Sport Bikes banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Two-stroke addict
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all you active duty folks, first, thanks for your service.
Thankfully for me my only "wartime" service was in the so-called "Cold War."

I'm a veteran ('76-'79) of 73rd MI Co., Stuttgart Army Airfield and 2nd MI Battalion, Pirmasens, of which 73rd is one of the companies. I was wondering if there are any current military on this site serving at either one of those posts, if they're still active, and if you have any pics. Even after nearly 30 years I miss the great roads in Germany & plan to try & make it back there soon with a Cafe Racer I built (avatar) envisioned while on backroads over there in '78.

The only road name I remember near Pirmasens is Rodalbestrasse, just on the backside of the Kaserne, a great little twisty road I used to scrape the pegs on my RD on going to the town of Rodalben. There were some nice twisty and sweeper roads between Stuttgart AAF & "stadtmitte" Stuttgart I remember being really fun.

Anyone able to help me with a dose of nostalgia relief?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I find myself on Perm every once in awhile, not much is left under Army control these days. 90% of the warehouse space and most of the housing was turned over to the Germans a few years back, although I have not seen Perm on the chopping block for closure. Its difficult to even get on Permasens these days as most of what is left is sensitive in nature and you need to be on the "guest list" to even enter the gate. Next time I am in town restocking my fridge with Perminators I will see if I can get you some pics....The weather and roads are freaking PERFECT right now. I know of a few spots you might remember.

:cheers

·
Two-stroke addict
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a bunch, Rekab!
I used to ride into K-town to see 1FC Kaiserslautern play in the Bundesliga.

I remember hearing about all the huge warehouses cut into the hills. I never had the occasion to go into 'em (need to know, etc.) They were supposed to contain portable missle launchers is what I heard.

The weirdest place I stayed at, though was a mothballed hospital a few miles from the Kaserne. There were a few people quartered inside, but the rest of it was empty. It was pretty spooky, felt like a scene out of a teen slasher movie.

I'd love to see some pictures, if you get the chance. I have great roads to ride on here, but the precision of German-engineered roads was something to behold.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Well, Not sure the last time you where here but the roads have gone to shit for the most part. Most of the autobahns are nearly shut down from all of the construction going on but I guess at least they are trying to repair the roads. The first time I was here in the army (95-99) they where nice! But you cant beat the country side! the roads may be narrow but the countless hours of twisties never get old.

Did you ever discover this?

http://home.bawue.de/~matthead/solitude/solitude.html

It is about a mile or two from Patch barracks. I am all excited because I found out about it and I drive the route almost daily on my home from work :lol:

But I do Network Security as a civilian in Stuttgart, I am at the SAAF very often. I am sure alot has changed since you where here, hell just in the last 3 years things have changed so much it is crazy.

·
Two-stroke addict
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, that sounds like a great little loop to ride. I never heard of it. I can't even begin to imagine how different everything must be after nearly 30 years. I'd REALLY like to go there for a long vacation next year for my 50th BD, but I probably can't afford to do so until I retire, which won't be for 6 more years. I wonder if they'll let me bring over any of my vintage bikes to ride there; the bike in my avatar is one I envisioned building when I rode a stock RD350 in the foothills around Pirmasens after I was transferred from Stuttgart AAF.

I'd love to see some updated pictures of Stuttgart and any of the outlying areas if you ever have the chance to take and post any.

Thanks for the memories, even if I didn't get to ride on that stretch!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Bah! Was planning on heading over to Perm this past weekend with the camera and the weather was crap the entire time. If I don't get out this weekend then we have a nice long weekend for Memorial Day that hopefully the weather will hold out for.
:cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts