Sport Bikes banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was approaching a stop light and down shifted into neutral, before I could get below 15mph the light changed and I tried to up shift back into second. The bike was stuck in neutral and did not want to go up or down with the clutch pulled all the way in. It took a large effort and a loud thump to get it into gear. I thought something was messed up but it seems to be running fine now. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
79 Posts
i have noticed it too and lg33kt has it right. I think its because the transmission plates will engage enough to spin teh gears a little allowing them to engage.

And lg33t, greetings from milwaukie, or.

·
Training wheels
334 Posts
just the gears not lining up properly... usually to fix this just let the clutch out and pull it back in again to get the gears spinning and lining up properly again

·
Lemming's Revenge
665 Posts
I've also found that you can blip the throttle a little with upward pressure on the lever and it will click into gear.

·
Training wheels
334 Posts
I've also found that you can blip the throttle a little with upward pressure on the lever and it will click into gear.
I hope you mean with the clutch pulled in, because if not thats not a good way to go from nuetral to 2nd

·
Lemming's Revenge
665 Posts
Of course with the clutch in, Basically by blipping the throttle you're getting the transmission speed up to match what the bike is traveling. If you're traveling with the bike in neutral the gears might not be spinning fast enough to make the shift back smoothly. If you try to force it, the gears will grind a little then pop into gear, by blipping the throttle everything is more in sync.

But then again i'm not a bike genius and I could be screwing up my transmission :)

·
NOT SURE
1,003 Posts
marshallrazor said:
I was approaching a stop light and down shifted into neutral, before I could get below 15mph the light changed and I tried to up shift back into second. The bike was stuck in neutral and did not want to go up or down with the clutch pulled all the way in. It took a large effort and a loud thump to get it into gear. I thought something was messed up but it seems to be running fine now. Any thoughts?
This topic has been posted on the forum repeatedly. I still can't understand why people want to coast in neutral and then are perplexed as to why they can not get back into gear.

If your decelerating to 15mph, then you should be 1st gear. Yet your in neutral and want to jump to 2nd. Why do you want to operate like this? I want to blast people for doing this but instead I'll just ask WHY?

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
AugieNYC said:
This topic has been posted on the forum repeatedly. I still can't understand why people want to coast in neutral and then are perplexed as to why they can not get back into gear.

If your decelerating to 15mph, then you should be 1st gear. Yet your in neutral and want to jump to 2nd. Why do you want to operate like this? I want to blast people for doing this but instead I'll just ask WHY?

+1

I can not understand why anyone would place a bike in neutral, while still rolling.

·
The Flying Finn
2,594 Posts
^^^ I agree, but not on the wording. I go down to 1st gear, and then a couple feet from the light I'll pop into neutral (easier than when stopped). Hell I rode my brothers Harley and you couldn't find neutral if you waited until you stopped moving.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I only pop it into neutral if there are more than 2 cars completely stopped behind me and I expect to be a while.

now in his situation, I clutch out, preload the shifter, blip the throttle and it usually slides right in.

·
Banned
2,576 Posts
don't use the clutch at all, just reach down with your left hand and yank that sumbitch up as hard as you can....ignore the grinding crunchy noises...totally normal for what you're doing. just get the POS back in gear and twist that throttle and keep f'n riding.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.