Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm having a little trouble deciding on a boot to get for commuting to work. I don't own a car, so I ride every day about 45 minutes to work. The way I see it I have to options, getting a "race" style boot and have an extra pair of shoes to just wear when I get to work or get a comfortable "street" boot/shoe that I can wear all day at work and eventually get a serious race boot later for when I start doing track days. Now, I'm leaning more towards the second option mostly because I don't want to have to change shoes when I get to work, and it'd be nice to have something more comfortable to wear to work since I have a long ride. Also, the street style shoes are a little cheaper, which is good for now because I haven't gotten my promotion yet(barely making enough to pay my bills). I got a little cash for my B-day yesterday so I'll be using that $100 to help out.

So the street boots I'm looking at are the:

Sidi Scorpion
http://www.newenough.com/sidi_scorpion_boots_page.htm

Oxtar Jupiter
http://www.newenough.com/oxtar_jupiter_goretex_boots_page.htm

Joe Rocket Atomic shoe
http://www.newenough.com/joe_rocket_atomic_shoe_page.htm

For race boots I'm looking at anything at/under $200 like:

Sidi Strada Evo Air
http://www.newenough.com/sidi_strada_evo_air_boots_page.htm

Sidi B-One
http://www.newenough.com/sidi_b_one_boots_page.htm

Oxtar TCS Evo Ti(a little over $200)
http://www.newenough.com/oxtar_tcs_evo_ti_boots_page.htm

Oxtar TCS Sport
http://www.newenough.com/oxtar_tcs_sport_boots_page.htm

So what do you guys recommend? I'm thinking if I get the Oxtar Jupiter's they would be comfy for everyday use, then later I'll get the Sidi Strada Evo Air's when I start doing track days.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Outta those 3 I think the jupiters look the best. Otherwise I'd get the race boots and just wear them.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I have alpinestars gps-3 boots which are very comfortable to walk in and provide better shin and ankle support than a non-race style boot. If I were you I would just skip the low top boots and go for the sidi's or oxtar and wear them. race boots are only uncomfortable to walk in when you get to the more serious offerings like the vertigo corsa and alpinestars supertechs. these are designed not to flex when you crash, which is good on the bike but conflicts with the needs of walking. I think the sidi b-1's and vertabrae 2's are a good compromise between the two.

after riding with a proper boot with ankle protection I hate riding in a low top work boot.

·
Registered
471 Posts
check out some of the pics i posted in THIS thread of my SIDI verterbra 2 airs.. Although i dont think id enjoy walking around in them at work all day....

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I'm going with the race boots and I'll leave a pair of shoes at work, I'd rather be safe. Ok, now I have to choose between the following, Sidi Vertabra 2(on sale for $195), Sidi Strada Evo Air, and the Oxtar TCS Sports. They're all right at $200. I need a 47 or 48 I think, since I wear a 12 or 13, depending on the brand. Any opinions on which to go with? I like the Strada Air's because they're nicely vented, but I'll be wearing these year round and am afraid they'll be too cold in the winter. How hot do the regular Vertebra 2's get? If they're not that bad, I'll stick with those.

Opinions, bring 'em on!

·
old member
13,079 Posts
I can't comment on the specific models you're now looking at, but agree that proper boots that come up to mid-calf are MUCH better than "low-tops". Imagine how much better your foot will feel if it ever gets caught between the bike and the road in a slide. This can happen just as easily while commuting as at the track.

You don't need a boot with replacable sliders etc. Those are really for track use. What you need is some good protection around the ankle. Most boot vents have the ability to be closed when it's colder although I can't imagine it ever getting too cold in FL. :lol

If you're going to ride in the rain, make sure that they're waterproof as well. There's no substitute for going into a shop to look at and try the boots on. Sizing varies a lot between manufacturers so knowing your size will be helpful before ordering to avoid returns. You may even be able to get a shop to come close to internet pricing and give a local merchant some business for helping you find the right boot.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My commute to work is about 45 minutes by interstate so I wear my leathers + racing boot and just have extra clothes in my backpack.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I've changed the one I'm looking at a little. It's basically between the Oxtar TCS Sport and the Sidi B-One. I realised that the Sidi Vertebra 2 on sale isn't in my size(well, not in the color I want). Also, I decided against the Strada Evo Air just because it has alot of vents that don't close, and in the winter, even though it doesn't get that cold, I don't want my feet freezing.

So if I can get some comments mostly on the Oxtar's since I've seen plenty of comments on the Sidi's, though not on the B-one specifically. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
GreenZED said:
I have alpinestars gps-3 boots which are very comfortable to walk in and provide better shin and ankle support than a non-race style boot.

I also have the A* GPS-3. They are very comfortable once broken in. They provide great protection, and dont look to crazy to wear as normal shoes.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I ride to work wearing Sidi B-one, then change into shoes I keep at work.
The BOne is comfy enough to wear for extended periods of time.
Too bad you want a particular color, as newenough has the Vertibra2 in some colors for $200, a great deal on a great boot!

Also, I wear the same size shoes, 12 in some, 13 in others. The Sidi 47 fit perfectly.

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
Camride said:
Ok, I've changed the one I'm looking at a little. It's basically between the Oxtar TCS Sport and the Sidi B-One. I realised that the Sidi Vertebra 2 on sale isn't in my size(well, not in the color I want). Also, I decided against the Strada Evo Air just because it has alot of vents that don't close, and in the winter, even though it doesn't get that cold, I don't want my feet freezing.

So if I can get some comments mostly on the Oxtar's since I've seen plenty of comments on the Sidi's, though not on the B-one specifically. Thanks guys!

The Oxtars as CE approved, have an ankle support/torsion control brace, and they are $10 bucks less at newenough.com.

Here's more on the Oxtars and the CE requirements:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-boots/oxtar/

prEN 13634:2002 - Protective Footwear for Professional Motorcycle Riders – Requirements and Test Methods

"Based on the wealth of available industrial footwear standards to draw from, prEN 13634:2002 provides an adaptation suitable to the demands motorcyclists place on their footwear. There is a minimum height requirement of 160 mm, measured inside the boot from the footbed up the rear of the boot to its topmost edge.

The strength of the bond between the sole and the upper is tested, the thickness and cleat height (depth of “tread”) of the sole must both be above prescribed mimima and its resistance to abrasion is tested. The sole is also required to demonstrate a minimum specified level of inherent rigidity – too soft a sole could collapse in an accident and increase the risk of severe foot injuries, which a more rigid sole might help to prevent.

The uppers of the footwear are subjected to the impact abrasion test described in prEN 13595 Part 2, although the impact cut test follows a different method to that used for garments. The water absorption and desorption characteristics of the material worn closest to the wearer is also assessed.

Optional requirements include testing of impact protection which may be fitted to the ankle and shin, water resistance and fuel oil resistance of the outsole."

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anymore opinions? I think I'm going to go ahead and order a set today. It looks like unless someone can convince me otherwise, I'm going to get the Oxtar TCS Sport. They look like the best compromise of safety, comfort and good looks with a decent price. I had also given thought to the A* S-MX3, but it just didn't seem to have as many safety features as the TCS(plus the TCS looks better IMO). And since the A* is about $20 more, the TCS wins. The Sidi B-one also just didn't seem to have as many safety features, and the Vertabra 2 wasn't in my size/color(which sucks since it was on sale, though the V2 isn't vented at all, which I didn't like so much, at least the S-MX3 and TCS are vented).

So do you guys think this is a good choice? The Oxtar TCS Sport in black/silver. I hope I'm making the right choice as I've never bought boots before and I don't want to regret this for any reason. If anyone has had problems with Oxtar, this would be a good time to tell me!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Oxtar makes good boots! I can't say anything about the TCS specifically, but I own the Oxtar Matrix boots, and while they're not the prettiest boots around, they're comfortable to spend all day in either sitting in class or walking around, and they're COMPLETELY waterproof--I have yet to even get wet toes while riding around in massive downpours. I love 'em, and they're a LOT cheaper than a pair of Sidis.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, that's the thing, the Sidi Vertebra 2's are closeout and the same price as the Oxtar TCS Sport. The 2 boots look like the same basic design, the only advantage I can see is the TCS has the torsion support system that keeps your foot from bending too far backwards in an accident. Other than that they look pretty similar. I called newenough and they said they're getting more of the Vertebra 2's in on tuesday, so they'll have my color/size in stock. So yeah, I have no clue which one to get. Help me out guys!

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
The CE approval is the right choice. The boots have basically the identical protective features, but one is proven to meet specific guidelines for performance, the other just looks the part. That's not to say the Sidi;s aren't worn by plenty, or that they aren't thought to be great boots by many on or off the track. It's to say that one has taken the step to prove the abrasion resistance of the leather and sole, the cut resistance of the leather, the rigidity of the sole, and the impact asborption of the "armor". It's a no-brainer as far as I see it when one ocmpnay goes out of there way to show results like that. Unless the Oxtar's don't fit well, they appear to be the better choice. From what I hear, the Oxtars are said to be slightly wider than the Sidis by most.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I own 2 pair of boots.. I'll use any of them depending on the mood...

My favs are: Oxtar Explorer - Gore-Tex, immune to severe rain.. confortable and discreet!

The others are army boots - Mutherhorn - Gore-Tex also(obviously), less discreet.. hot and heavy... confortable as hell and great for long journeys.. specially when driving in snow!

I'll try and get a picture of both later on.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, after looking at both Sidi's and Oxtar's website's, the decision was easy, Oxtar. They may be a newer company, but it is very obvious that they have put alot of R&D and good technology into their boots. The TCS system itself is one of the big reasons I bought the TCS Sport(just put in my order to newenough), but there are plenty of other reasons. They have obviously put alot of hard work into creating a technically superior boot. I can't say that they're better than Sidi's in real life as I've never worn a pair, but on paper they're better than anything in the sub $200 range.

So, the TCS's should be here in a week or so, you guys will get a full write up review as soon as I get them and get a few miles logged in on them. Thanks to everyone for your opinions! I will get pics of the boot as soon as it's here. Oh yeah, and I oredered a 47 after trying on a pair of A*'s at a local bike shop. The 47's seem to be just about perfect, as I wear a 12 or 13 depending on the brand. Hopefully the Oxtar's are close to the same, I hate having to send stuff back.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I'm getting the oxtar titanium tcs or the sidi vertigo as my next boot. leaning toward the oxtar.... sparking toe sliders would be interesting

·
Registered
169 Posts
Camride said:
Hopefully the Oxtar's are close to the same, I hate having to send stuff back.
If I'm not mistaken, they are very receptive to exchange your boots.. if they don't fit.. or if somehow are defective(from factory).

Not exactly the boot I'd call discreet, but great boots!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
At this point I don't really care about discreet, since I'll just leave a pair of shoes at work to change into. Originally I was trying to find a pair that I could wear all day at work, but I'd be compromising severely in protection just for comfort. I'd rather have a real set of boots and change into a pair of shoes at work, then risk having an accident in a pair of "comfy" street shoes and break my ankle. The TCS should be fine enough to walk into the grocery store or somewhere for a short stop, I just won't want to wear them all day at work. Who knows, maybe they will be that comfortable!

Oh yeah, and I had heard that newenough was really good about exchanging stuff if it doesn't fit, so I'm not worried about that, I just don't want to get the boots then have to send them back. I'll be pretty excited when they get here, I won't want to let them go even if they don't fit!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts