Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What up guys/gals

So this is a long term discussion for an upgrade bike, probably next year or 2 years before I actually buy one for financial reasons. But anyways, for my entire life I've only been attracted to "sport bikes" and by my definition these are fully faired, clip on, annoying ergo machines. But triumph has really got my whistle wet with the street and speed triples to the point where I don't even know whats what anymore haha.

So anyways, I had planned to pick up a 675r for my next bike, but the street and speed have caught my eye so question is whats the big difference between the street r and 675r, i know the speed has got more cc to it. Is it just relaxed bars and no fairings? I may have to stick to the sportier 675 and get a naked roadster when I'm a bit "older" but a nice street/speed with bar end mirrors is fudging down right sexy.

Just kinda looking for opinions I guess :tumbleweed

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
You're in Canada. Check insurance rates first. For Ontario, if you're under 25 all 3 of those options will cost you over $3k a year for insurance alone.

·
Lickalotapuss
2,859 Posts
What kind of riding do you plan on doing?

Both the speed and street will have a more relaxed riding position than the 675. The street will be detuned, too but you will not find any of the three lacking in power or fun. I have ridden all three but owned a speed for 5 years. The power is crazy fun, but for for those twisties, I think the lighter weight of the other two would be better. And then you are left to riding position...IMHO of course :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya ill be 25 when I pick it up, not too too worried about insurance just more looking at the differences performance wise between the three at the end of the day any "fun" bike is gonna rape me on insurance, its just something you learn to accept in ontario

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
jesus, and I thought 3 grand a year was simple assrape for insurance. and here you guys are tlaking about how it's just normal. . .
what kind of money do y'all make out there? yeesh. .

anyway, I'd go get a street triple in a heartbeat, myself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
ya they hosed me for 4200$ first year with my 650r, the type of riding would be a mix of everything, trips to the twisties, casual commuting to school and work, trips with the boys to the beach and camping just kinda a mix of everything

AND they charge me 3700 for my car (05 VW golf), I have no tickets, no accidents, no nothing and have had my full g for 4 years lol insurance companies dont like me apparently

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
I haven't ridden a 675 or Street, but I did an extended ride on a Speed and it was wholly unimpressive. There are many bikes I would buy before that one. I have heard good things about the Speed Triple R though.

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
jesus, and I thought 3 grand a year was simple assrape for insurance. and here you guys are tlaking about how it's just normal. . .
what kind of money do y'all make out there? yeesh. .

anyway, I'd go get a street triple in a heartbeat, myself.
Under 25 it is "normal". It's still ass-rape, but it's the norm.

$4200? You could have bought a brand new 250R for that money. Every year. I know though - chicks dig dudes with bikes. Then again, $4200 will get you a ton of prostitutes.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
What up guys/gals

So this is a long term discussion for an upgrade bike, probably next year or 2 years before I actually buy one for financial reasons. But anyways, for my entire life I've only been attracted to "sport bikes" and by my definition these are fully faired, clip on, annoying ergo machines. But triumph has really got my whistle wet with the street and speed triples to the point where I don't even know whats what anymore haha.

So anyways, I had planned to pick up a 675r for my next bike, but the street and speed have caught my eye so question is whats the big difference between the street r and 675r, i know the speed has got more cc to it. Is it just relaxed bars and no fairings? I may have to stick to the sportier 675 and get a naked roadster when I'm a bit "older" but a nice street/speed with bar end mirrors is fudging down right sexy.

Just kinda looking for opinions I guess :tumbleweed
Speed triple: completely different from other 2 bikes. Heavier, more torque, worse suspension.

Daytona 675R: best suspension/brakes of the bunch. Comes with carbon fiber accessories, quick shifter, has fairings, clipons, higher pegs.

Regular Daytona 675: good suspension, good brakes, same clipons/pegs.

Street Triple R: same suspension/brakes as regular Daytona, lower pegs, more upright seating position, higher bars, no windscreen, different seat.

Regular Street Triple, same as R, worse suspension and brakes.

Now are you talking about 2012 and older or 2013 bikes? 2013 bikes have ABS (option on standard bikes, included on R), slipper clutch, low exhaust, more power, etc.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
272 Posts
You forget to mention that although the engine is the same on the Daytona and the STR, they are tuned alot differently. The Daytona, being a sportbike, has a top end favoured power range while the Street is much more linear.....more lower end hp and torque. The Street Triple R is one of motorcycle.com's favourite bikes pretty much every year.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
awesome thanks guys thats pretty much what I was looking for, I think i'll go with my initial feelings and get the daytona before getting into any roadsters, I'll try and hit up a demo sometime this year and test them out, but I have sat on them all and they all where comfortable for me, roadsters more so of course.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
You forget to mention that although the engine is the same on the Daytona and the STR, they are tuned alot differently. The Daytona, being a sportbike, has a top end favoured power range while the Street is much more linear.....more lower end hp and torque. The Street Triple R is one of motorcycle.com's favourite bikes pretty much every year.
Not hugely different. You can gain those low end numbers relatively simply on the Daytona with a few cheaper mods/tune just like how you can tune the street motor and throw in Daytona cams and get the top end.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
461 Posts
I had the same thought process (wanting a sport bike forever) when trying to chose an 'upgrade' bike after my 250. I ultimately chose the street triple r over the Daytona because i thought it had a little more cool factor being a naked bike and it gives you 99% of the Daytona performance in a more comfortable package. With that said, you can't really go wrong when choosing one of the 675 models.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Maybe keep in mind your size and weight. IMO the STR is a good fit for guys under 6' and 190 lbs, and for guys over that then the Speed Triple is a bit b***** with even more torque. The Daytona is awesome but less comfortable for general street riding as are all pure sport-bikes, but younger guys often don't mind that. All three bikes are definitely a threat to your driver's licence.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Although I love the Street Triple, it feels like a small bike to me. I'm 6'0" and I can easily put both feet flat on the ground with knees slightly bent. The Speed Triple is quite a bit b*****, which I prefer. I could see the Street Triple being an absolutely fantastic bike for ergos for a rider under 6'0" like wayne said.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am shorter, 5,10 about 155 but I've got the legs of someone 6,0 or taller haha. I measure the same leg length as a buddy who is 6,2 I was just blessed with an small torso apparently. I can flat foot any bike I've ever sat on, super sports, my 650r, and pretty close on the speed as well. I think you nailed it Wayne, I'm still young enough to not care about my bike not being the most comfy choice, still in that honeymoon stage where I'll put up with it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts