Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Kawi Ninja 250 with 3,8xx miles.

Here's the current issue: 1 have the carbs off my bike and 3 screws are frozen on. All the screws are clearly frozen, most required liquid wrench and vice grips to get off. 3 screws however cannot be gripped by either vice grips or needle nose pliers, and despite applying liquid wrench 2x a day for the past 4 days I am making no progress. I even tried semi gentle chiseling today (didnt want to damage the carbs). Is my only option now to drill them out? I very much want to get it fixed and start riding!

Here's the issue with the bike: It was running when I got it, but one morning would not really. Before I took the carbs out, would only turn on with the choke full open, would turn on and rev up to 5k rpm then die back down in the period of 10 seconds. No response when the throttle is used during this time. THe bike had not been riden in the past year, so conclusion was the carbs. In getting to them I discovered the bike had no air filter. (I have bought one and air filter oil to put in when I put the bike back together.) Is my diagnosis correct? Thank you so much for taking the time to read this!! I'm really hoping someone can help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which screws are problematic

The two on the float bowls that also hold on the throttle adjuster and on the top that keeps the diaphram cover on and the piece of metal that connects to the throttle (the cable you have to disconnect from the front (towards the front of the bike) of the carbs. Basically the ones you cant get a good grip on with pliers or a vice grip.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
If the heads are now knackered yer gonna have to drill em . if not yet knackered re slot em for your driver making sure yer driver is of good quality , and have another go , the application of shock is always a help so whack the screwdriver with a hammer sending the shock down through the screw . I have a tool for this called an impact driver ,the hammer is the cheap version . Heat also helps but be careful around petrol and alloy with heat .

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
OP;

As far as the three screws go-You have the right idea with the sharp chisel and hammer. You likely are being too gentle, but obviously you don't want to break the carb casting, so don't go crazy with it. However they can take a little force. I would stay away from any heat (cept maybe a heat gun with some caution or hair dryer with the vacuum slides still in the carbs, plus plasctic floats, fuel residue, accelrator pump diaphram is rubber etc.....). Your other options do include (as posted by someone else) to take a hack saw blade and cut a straight slot through the head of the screw and use a straight slotted screwdriver that fits correctly....a hand held impact would have been the best start once realizing they were not budging with a screwdriver by hand....then of course you have the drill the heads off option.

As far as your original diagnosis- a year sitting it is highly probable that they needed to come off and be thoroughly cleaned.

The tank has fresh fuel in it? and it is full enough?

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
pretty much everything riverszzr has said. have you tried a hand impact driver? if you own a motorcycle you should own one of these. motorcycles are full of soft phillips screws and these guarantee that your not going to strip a stuck screw.

https://www.google.com/search?q=han...:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb
they work by driving the bit into the screw at the same time twisting from the impact of the hammer strike. they're worth their weight in gold and has saved me so much time headaches and money over the years.

if you don't want to buy one of those (very bad decision) the next thing you should try is to cut a slot in the head of the screw. but instead of a hack saw blade borrow or buy a dremel and cut a slot in the screw head. now you can use a flat blade screw driver. drilling should be your very last option as it will almost guarantee you'll bugger it up. (no offense)

·
Registered
13 Posts
On frozen screws I usually use a T-handled screwdriver while soaking with liquid wrench. It allows you to use alot more force than a normal screwdriver and has worked every time for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used an impact driver and with a little urging the screws came right out! Thank you all so much for your help!! Now I just have to get the jets out, they aren't responding to gentle screw driver pressure so im soaking them in liquid wrench, which will hopefully work, as you need to be gentle with the soft brass. Any other suggestions for how to get them out?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used an impact driver and with a little urging the screws came right out! Thank you all so much for your help!! Now I just have to get the jets out, they aren't responding to gentle screw driver pressure so im soaking them in liquid wrench, which will hopefully work, as you need to be gentle with the soft brass. Any other suggestions for how to get them out?
I used i believe a #1 left handed drill bit to get my pilot jets out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts