Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Human After All
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already bought this hunk of junk Amazon.com: Titan Stud Puller - 3/8in. Drive, Model 16023: Home Improvement that claims to work on 6mm studs. It didn't even bite the stud I need to remove before it tightened as far as it goes. So ignore its bullshit claim of works on 6mm studs.

Have any of you used a specific product that worked on a 6mm stud before?

I need to get these exhaust studs off soon so I can put my exhaust back together because I am going nuts having 2/3 of my garage's free space covered in bike bits and the other 1/3 is full of my wife's chicken coop in progress parts, and I won't let her use the miter saw until the bike is back together so she's getting really pissy at me having to use the circular and reciprocating saws outside the garage.

I don't have a trailer to take the whole bike to a garage to get it done and I don't want to pull the head if I don't absolutely have to either.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Never seen one like that.
I would try a good pair of vise grips first. Then grinding 2 flats on it for the vise grips second. Then a pipe wrench. Pipe wrenches tighten as you apply force.
Actually I'd go for the pipe wrench first. You can find them in 6"-8" sizes if room is tight
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
if they still have some exposed section you can try various "grab and twist" techniques.

cut a slot in the stud, use a standard screw driver to try and twist it out.

pipe wrench.

ect.

if you can't get it out, apply chemicals (pblaster, nut buster, whichever. i suggest you just grab the one with the most warning labels on it, those tend to be the most effective.)

tap the studs, this can help.

if you still can't get it out, apply heat.

you want the aluminium hot, the stud cold. i usually use a ice cube to keep the stud cold.

once you have worn the stud down till no thread stick out, time to start drilling.

first use a punch to put a divot in the center of the stud. then use a really small drill bit to drill a hole in the bolt. (i usually do this part with a drill press)

use b***** drill bits until you can use an easy out, see if you can use that to get the stud out.

if the stud still wont come out, keep getting b*****.

eventually you will have drilled the whole stud out.

go get yourself a helicoil kit, and put that in.

if you drilled off center and destroyed the hole in the aluminium, take it to a welder, have them refill the hole. then drill it out again and put a helicoil kit in it.

(if you break an easy out, or tap off, go to some one who has a bolt destroyer, that will remove it.)

·
Registered
971 Posts
Did you try Sears? I've had good luck with their Craftsman bolt and screw removal tools. Shoot some WD-40 on the threads, then hit it with a small torch briefly. Then try the removal tool. That will usually pull one out.

If not, then jeff08's got the answer. Drill it out and retap or use a helicoil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts