Sport Bikes banner

Storing your bike over the winter?

1K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  bluevfr 
#1 ·
I've read the thread on what to do if you're keeping it outside, but what about if it will be garaged for the winter? Should I still deflate the tires, run it for a few minutes every couple of days, etc? Are there any special methods to keeping it in top condition? Any suggestions are great. Where I'm at, we're starting to get the rainy, dreary weather that usually preceeds the cold. I'm afraid there won't be too many more riding days. This is also, where I live, the second year in recorded history where we haven't had a 90 degree day so I'm expecting a particulary cold winter. Thanks for any help.

#3 ·
Well everyone will tell you something. I would disconnect the battery, and take it completly out of the bike, and maybe store it somewhere warmer than a cold garage through winter. I would put stabilizer in the gas tank, and try and start it every few weeks, run it up to 130 degrees and you should be good. But like I said, you have 20 more suggestions on what to do and what not to do, try calling your local dealership too.

#4 ·
if you put stabil in the tank, i don't think you need/should run it that much. also, i think that if you take out the battery, starting it every couple days is going to take a while. and i never heard to deflate the tires... it shouldn't sit on the rim. i would put some cardboard under the tire to prevent flat spots. my bike sat outside all winter with the battery in it and nothing under the tire. and it lived. i had to charge the battery, but thats it. also, i would cover it, don't want the bike to get dirty :)

#5 ·
If you store the bike, do not run it periodically. Fill it and put gas stabilizer in it run to circulate the stabili zerand leave the bike alone. Put the battery on a maintence charger too. Briefly running the bike results in residue building up in the carbs because the short runs don't flush out the gunk that settles in the floats.

#6 ·
First, I can't believe we're talking about this in August. I'm in Pennsylvania and I will probably be riding until late November and maybe even early December; I'm sure you could ride that long in KY as well.

But, since you asked, this is what I did with my old F2 last winter and will be doing with my F4i this winter:
- fill gas tank, add fuel stabilizer
- take out battery and put on battery tender
- put the bike on front and rear stands (with the F2, I only had the rear so I inflated the front tire to 42psi - it's so you don't get a flat spot on the tire from sitting; probably not necessary but it gives me peace of mind) :)
- oil change

I think that's it. I'm sure people with more experience can add their thoughts as well.

#7 ·
yeah, there's still some time left to ride this year....but most days are going to be rainy and I'll be out of town about 80% of the time over the next couple of months. Trust me, it's not getting parked yet. I just want to be prepared. I'm working on a tight budget right now, so anything extra I might need will have to be planned for ahead of time. Thanks to everyone who gave tips

#8 ·
I've never done anything special to any of my bikes over the winters, but then, they all get ridden at least once every two or three weeks irregardless of the weather. If you don't run a bike, you run the risk of drying out a gasket. If you don't run a bike long enough, you run the risk of fouling something out or gunking something up as mentioned by Benny. If you're not going to go out into the streets, at least let it get good and warm, wind it up a few times, work the clutch in and out, work the brakes, etc. Stabil in the fuel is a good idea even if you start it up every few weeks. Battery tenders are good to use and allow you to keep the battery in the bike; kind of a hassle to take them out only to put them back in long enough to run the thing for 1/2-hour.

#11 ·
here's my plan for this winter which is different from anything i've done in the past. i'm trying to get away from Stabil. the bike is stored in my garage.

hook up battery tender Jr.

start bike once every one to two weeks and let it run for a bit...ride around if i can.

change oil at start of season.

#14 ·
This is what I do..

Fill the gas tank up, no stabilisers added
Hook up the OptimateIII battery tender to the battery (I don't remove the battery from the bike)
Some extra psi's of air in the front tire (the back tire don't need it because the centerstand keeps it in the air)
Cover exhaust
Rotate front tire every 2 weeks or so
NEVER start the engine unless I'm going for a ride

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.