Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
I switched the front blinkers on my 03 954 to leds, now the blinker pace is like twice as fast. I'm guessing that the leds have a different resistance than the stock lights.

Now here is the question, I'm assuming that I could put a radio shack bought resistor(of soon to be determined resistance) in sereies to raise the resistance or one in paralell to lower the resistance. Before I go and get my OHM meter can anyone tell me if they have had sucess with this approach. Thanks.

I hate the idea of buying a prebuilt load equalizer(10cent resistor in a box sold for twenty five dollars)

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
a resistor should work fine, like you said, bust out the multimeter and get what you need.

·
Registered
456 Posts
when you find out post up. i got the same problem on my 1krr

·
Registered
103 Posts
In theory it'll work, but do your calculations before you buy the resistors.

For instance, my lights take 25watts, meaning about 2 amps at 12 volts. It'll be hard to find a resistor that can handle 2 amps.

Also, your lights will be dimmer as a result because the resistor will eat voltage.

·
Registered
456 Posts
my Leds are dim to begin with. fucking LP junk

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
You need to decrease the resistance the flasher sees. In other words Parallel resitance. Try around 2-3 ohms or so wired in parallel across the blinker wires. Use at the very least 10 watt power resistors, 20 watt would be better. Rad Shack sells them so do most electronics parts suppliers....

Btw most resistors are rated for wattage not amperage. They have to be able to dissipate the heat thats generated by the current flow thru them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts