Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
My flock keeps growing
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, mine is dead...tried opening it up and looking for issues that cause the ol' red ring of death. Not a burned out component anywhere...so I tried re-doing all the heat sinks with some good silver heat transfer compound but no luck. Looks like I will have to buy a new one...damn it!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Have you tried MS support? They might be lenient considering how prevalent this issue is... I've had good luck with them in the past when I've had Xbox Live issues, even got a few months credit.

·
My flock keeps growing
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
being that I bought it off of ebay used, and that I also opened it up and did some messing around....I am sure they won't be helping. But I am ok with that. Plus now I can get one with an HDMI port.

·
Registered
556 Posts
it doesn't matter where the xbox came from or who owns it, MS support will take care of it if it has the red ring of death. Its an issue with the mobo itself, that is not fixable. It has to be replaced

I was the middle man for my brother when it happened to his. I made the support request to microsoft providing the serial number of the xbox, they sent me a box, I sent them the xbox in their box, I got a new motherboard

·
The Bike Whisperer
599 Posts
Second the above...... MS has been really good about that issue. Also, for the next one, I think they make an external cooling fan to help with the heat issue.

·
My flock keeps growing
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Second the above...... MS has been really good about that issue. Also, for the next one, I think they make an external cooling fan to help with the heat issue.
They made some internal changes on the new ones to help with heat dissipation. I have also heard rumors of different chip sets made on smaller dies (creates less heat) being one of the fixes for the heat issues.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yeah different chip, but in response to microsoft fixing the red ring. They will probably get it after you tell them what happened and noticed the seal is broken because you opened it and won't fix it. So if you want, you can call them up and let them know you opened it. I am pretty sure they will say no to fixing it for you even if it had the red ring of death. Might as well go out and buy one. But I guess call first just in case.

·
My flock keeps growing
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am going to send it in...it doesn't cost anything...MS picks up the tab for shipping. If they say it will cost $$ to fix, I will tell them to keep it. I already ordered my new one yesterday, should have it Wed. Got it through Buy.com...they had $30 off if you applied for their Master Card. Then $5.75 for 2 day shipping! And better still...no tax! It will be nice to have HDMI on it. Now I will have 4 controllers too. Can't forget Lego Indie and kung fu Panda.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A good suggestion. Buy a ps3 instead. But thats just my preference. Minor perks like hdmi output standard, not having to pay monthly to play online like with xbox live, and a smaller controller just to name a few. I feel like theres way more uses than just game playing with the ps3 that you dont have to pay for unlike xbox. Graphics are better as well. My two cents.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Well, let me chime in since someone started the xbox360 vs ps3 topic :)

XBL is a pay service, but it's a generation ahead of PSN. Achievements, Gamerscore, Netflix, Friends, Party, etc. The free built in connection to Windows Media Player on your XP/Vista (or other OSes with software) PC is nice too, you can stream videos and music.

The Xbox360 generally wins for graphics and load times for third-party games as well. And they both output the same resolutions...

·
Already Sick of Winter
3,273 Posts
Well, let me chime in since someone started the xbox360 vs ps3 topic :)

XBL is a pay service, but it's a generation ahead of PSN. Achievements, Gamerscore, Netflix, Friends, Party, etc. The free built in connection to Windows Media Player on your XP/Vista (or other OSes with software) PC is nice too, you can stream videos and music.

The Xbox360 generally wins for graphics and load times for third-party games as well. And they both output the same resolutions...
i wasn't a big fan of the original Xbox but i'm lovin our 360. all of what he said above plus its $200 cheaper with more games.

its all a moot point however. Joe owns a PS3 as well.

·
My flock keeps growing
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Xbox 360 vs. PS3....Having both (and a Wii too) I can say that the Xbox gets a lot more play in my house. There just are not as many titles on a PS3 that I want to play. As for the controllers, I like the PS3 controller for anything that doesn't require throttle or brake. The tr****** are a huge step back from the Xbox when it comes to driving sims. Speaking of driving sims, Forza is hands down better than what Gran Turismo has become. I was a die hard GT fan, but the last one left me bitter. It will take at least another good game in that series for me to buy into it again.

As for MS support, I know already. I am sending mine in...but read what I write. I have already opened up the system, so more than likely they will tell me it will cost $96 to fix. I have also already bought a new one (with HDMI).

·
My flock keeps growing
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am impressed! The new one showed up yesterday...and I ordered it Saturday night!! I must say Buy.com did a fantastic job on the shipping.

Side note, Lego Indiana Jones is very addicting...and so far seems to be kid friendly.

·
The Bike Whisperer
599 Posts
.... You gotta download "Hail to the chimp". Absolutely hilarious!!

·
still learning to ride...
618 Posts
when i bought mine. i was in the whole ps3 vs. 360 ordeal. but 360 won mostly becuz it was cheaper. i was able to trade in my old xbox with a bunch of games i got $55 bucks for all of it. and becuz i got the 60gb 360 that came with kungfu panda and lego indy, i traded those in as well and got another 35 bucks off. so all said and done i paid 272 for a 60gb 360 and 2 used games( motogp 07, and the orange box) which were $17 a piece.

so 272 for a new 360 works for me, opposed to over 500 all said and done for a new ps3...

·
still learning to ride...
618 Posts
I didn't pay that much for my PS3...and I got mine when they first came out.
i was figuring around 500 for everything all said and done. 400 for the ps3 and, another 50bucks for a second controller, and a used game or two, and tax. even with my 50bucks worth of trade-in's it would still be close to $450.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts