Sport Bikes banner

21 - 40 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I showed up at my girlfriends cottage on my '07 VFR just as her cousin was pulling up. He hopped out of his truck and said. "Thats kind of cool, for an old school bike". I think my VFR is awesome, and I was crushed. But I shouldn't be surprised, as the Ducati Dorks at work like to call it an old man's bike.

The most annoying thing people say is, "Oh you ride? My _____ died. You shouldn't ride". Everyone has their story of death and destruction.

·
Registered
743 Posts
On my 250 I get "dude that's cool, how fast does it go? maybe 60mph?" When I say low 90s they look at me like I'm full of shit.

On my cruiser its mostly just compliments and flirting from the ladies 10-20 years older than me. If I were 40 and single I would get sooo much action on this thing... but since I'm married to a hot 28 year old and am 29 my self.... its mostly just awkward.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Eating lunch at a fish taco joint, helmet on the table. Dude and his girl comes up and he asks me:

:eek:mg Dude is that your bike out there?
:cereal Yeah it is.
:eek:mg That's awesome looks clean. What is it?
:cereal It's an SV650s. Nothing special. Thank you though.
:eek:mg Cool....cool. What's it got a 600cc motor?
:cereal No, 645cc.
:eek:mg FUR REALS?!?!?!? THEY MAKE THOSE NOW?!?!? NO WAI!
:cereal ......ya.

I didn't really have the heart to break it to him that it's a girls bike and a twin but he seemed blown away by the extra 45cc and he was with what I surmise was his girl so I just let it be. Most of the time I just get asked what it is and comments on how clean it is which are always welcome. But that encounter made me laugh.
He'd flip out if you had a Daytona, with a 675 3 cylinder. LOL

·
Registered
44 Posts
Went into Taco bell and ordered some food. I have my full gear on. Then a young boy and his mom comes in. After several minutes of him eyeing me, he comes up very timid and asks.

little boy about 7: Is that your bike out there?
me: Yeah it is (very friendly tone).
little boy: Is it fast?
me: It can go pretty fast, but I don't ride that fast.
little boy's mom: He wants to get a motorcycle when he gets older. He thinks they are so cool.
me: That's awesome bud. I give him a firm handshake.
little boy is smiling from ear to ear.
me: my food is ready so I say, Hey bud have a good day alright?
little boy: you too!

Quick conversation, but I love the way little kids think you are some kind of superhero when you ride. And when questions come from little kids, I welcome them.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I start flirting with their girlfriends at moments like that. You'd be amazed at how receiving girls and women can be right in front of their men.
I hit every button but the quote....sheesh. Anyways.

Eh he was nice. If he was a douchcanoe about why I didn't get a mans bike like a Gixxah Sixxah I might've done otherwise. Most people that you can tell don't know bikes just want to feel like they belong and talk to you about something cool. I can respect that, no need to dog on them.

That and my g/f would rip my nutsack off of my groin like a papertowel from the roll if I started flirting with a girl uglier than she is.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The two questions I hear most are:
1: Did you build that yourself?
2: Is that really a two stroke?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I have to keep my bike on the rear stand so that I can pull my truck in and out of the carport without hitting the bike. So whenever I have my son, I get home, dump my gear, grab truck keys, throw bike on stand, grab truck and go.

New neighbor was headed to his car a couple weeks ago while I was putting the bike on the stand and said "I've never seen one of those before, what is it, some type of new wheel lock?"

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nothing and I mean NOTHING makes me smile b***** than a little kid giving me a thumbs up, staring in awe, or wanting a fist bump at a red light. Shit like that makes my whole day.
Absolutely.

Reminds me of this past summer when I was on my way home from work. I'm sitting a red light for a minute or two and I know it's a long wait. Eventually I look over to a car in the lane next to me and slightly ahead. There's a young kid at the window waving and looking at me. Obviously I waved back. Then I looked to the car directly next to me and there's a driver smiling and pointing to the back seat - two more little kids waving at me. Wave back at them and then I rev the engine quick once (because I figure if I was a kid, that's what I'd want). The kids loved it.

Definitely made my day. :high5

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
I get a lot of funny comments, as my bike is pretty distinctive. Some people really appreciate the wear patterns. Some (mostly people on shiny bikes, oddly enough) don't really, but pretend to so they think I'll think they're serious riders; lots of silliness in that bunch. Others look at it and think it's junk. Heard one guy at a bike show (DucatiNA sponsored, by invitation, on Ducati Island at the Laguna Seca MotoGP) say "why would you even show up anywhere on that?" He was pretty dumbfounded a couple hours later when DNA and Motorcyclist magazine judged it best in class and gave me about $500 of swag.

PhilB

·
Registered
729 Posts
Dumbest question I've heard to date:

"Do you know why I pulled you over?"

I was very tempted to answer, "Because you think I have a dead body and a bale of pot in the tank bag?" Or maybe, "Because you want to ask if you can ride it?"

·
Registered
729 Posts
On my cruiser its mostly just compliments and flirting from the ladies 10-20 years older than me. If I were 40 and single I would get sooo much action on this thing...

Brother, don't pass up those 40-somethings. An experienced and educated older babe can rock your world if she wants to.

You're missing a bet.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I got stuck behind a school bus once. All the kids were waving at me through the back window. I waved back. They kept waving though lol.

I was at a grad party once and some of the guys were looking at my bike. One of the adults asked the mileage. I said 20k and he responded with oh, wow... Like that was a lot. Then one of the kids asked how fast it was. I said it topped out 118 from what I've read. He said wow, my car is faster than that.

Some people just don't get it.

·
All right meow...
2,719 Posts
I always get the, "Aren't you hot?" Nope, freezing my balls of in August in the Middle East. Muppets. Winter is opposite, 55-60 degrees and I have a mesh jacket, no liner and ride about 12 miles and people are dumbfounded.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
No one really has said anything to me recently. For my last two bikes it's just been other motorcycle riders looking at me and trying to figure out why my bikes (SV650 & VFR800, of course) sounded the way they do. They would catch on with the SV650's engine showing, but I think the VFR confuses those that don't know a bit...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Best thing is when my nephews and nieces watch me gear up and they think I'm some kind of astronaut lol Kids in stores are always like oh he must be in the army or a pilot, yeah I parked my helicopter on the roof. The ones who get it and know it's a motorcycle are like thumbs up and sometimes they just stop and stare, got to love it.

The most common thing I get from adults are:
How fast is it?
How fast have you been on it?
My uncles' ex girlfriends' lesbian lovers' uncles' son died on a bike. You be careful out there.
Nice Gixxer bro. (And the no other conversation at all, lolz)

21 - 40 of 204 Posts