Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who else rolls their eyes everytime they see one? Usually the rider just sits in a parking lot and talks about how fast the bike is. I for one can't stand the look. I do understand drag bikes being stretched, but why in the hell do squids insist on doing this to street bikes? I mean it has to make the bike handle like pure shit.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
emw said:
*shrugs*

Different strokes for different folks.
+1

...but yeah, stretched, chromed swingarms on bikes that never see a dragstrip get a big eyeroll from me. Screams POSEUR to me, and makes me throw up a little in my mouth.

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
There was this one guy on a Z1000 today that caught my attention. I heard his open headers running out the second story window. Went to look and its this guy with dyed spiked hair, some Oakley like glasses, ear rings, ( so obviously no helmet ) and a custom star paint job on the bike. I think he was chewing gum too. lol.

I make judgment more on what the rider looks like than the bike.

I think chromed anything is dumb, but Il respect the guy if he is dressed like an individual that asks to be taken seriously and thinks he should get some respect.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I don't like chrome on sportbikes. If I see a chromes swingarm on a 'Busa... I can pretty much guess his intentions as to why he's into riding. That is sure as hell not why I'm in it, and in my opinion the reasons he's in it are shallow, ignorant, and just not near adequate to earn my respect. No offense.

Drag racing with a turbo'd liter bike can be interesting, and I know some of those guys really put effort into it and come up with some hellacious machines, but usually there's not a whole lot of chrome and bling on those things, either.

I'm a function before fashion person, but I don't mind if you're upgrading something and want to make it look nice too. Bling alone doesn't make you go faster, despite common beliefs, and that's what wears on me. :)

·
NO LAG !!!
1,255 Posts
bdrushto said:
Drag racing with a turbo'd liter bike can be interesting, and I know some of those guys really put effort into it and come up with some hellacious machines, but usually there's not a whole lot of chrome and bling on those things, either.

I'm a function before fashion person, but I don't mind if you're upgrading something and want to make it look nice too. Bling alone doesn't make you go faster, despite common beliefs, and that's what wears on me. :)
+1....

·
NO LAG !!!
1,255 Posts
Gilitar said:
Who else rolls their eyes everytime they see one? Usually the rider just sits in a parking lot and talks about how fast the bike is. I for one can't stand the look. I do understand drag bikes being stretched, but why in the hell do squids insist on doing this to street bikes? I mean it has to make the bike handle like pure shit.
"To each their own". I'm not a chrome fan but, if all bikes were the same color and style life would be boring. When your bike is making 400+ whp trust me you will need to strech it. I didn't want to listen to my tuner and he showed me what a turbo bike on a stock wheelbase will do. 170 mph power wheelies isn't comforting when you are just rolling on the throttle. Bike handling isn't as bad as you think. I can still scrap knee but, I will never have the corner speed as a stock wb bike. That's the purpose of having more than one bike though and the reason why I ride. Options and choices. You feel like something different, you ride something different. :eatpop

·
Banned
2,619 Posts
Gilitar said:
So you are assuming that the person sitting on the bike in the parking lot, is a squid, and doesnt race it? Can't race every day bud... i know guys that get together with there friends, on there stretched / lowered bikes, cruise, and park and etc.. hang out...

then, race them bitches on friday nights at the track and run 8's / 9's lol...

I also think they look hawt.... i'd like to have one for the twisties and one for drag, personally...

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I don't care for them myself but everyone is different and has different tastes.

·
ZRO BLNG
1,839 Posts
In some places like Florida, twisties are few and far between. So instead of making their bikes handle better, they trick them out with fat tires, extended swing arms, chrome, candy paint, etc. No different than customizing a car.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Nope, cant say that I do. It's not my thing, but it's what makes people who they are, individuality. Many people 'roll their eyes' when they see you dressed up in full leathers looking like a power ranger at a stop light. Do I care if people think I look like a power ranger? No. On the flip side, do I insult or turn a cheek to people who are doing their own thing? Absolutely not. You can't judge others if you expect the same respect.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Its all good in the hood...people like that who piss their money away make the parts cheaper for us if we were so inclined to want them...

·
Registered
492 Posts
BaileyMoto, I'm with you 100%

My words exactly. The motorcycle community itself is judged harshly by outsiders. Sad how actual riders are worse then some people that don't ride.

Let people do their thing.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
AQCZ said:
BaileyMoto, I'm with you 100%

My words exactly. The motorcycle community itself is judged harshly by outsiders. Sad how actual riders are worse then some people that don't ride.

Let people do their thing.

I haven't seen one single post here suggesting that people should not be allowed to do their own thing: stretched chromed swingarms, whatever. People are just expressing their opinions of these things, in direct response to the OP's question. That's all it is, opinions.

And yeah, I've gotten some real strange looks walking through a mall or grocery store in my full leathers, and I really don't care. I also don't have a problem with people thinking I'm some kind of a freak; they are entitled to their opinion and I don't have such a thin skin that I can't take differing opinions or even outright disapproval, just so long as nobody actually tries to INTERFERE with me doing my own thing. Merely expressing an opinion is not interference, and this mentality is what leads to our current environment of political correctness where it's almost impossible to talk about anything anymore without someone getting offended and having their panties in a bunch.

My leathers are solid black. Once I was in a Walmart in my gear and I walked past a couple young girls who worked in the store. As I walked by, they giggled and one of them muttered to her friend, "what, does he think he's the Terminator?". I just wished I had thought quick enough drop my sunglasses back down over my eyes, turn around, and say in my best Arnold impersonation, "I'll be back!" :lao

But then I've actually had strangers stop me to ask me questions about my gear; I love these opportunities to talk to folks and educate them a bit about motorcycling. But if someone justs wants to look at me funny for being a power ranger, that's OK too.

·
Registered
492 Posts
F&D said:
My leathers are solid black. Once I was in a Walmart in my gear and I walked past a couple young girls who worked in the stored. As I walked by, they giggled and one of them muttered to her friend, "what, does he think he's the Terminator?". I just wished I had thought quick enough drop my sunglasses back down over my eyes, turn around, and say in my best Arnold impersonation, "I'll be back!" :lao
lol, that would've been funny

I meant more overall though then just this topic: (look at that squid, they are posers, blah blah blah).

·
All right meow...
2,719 Posts
Different strokes for different folks.

Its personally not my style, but then again I look like I belong to the Salvation Army race team when I ride.

·
It's good to B-King
3,290 Posts
I *like* them but would never own one. For one, I don't like chrome, for the other, I want to do more than cruise or go fast in a straight line. Stretching it destroys that functionality. If you chrome it out, it's kind of a show bike, and I would be afraid of trashing it.

It's the riders I mainly roll my eyes at. Dude's riding around with Rey Mysterio masks on and crap like that will ALWAYS get an eyeroll from me (don't laugh, I saw it at a QS&L bike night once).

1 - 20 of 46 Posts