Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the Federal Government Shutdown of 2013, it's had a terrible impact around here. All the roads are empty of tourists, government workers (except me) and I just don't know what to do. I guess I will get my ZX10R out and go ride around the city and enjoy the empty roads. I made sure to blow through every speed camera possible, cross every double yellow line possible, blow past every Harley possible, just to potentially piss off lowcel. Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I can't believe I watched that. It looked like my commute to work... This is why I don't own a GoPro, like you, I dont think I really have anything worthy of recording.

And you got beat off the line by an Altima...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
With the Federal Government Shutdown of 2013, it's had a terrible impact around here. All the roads are empty of tourists, government workers (except me) and I just don't know what to do. I guess I will get my ZX10R out and go ride around the city and enjoy the empty roads. I made sure to blow through every speed camera possible, cross every double yellow line possible, blow past every Harley possible, just to potentially piss off lowcel. Enjoy!

Federal Government Shutdown - YouTube
I'm embarrasses to know I live so close to you. I've never seen someone be so proud of being a squid.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm embarrasses to know I live so close to you. I've never seen someone be so proud of being a squid.
So close yet so far away. Please stay in NOVA. We have enough of the bridge and tunnel crowd here as it is. And make sure to follow the speed limits out riding today. The Virginia State Police are watching, always.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I can't believe I watched that. It looked like my commute to work... This is why I don't own a GoPro, like you, I dont think I really have anything worthy of recording.

And you got beat off the line by an Altima...

I wish my commute looked like that. Must be nice living where you do. Normally around here that would be a parking lot of cages.

I can post a video of my commute if you really want me to. That would really get the traffic police on here riled up. :D

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
lmao, you can speed up the video as fast as you want but the slow traffic (altima, hhr, etc) that are driving in front of you gives away the fact you are going super slow. Funny as hell, nice try. you may as well be riding a harley, I feel sorry for your bike.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
did Nid move to DC or what?

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
So close yet so far away. Please stay in NOVA. We have enough of the bridge and tunnel crowd here as it is. And make sure to follow the speed limits out riding today. The Virginia State Police are watching, always.
Says the guy crossing the Key Bridge from Arlington, VA (NOVA) into DC...

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Don't know how you survive the mean streets of DC, dude. Noticed you picked it up a little passing through the Kennedy Center projects. Smart move. Bypassed Georgetown, but you really took your chances that close to GWU. Could've slipped on a latte lid.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
I was going to say I ride harder going to work, but someone beat me to it. Of course, whether the Federal government was in session or not the local DC cops were all out in force performing their revenue generation, er, law enforcement duties. Probably wise of the OP to keep it dialed down, even if the video is boring.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't know how you survive the mean streets of DC, dude. Noticed you picked it up a little passing through the Kennedy Center projects. Smart move. Bypassed Georgetown, but you really took your chances that close to GWU. Could've slipped on a latte lid.
Ha ha. I like riding through the bridges and tunnels through there especially when they're empty. Bike sounds cooooool.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
I prefer riding the mountains of Maryland and Northern Virginia. Wonderful twisties largely devoid of cops, with the exception of Camp David of course.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I was going to say I ride harder going to work, but someone beat me to it. Of course, whether the Federal government was in session or not the local DC cops were all out in force performing their revenue generation, er, law enforcement duties. Probably wise of the OP to keep it dialed down, even if the video is boring.
It wasn't even a serious video. It was just me fucking around.

Ever since we got all the traffic cameras, MPD (local DC cops) don't hardly even give out tickets anymore. If you have any kind of after market fender eliminator kit that locates the plate under the tail, the cameras can't see it because they're all mounted higher than your undertail on poles. During the daytime, it's not safe to be speeding anyways. But sometimes it is fun to go out at night when the streets are empty and set them off.

The cops you have to watch out for are the Park Police, they patrol the national mall (the area around all the monuments), and the Secret Service Uniformed Division, which patrols the area around the White House and Capitol.

So yeah, I work next door to the White House so when I ride to work and get close to the touristy areas, I do have to ride a little more conservatively.

I live in NE DC, a mostly locals-only residential area that has been transitioning in recent years from lower income to middle income. My neighborhood is Brookland and is pretty nice, but I do have to traverse some of DC's worst ghettos like Edgewood Terrace, Brentwood, Ivy City, etc. to get home. Never had any issues though. All the ghetto kids that stand on the corners always wave and motion for me to do wheelies. Ha ha. Most issues I've had in traffic have been from cab drivers, lost tourists, and aggressive MD commuters. Except for the one time some crazy ghetto guy intentionally tried to run me over and we got into it.

When I go home east on Rhode Island Avenue, once I get east of Logan Circle or so, then I can have a little more fun ;)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I prefer riding the mountains of Maryland and Northern Virginia. Wonderful twisties largely devoid of cops, with the exception of Camp David of course.
If I could, I would ride twisties everyday. Unfortunately, my job is in the District and I prefer a short commute, so I live in the city.

I do like to get out on the weekends to the mountains though. I made a video yesterday riding 211 with some friends:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lmao, you can speed up the video as fast as you want but the slow traffic (altima, hhr, etc) that are driving in front of you gives away the fact you are going super slow. Funny as hell, nice try. you may as well be riding a harley, I feel sorry for your bike.
Ha ha. I love track days and riding in the mountains, however daily riding for me is in the city. Is a ZX10 overkill for the city? Absolutely. But I love it when I get out on the open road. ;)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I forgot, we do have one nice road in DC, Rock Creek Parkway.

In fact, the back roads within Rock Creek Park are pretty nice too, like Beach Dr. On the weekend, Beach Drive gets clogged up with the spandex peddle biker crowd though. The road that runs up from Beach Drive to Carter Barron Amphitheater is nice, also Ross Dr.

We mostly ride those roads just in the winter if there's no snow, when you have that little one or two hour window where the temp reaches the high for the day. It's too cold to get on the highway and there's not enough time to go anywhere anyways. We'll be out there riding in circles in the park, all bundled up in heated gear for a one or two hour ride. Fun times.

Here's a video I made a couple of years ago on Rock Creek Parkway:

Reactions: jk750
1 - 20 of 47 Posts