Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend should have been perfect....and it almost was. I had a buddy come down from St. Louis (i.e. 4-hour drive!!) with his '03 Kawasaki ZX-6RR. I drove up two hours to meet up with him and drive the two hours back. The FZ6 did great! comfy up til the last hour...I just couldn't find a comfy spot. On Sat. we did a poker run. About 80 bikes in all. About half way through, huge thunderstorms rolled through. We held out at our stops, waiting for the weather to clear a bit....it didn't. On the way to our last stop, I was coming to a stop for a yellow light...front tire locked up on me. My bike started to fall to the left, I countered, thought I was going to save it...but it went down the other way. :cry I was fine..a few cuts on my left shin but the bike wasn't so lucky. Nothing really bad since I wasn't going but a few mph. But some plastics, mirror, turn signals, etc. are scratched up.
The really bad part is I took it in today and was told that the dealership is 3-4 weeks behind. A month without my new baby?!?!?! CRAP!

PS Saw "The Art of the Motorcycle" exhibit at the Pyramid here in Memphis. Killer exhibit!!! Must see if you haven't already.

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
Bummer about the bike and glad you survived with only a bump/scratch or two! Most of the stuff you list there is easily fixable by yourself though...no need to get rammed by a dealer. Just go to someplace like RonAyers.com or any other OEM parts dealer and order up the parts and replace them yourself- the plastics and lights are fairly easy to do. The scratches on the engine itself may be a different matter...I've never needed to fool with the engine.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
It's always the wet roads that get ya when ya least expect it. What kinda pants where you wearing that you got cuts on your shin?? When I had my low speed low side I had on a pair of JR Alter Ego pants and escaped without a scratch. And people always ask me why I wear all that stuff when I ride :rolleyes
As for the bike ... lets see;
From the one pic it looks like you cracked the main fairing and right inner fairing piece. Together your looking at about $120 I would guess. Each of which is easy to replace yourself. The hardest part is the main fairing cause you have to take off the entire headlight assembly. I would say maybe 2-3 hours work to figure it all out if it's your first time doing it. It doesn't look like you cracked or scratched the visor peice from what I can see. Just remember there's some little rubber things and metal clips from the stock fairing you have to remove and put on the new one.
If the mirror isn't broken I would leave it alone, no need to replace it. It'll cost you $60 for a new one at least. But if you really want it replaced it's a snap to do. You'll have the inner fairing piece off anyway and the 2 nuts are right there easy to get at. You need to take the mirrors off anyway to replace the main fairing.
The pic of the engine is the oil pump cover $35 roughly. The large screw is about $6, and it looks like you mess up the head of a screw $1. So that's a total of $42 there ..... but you really don't "need" to replace that either. It didn't grind the cover down so it'll be fine just the way it is. If you want to replace it it's simple to do, not sure if any oil would come out by taking it off though. So I would wait till the next oil change ... drain the oil like normal then move the drain pan under that piece, remove and replace.
Even the damage to the side cover isn't that bad, but that's only about $20 to replace and would take all of 10 minutes to do. Not sure how much the FZ6 sticker is but can't be too much.

The total would be under $300 if you do the work yourself. Take it to the dealer and your probably looking at a good $700 or so would be my guess.
Save the $$$ and do it yourself I say. And just think .... with the $$ you save you can get a good set of frame sliders if you don't have any yet :D

·
TD Survivor
944 Posts
yeah looks like about the same damage on mine from my fall. do it yourself. the best place i found was www.crotchrocket.com side cover-12.00, body front upper-62.00, visor side-33.00, pannel inner-20.00, cover oil pump-21.00, gasket for oil pump-4.00. thats about it and only 152.00 plus shipping. hell of a lot better than waiting for the dealership and not having a ride. and did i ever say that i am soooo glad i got this bike. imagine if it was a ss and the cost for just one side fairing costing around 450.00.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Yup the dealership will be atleast double what you can find on the internet. Also look at mrcycles.com

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Like others have said, just do it yourself. It'll save you $65/hour, and you can get the parts wicked cheap from mrcycles.com or ronayers.com.

·
POP
490 Posts
m-memphis said:
PS Saw "The Art of the Motorcycle" exhibit at the Pyramid here in Memphis. Killer exhibit!!! Must see if you haven't already.
Hate to here about your bike. Mine still has a couple of small scrapes from a boo-boo I pulled a couple of weeks ago. A couple of friends, my dad, and I are coming down to meet up with a friend from college and go to the drag races on the 20th over at Memphis Motorsports Park. My college friend (lives just south of the Tenn./Miss. state line, works in Memphis) was telling me about the thing at the Pyramid. Is it just paintings and sculptures or do they have some actuall motorcycles their? It does sound interesting and since dad and my friends ride we might have to check that out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I also had a little mishap over the weekend. I went wide on a very sharp, 20-mph turn, hit some gravel and went down on the left side. Luckily I was going slow and wearing full gear, so I escaped with only a sprained ankle and bruised knee.

The bike, however, sustained damage similar to m-memphis's. It wasn't serious enough to file an insurance claim, and I've decided to fix it myself.

The best prices I had found so far were at yamahasportsplaza.com, but crotchrocket.com beats them. Thanks for the links, guys. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Glad your OK. It's too bad about the slower blue one though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I should have an estimate from the dealer in the next day or so. My insurance deductible is only $250 so I'm thinking of going that route. The handlebars were a little crooked too....but my buddy sat on the tire to help straighten it up...so I want the dealer to look at that, make sure all is good with the steering bearings, etc.
I'll look up the other stuff today on the various website you guys gave me...see where that leaves me. Since the bike is only a month or so old...I want everything replaced. I want it back to as perfect as possible. I know seeing a scratch on the mirror or t.signal will drive me nuts. :D
And to add to that...looks like I got a nail in the rear tire as well.
Going to see if that can be fixed as well.

PS The motorcycle thing at the Pyramid is actual bikes. Maybe 60 in all. There's a little audio tour as well...narrated by Jay Leno

·
Registered
245 Posts
The engine parts, I scratched those once, $5, and 35$, bunch of bolts, remove them pop the new part in and wwwhooolaaa, you save yourself some money. (the plastic-even easier)
The best thing about rain, I used to hate it, GET PRACTICE and GET RAIN GEAR OVER YOUR REGULAR GEAR, we went to the Dragon's tail last weekend and it was raining 24/7 for 2 days, just be smooth, be alert, get your good rain coat and that is it. GEAR IS REALLY important, the rain suit made a lot of difference, I been caught up in rain b4 with not raining suit and I ride like a dumb because I just wanna get home quick, but this time with the rain suit it was a whole other story, you do not mind is raining, I used Zooke.com for my helmet visor (anti-fog) excelent! and had a blast (could not ride like I would like , but we had a blast doing 45-55mph-do not push your leaning limits though-it is not the place to do it.
I think the rain this last weeking help me out a lot in smothness, we were up in there 318 turns in 11 mile road and there is not a chance for mishaps, you must pay attention, do not crack the throtle wide open, give yourself plany of space to stop.
The yellow traffic light I hate it too, once ago, I was with my wife (55-60mph) and got to the yellow light I decided to stop, and guess what? passenger's weight all over me, my wife just slide so hard that she almost got to the same spot I was sitting at.
Best thing to do with intersections is WATCH OUT for everything, and sometimes I been forced to pass the yellow line, some people say is not good and is agresive riding, but sometimes happends, I try to avoid it at all cost.

·
Registered
2 Posts
On a lighter note

Hey guys,

This is his buddy from St. Louis. Just wanted to post a not so grim picture. It was a great time. And I'm sure if he has any questions about the repairs, you guys will be able to get him up and running in no time.

Jason

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts