Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine bought a new 07 R6 and I'm making her a FE. So I start it to move it in the yard and when I did, it smoked on startup. Not a little but a lot. Blue smoke so I know it was burning oil. The bike only has 1450 miles on it and I told her that she should have taken it in for the first service at 600 but she hasn't yet. I also know that she has been running it like it's a broke in bike already. Aka - beating the snot out of it trying to keep up with everyone else in our local group. Did she really damage it as bad as I think that she did?

Khyren

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
i doubt it. I break them in the way I am going to ride it. Hard, hot and fast.

perhaps there is some other issue going in.

On a side note, you realize you are about to get about 15 different replies with about 15 different answers right?

·
the joke is in your hand
8,588 Posts
are you sure the smoking isn't just normal condensation burn off?
any time I've seen a bike blow smoke out was one that was on it's side. and it usually stops after a few min.
I know guys with over 50K on a R6 and they don't burn oil.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I know about the lots of replies. I'm also sure that I know the difference between blue smoke that smells like burning oil and gas and regular condensation. I was thinking that maybe it was because I had it straight up in the back of my truck and not leaned on the kickstand. But there are so many people that use bike stands to keep their's vertical and off the floor.

Khyren

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
Khyren,
no need to get smart about it. We are throwing out thoughts and to be honest, myself and serpentracer are the only two which HAVE replied.

We can just not say anything if that will help you more.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,588 Posts
it's all good man I know people on the net can get crazy with replies and such. we just have to assume all the possibilities have been eliminated. I'm just trying to shoot you some ideas.
and furthermore, straight up is the best thing for a engine. as long as it's never been on it's side(laying on the ground) and running it's fine. someone could have over filled it in the first place and riding it hard might have sucked some oil into the air box and down in the engine. again, just speculation on my part.
did it quit smoking at some point?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, wasn't trying to come off as a smart ass. Just used to having to over explain things. But yes, it does quit smoking after about 30 seconds or so.

Khyren

·
the joke is in your hand
8,588 Posts
ask her if she put stabilizer in it. it's kind of oily. and too much of it can make some smoke. aske me how I know

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
so, my next question to you is, has she changed out her exhaust? As in gotten rid of the cat? You know, sometimes, until the cat is warmed up, it will blow smoke as well. And personally, I would much rather it blow blue than anything else if it is simply on start up.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
so, serpent, how do you know?:D

·
the joke is in your hand
8,588 Posts
I used too much once. it was a oh shit moment when I started it up, then I realized I probably put too much in. never happened again. now I READ the directions:eek:nfloor

·
Registered
2 Posts
Question

I know this is an old thread, but I need help... My 07 R6 fell over when it rained. Kickstand sunk in the ground. She laid there for a few hours. I was at work... What should I watch out for? Oil burning?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts