Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
The Coconut Man
Joined
·
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just at the AMA races at Laguna Seca last weekend. Both days during the lunch break they had stunt riders performing on the main straightaway for 15-20 minutes doing all the stuff that squids just love to do.

My question is: Am I the only one who thinks that this kind of "show" shouldn't be included in a pro sports venu? I mean, pro racers are on course zinging around at mach speeds for the entertainment. Why does the public need or have to have this kind of ridiculous behaviour that obviously spills over onto the public roadway? Some of the crowd are young and impressionable so they look at this kind of thing as "way cool", then go out and fuck up doing these stupid pet tricks.

Just my two bits.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
239 Posts
Playing devils advocate, same thing can be said about racing. People watch it and try the same things on the road. Not sure about where you are from but I see more people getting hurt trying to be Johnny racer around these parts.

I love both stunting and racing and they should both be on a "pro venu". It takes a ton of talent for both.
 

·
Nurse Nymphette
Joined
·
7,289 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with having a stunters show during the offtimes at a racing event. I love watching the stunters and as the previous person stated, it takes tremondous talent to do either!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,623 Posts
roch said:
Playing devils advocate, same thing can be said about racing. People watch it and try the same things on the road. Not sure about where you are from but I see more people getting hurt trying to be Johnny racer around these parts.

I love both stunting and racing and they should both be on a "pro venu". It takes a ton of talent for both.
Very well said......Man why do most people have to equate stunting with squids? That is a very ignorrant assumption. And to the OP Pro Stunters are actually drawing crowds comparable to the racing venues you and I both love.....How about not adding to the stunter/racer hatred and have a little more open mind about things. As you can see from my AV I do both....Just because you race it does not mean you can't or don't like to stunt.
 

·
The Coconut Man
Joined
·
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I can see it takes tremendous talent to do the stunts. Handstand while doing a burnout? Yup. And all the other moves that they do take many hours of practice, totally agree. I knew I was going to hit a nerve here with some of you that take it more seriously than others. I just see a lot of needless injuries and deaths around my parts and when I see stunts during a professionally held race with families in attendance and I question it. If everyone could see that it takes a bike that is adjusted to perform in that manner and that the riders themselves are pros, yeah, go for it. But the implication I see is that, hell I can do that and then go out and try to duplicate it.
This wasn't meant to be a slam against squids or associate it with those type of riders (although I guess I did). Just a discussion.......
 

·
Your friendly antagonist
Joined
·
2,346 Posts
Youd think speed related incidents on the highway would be more dangerous than most stunt related incidents. While I don't agree with both on public roads, both racing and stunting on closed courses send out the same vibes to the younger more impressionable crowd.

Guys who see people going fast on the track may want to ride home alittle quicker on their way back, guys seeing people doing wheelies and endos may want to attempt a couple on their way home. Both speeding and stunting are illegal.

I think what people should take from both examples at this event is that they're being done on a closed course, if anyone can take anything from these events its hopefully that if they want to practice either of these they should do it on a closed course.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,515 Posts
and people leaving racing events arent influenced to race on their way home after seeing the day's events? please :rolleyes

you just dont like stunting, and this has nothing to do with whether it should be at an event like this or not. admit it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,515 Posts
SlayingElliott said:
I think what people should take from both examples at this event is that they're being done on a closed course, if anyone can take anything from these events its hopefully that if they want to practice either of these they should do it on a closed course.
precisely
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,723 Posts
The only negative I could see, is if the stunt guys are not fully geared up.

If these guys' gear consists of a helmet alone...I think it sets a bad example.

But the actual behavior on the bike...I have no problem, especially since its on a closed course.

Were they wearing gear?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,370 Posts
roch said:
Playing devils advocate, same thing can be said about racing. People watch it and try the same things on the road. Not sure about where you are from but I see more people getting hurt trying to be Johnny racer around these parts.

I love both stunting and racing and they should both be on a "pro venu". It takes a ton of talent for both.

Exactly. And you aren't playing the advocate, T-rat is.

This is one dumb, close minded hypocritical argument that none of us should have to waste any time debating.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
holy double post batman :neener

but anyway.. i agree that as long as its done on the track its fine.. its when i see people doing it down the street that pisses me off..
 

·
Skid Mark
Joined
·
1,294 Posts
TriumphRat said:
Why does the public need or have to have this kind of ridiculous behaviour that obviously spills over onto the public roadway? Some of the crowd are young and impressionable so they look at this kind of thing as "way cool", then go out and fuck up doing these stupid pet tricks.

Just my two bits.......
probably for some of the same reasons why i spent a week learning to do a "kick-flip" back in the day when i rode a skateboard. my friends all thought i was cool when i landed one. i suspect it's much the same way when someone does a 60mph stoppie for 300 feet. only difference is it's an older kid...


s3aturnr
 

·
The Coconut Man
Joined
·
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay, first off....I don't "hate" stunters. Hate is a pretty strong word to use, bro!

The guys stunting for the show were not wearing gear other than gloves and helmets. They were good, I give them that. I still tend to think that if we are motorcycle riders trying to rope in insurance costs and public image of superbikers that this is not a good thing to promote to the general public.
Some of you don't agree, that's pretty freakin' obvious. I'm okay with that because it sounds like you think you're pretty good at this sort of thing. What I'm saying is that the image of what is projected looks like fun and is easy to do without any disclaimer of the fact that these guys are playing with 400 pound customized machines and have practiced for months at this.

Anyways, end of my input here. Let the thread die if that is to be.........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,905 Posts
TriumphRat said:
Okay, first off....I don't "hate" stunters. Hate is a pretty strong word to use, bro!
The guys stunting for the show were not wearing gear other than gloves and helmets. They were good, I give them that. I still tend to think that if we are motorcycle riders trying to rope in insurance costs and public image of superbikers that this is not a good thing to promote to the general public.

of course its not.... I know where stunt shows are held here, gear is mandatory, a ) because they are sponsored and have to wear it and b) to promote a healthy image...

most of us are our own worse enemy...I just took it like you didnt like the squidly display of tricks

All good in tha hoodzorz !!11
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Its a closed course with no traffic and plenty of space...that fact in itself makes it one of the BEST places to do it.

That being said, riders who go to a professional race/stunt event and attempt to utilize the moves they see there on the street are in all probability current public stunters or will become squids down the road through exposure to any form of extreme riding(track or street) that they witness.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top