bump your post count and the size of your e-peen.
Then don't watch it then.

When are you going to post your track videos?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
I didn't.

Ask and you shall receive.

Pickpocket293 at Heartland Park 6.16.12 - YouTube

..and a rain day where I dominated bitches right up until I highsided:

Pickpocket293 highsides in the rain at Blackhawk Farms 9/1/12 - YouTube
I don't see anything particularly ground breaking. Looks like an ordinary track day to me. Anybody can go fast in an environment with no defects.

I've topped my bike out at Pocono raceway. The back part of the track has a nice straightway. The rest of the track has a combination of sweepers as well as some tighter turn.

High speeds through big sweepers are fun, but I still like tight twisty roads like the Dragon more, even though you can't possibly go as fast.

I also like regular street riding not because of high speeds, but because it's something that I can do everyday, not just something I trailer my bike to. But I understand that not everyone has the patience or maturity to handle it, especially in a big city. So for those, the track is a good environment.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I don't see anything particularly ground breaking. Looks like an ordinary track day to me. Anybody can go fast in an environment with no defects.

I've topped my bike out at Pocono raceway. The back part of the track has a nice straightway. The rest of the track has a combination of sweepers as well as some tighter turn.

High speeds through big sweepers are fun, but I still like tight twisty roads like the Dragon more, even though you can't possibly go as fast.

I also like regular street riding not because of high speeds, but because it's something that I can do everyday, not just something I trailer my bike to. But I understand that not everyone has the patience or maturity to handle it, especially in a big city. So for those, the track is a good environment.
:dafuk

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I think Mr. DCNinja has thoroughly expressed his stupidity enough for one day, do you folks?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I think Mr. DCNinja has thoroughly expressed his stupidity enough for one day, do you folks?
Crickets chirping.

Don't you have a research paper or some school assignment to get done? Wouldn't want you to get punished by mom and dad.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts