Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I came home from work today and guess what I found. My V-storm laying on its side. Oh joy.

So I got the bike up and get everything looked at. Broken signal and bent bars. standard stuff. The bike fired up on first try after I let it sit on the center stand for 15 min. Smoked pretty bad for a while. Took it for a ride about the block and it started to slow down but after a 5 mile ride and when I parked it was still smoking a bit.

Main question: is that normal? Obviously smoking is bad but what should I be looking for?

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
where was the smoke coming from.

if oil leaked onto the exhaust that can smoke until it burns off.

or oil could leak into a cylinder.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured it was oil in the cylinder but I figured after 5 or so miles it would burn off. Oh well. I'll make a run around town tomorrow.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
if it got in the airbox from the vent tube it might take a long time to stop smoking. take the air filter out and have a look in there.

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
Ive never seen wind strong enough to blow a bike over. Are you sure somebody didn't knock it over?
Was there any gas on the ground?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Yeah I've parked in some strong winds but my bike never fell over from it. Especially a heavy bike like a VStrom. I did have my Triumph pushed over by some kids once.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a sail on it (cover) and the bike has been lowered so there isn't as much weight on the side stand.

There wasn't any gas on the ground. A bit of radiator fluid but that's about it. I don't suspect any foul play. Where I'm staying is on top of a hill and there wasn't any cars to block the wind. The wind was gusting fairly bad.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Keep it on the centerstand. V-stroms have centerstands, Don't they? I had a SV-650 and it did. Bought it used so it might have been a mod. It isn't so much the tipping over as the time. She could have been laying on her side for hours. Lots of time for the various fluids to wander around. Gravity always wins.
Wind on a cover can generate an enormous amount of force. Ever been on a sailboat hauling ass? I took my front rotors off and had them turned Monday. Got them back and started putting them back together. I felt a few drops of rain hit and instead of pushing her beck into her shed ( axel was just pushed thru), I just threw the cover on on and went inside to wait out the thunderstorm. It blew hard enough to scoot the bike a little bit. Centerstand left scrape marks on the driveway.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
V-Stroms do not come with a centerstand stock. (Nor do SV650.) There are LOTS of options, though. I think, for the V-Strom, the SW-Motech or OEM Suzuki are the most popular.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts