Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, in the process of changing out my brake fluid, I stripped my screws on the resevoir. The screws must not have ever been taken out because there was VERY little fluid in there. So, does anyone know how to take out stripped screws? I heard drilling them out would be the best way, but I have no idea what to do exactly. Any and all help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Were the heads on the screws phillips head?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah they were/are phillips head. I'm afraid I may have to buy a whole new resevoir/master cylinder. They are were in horrible condition. Is there anyway I could possibly re-tap the screws?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
If you are just having problems because the heads are mangled, try jamming a TORX bit in them. You can even use a hammer to lightly tap them in. If the actual threads in the master resevervoir are gone, you can easily drill them out and retap them, or put in a time-sert or helicoil. They are both easy to use, and any shop should do them for very cheap. A good idea for future reference, if screws or bolts are having a hard time coming up, let them soak for 30 mins in some WD 40 or other lubricant. Also, having an impact driver is one of the best tools for any DIY project.

·
Industrial superstar
722 Posts
If it's the heads you should be able to get a good grab on them with a vice grips. If it's the threads screwed up I'd just get a new one. Hell most res. are only like five bucks on e-bay.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You can try an impact wrench with the appropriate socket. People suggest using some valve lapping compound in the head to help the removal tool's grip. Alternately, you can use a screw extractor.

However, I advise you to take it to a shop. I did the same thing to my master brake reservoir screws, and I ended up breaking a screw extractor in the head of the screw. In the end, I wasted a lot of money trying to remove the stripped screw and had to buy a used reservoir.

I suggest you let a shop handle this job. They should be able to get it out for about $20 or so. That's a lot cheaper than a new reservoir. Also, don't fool around with the stripped heads any more... they might still be useful to an experienced mechanic to remove the screw.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Oh, using a screw extractor... you can get the drill bit, screw extractor, and t-handle from any decent hardware store.

First you bore a hole in the exact middle of the screw using the correct size cobalt or titanium drill bit (the screw extractor will tell you which size to use). Then you insert the screw extractor (which is left-hand threaded) into the bored hole and twist counterclockwise lightly. The extractor should grip the inside of the screw and the screw should come out easily. If you feel a slight spring in the screw extractor, do NOT apply more force... you might break the screw extractor in the head and that's a REAL problem.

Again, I suggest taking it to a pro.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts