Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my 2010 Street Triple R yesterday, first triumph I have ever owned. Anyone else here own a Street or Speed triple? I will not be able to ride it until spring unfortunately, so for now it sits with 0 on the odometer! I want to replace the exhaust and maybe mess around with the tuning a bit, anyone else have any of these bikes that they have modified? I ordered it with the fly screen and windshield.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I know a few people have them. I would post this in General not to many people check the sub-forum. I know how it feels to buy a bike then not be able to ride it. I just picked up a new one right before the weather changed. But im lucky with the weather here I will be able to sneak in some rides here and there.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Check out triumph675.net for street triple info. Also a new side mount exhaust by compition works is out for a very fair 350 at the group buy price.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got one back in April. I live in Sioux Falls, so my newest dealer is in Omaha.
Got the Matte Gray one. I have had a lot of bikes, and came from 10 fun years on Buells.
But when HD shut them down, I decided to move on.
You'll love the bike. It handles great and the power is like the best of v-twin grunt, and in-line 4 top-end rush! I put 4,000 fun miles on mine this Summer.
I bought bikes in the Fall before, and at least you usually do better on price then.
Enjoy, Michael

·
Registered
357 Posts
I bought my R just last September and LOVE it! A few pointers;
-take most of the slack out of the throttle at the adjuster near the throttle.
-I adjusted the gear shift lever down about half an inch for better shifting; the shifting is even slicker after the first oil change at 800kms; be sure to change the oil (and filter) to 10w-40 fully synthetic MOTORCYCLE oil at 800kms.
-the suspension is a bit stiff until broken in after 1000kms; I only weigh 160lbs so I adjusted the compression and rebound half way between standard and soft which is firm and just right for me. I use 40psi in the back tire and 36psi in the front.
-buy the grab rail kit and the rear tire hugger accessories cos they really complete the look of the bike
-the bike actually sounds fantastic (especially the intake roar) with the stock exhaust without being annoying or attracting the attention of the cops. The stock polished stainless steel cans look beautiful and compliment the chrome headlights and flow very well. Aftermarket exhausts are extremely expensive and noisy and may only get you a couple of extra horses if the ecu mapping is changed; you need very knowledgeable people to properly tune the bike. This bike is so light, torquey and fast that you don't need aftermarket anything for the engine; the factory did it right. You might drill some extra holes in the plastic intake piece (under the headlights) for better intake flow. Don't remove it cos it will let in a lot of bugs to plug the filter.
-For the matte paint use Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax spray; it protects without leaving residue.
-Don't listen to idiots who say otherwise; follow the manufacturer's break-in recommendations within reason to prevent engine damage. Motors are tight and run hot until broken in so go easy. Ride for conditions and with discretion with this bike or you will quickly kiss your license good-bye or T-bone some old granny pulling out in front of you lol. The brakes are powerful so make sure a car does not run into the back of you.
-recommend motovationusa.com for frame sliders and other bling; remember even a stationary tip-over can ruin a $1000 gas tank!
-This bike has wonderful useable power for the street and I think it is not a good idea to mess with the engine tune on a new bike. Down the road when you have the extra bucks you can add an aftermarket exhaust and maybe a K&N air filter and have the mapping adjusted by a reputable Triumph mechanic, but do not expect any more than 3-5 horses at the rear wheel. - Wayne :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Just thought I'd mention that it would be a good idea to check your vin number and if it is before vin 456776 you should order the upgraded R/R (regulator/rectifier) kit for this bike Triumph part no T1301234 from the dealer for around $220; well worth it for peace of mind. Triumph should really have a recall on this but they are trying to avoid it. Mine is still ok after 2000 kms but they are iffy in hot weather. Best to replace it now rather than take the chance on damaging the electrics or being stuck in the middle of nowhere and a big towing charge. It is located between the motor and the swingarm. I am replacing mine myself as it is not that difficult. Of course Triumph will replace it on warranty if it breaks down but you will still be stuck with the inconvenience and towing expense. The only issues I have read about on this bike are the R/R problem and rare instances of a sticking can chain tensioner and resulting loose cam chain (easily fixed) but generally speaking it is a solid bike. bfn - Wayne :)

·
Registered
839 Posts
good point on the R/R but you can also get one significantly cheaper of an old R1 or a couple other bikes... I only paid $75 for mine off of ebay and put it on my 06 Sprint after my R/R went bad.

Another great forum for all things triumph is triumphrat.net

they have the how-to's on there too; including the one for replacing the R/R

1 - 9 of 9 Posts