Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
rectal rooter
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering, if i had (which i dont) the money to say buy a straight GP bike, say the aprilia cube or M1, what would it take to make it street legal? is it possible? i mean, aside from the obvious peripherals like tags, mirrors, and signals, what else? there are no emissions tests here in florida anymore, so i dont think that would play a part, down here anyway. anything else? and oh yeah, how much? with the millions of R&D they spend on these machines, what would the actually cost of one be?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I heard that Ducati will be selling a limited number of GP bikes to the public next year for $60,000 a pop.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
they don't have enough electrical to support headlights and/or tailights.......

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
a muffler, and some DOT slicks, and a person following behind you with a rear wheel starter, or someone to push you, because the bikes don't exactly idle great, and die commonly. Oh and also make sure you get a factory team of mechanics to follow behind you.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Well, assuming you had the millions of dollars to buy one and maintain it, you would just have to slap lights on it and pass emissions (if it's required). But, since it doesn't have a VIN number you will need to get one through your motor vehicles department. Well, I highly doubt anybody could actually buy a Honda because they are really anal about their bikes. In fact, I highly doubt you can buy any GP bike because I believe most manufacturers crush a most of their bikes and maybe keep one or two for display (it may be gutted). I know for a fact you can buy ex-Superbike like Neil Hodgson's 998 GSE was bought by some rich dude. In fact that same guy buys a bunch of ex-WSB Ducatis and he was even featured on the Ducati website.

Oh yeah, I hope that the M1 or Cube isn't your first bike. I highly suggest you start small. :D :) :flipa

·
Registered
522 Posts
The Ducati you're thinking of is the Desmosedidi Street bike, which is based on the GP bike. It's not an actual GP bike as far as I know, if so it'll be a steal for $60k.

Oh yeah, totally forgot about all the other parts you would need to actually ride it on the street such as starter, alternator, ignition, etc, etc.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
A good friend of mine has a Honda NSR500, it's far from street legal, but it is a TRUE GP BIKE, he got it for $35k, with a bunch of spares and some nice Honda "kit" parts. So they are attainable, but not without some cash, especially if you want a new one, I guess this is where it would pay off to be a famous rapper.

·
Registered
183 Posts
TJT said:
I heard that Ducati will be selling a limited number of GP bikes to the public next year for $60,000 a pop.

Correction - Ducati will be selling streetable bikes based on what they're running in GPs. It will have a V4 motor, will *look* like the GP bike, and will use at least some of what Ducati has learned in GPs, but it IS NOT THE GP BIKE.

Why??? Current MotoGP rules specifically forbid production parts. Race parts cannot be used in a street bike, and you cannot use street parts in a race bike. Usage of production parts in a GP race will disqualify the team from MotoGP. Just ask the British Harris team about that one - They used an R1 as a test mule to design their own GP bike. No parts were common, but because Harris used a streetbike as a starting point, they were DQ'd from racing and lost several million British Pounds (x1.5 = US$) for zero return.

What makers can do is use what they've learned to make better/faster bikes that they can produce for sale. So you can rest assured that anything you will see in anyone's street bike is NOT the same as what's used in the racer. YES, Ducati is making a V4. YES, Honda have a streetable version of the RC211V's rear suspension. YES, the marketing guys have the stylists make these bike look like their GP daddys.

But it ain't the same. It's merely "Based On."

Scott :)

·
retired from here
4,122 Posts
kranok said:
i was just wondering, if i had (which i dont) the money to say buy a straight GP bike, say the aprilia cube or M1, what would it take to make it street legal? is it possible? i mean, aside from the obvious peripherals like tags, mirrors, and signals, what else? there are no emissions tests here in florida anymore, so i dont think that would play a part, down here anyway. anything else? and oh yeah, how much? with the millions of R&D they spend on these machines, what would the actually cost of one be?
they would make absolutly horrid street bike. way to pipey, suspension wheels and frame would not stand up to the abuse, no where near as reliable as they would need to be. it would be like taking a f1 car and tring to drive it around as a street car. if you have enough money you could do it but it would not be fun for long.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts