Sport Bikes banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the stock tire last me a little over 6,000 miles!

Couple quick questions, what was that tire that has the harder compound in the center, and softer stuff on the sides? I have a huge flat spot in the center of my tire, and the sides have plenty of life left. I use it mostly to commute

My front tire has about 1/2 life left. Should I replace the tires together, or just do the back, or does it not really matter? Keep in mind I'll probably get a different rear tire, so should I keep them matched?

Thanks,
Will

·
Registered
726 Posts
Michelin Pilot Road 2ct

Yes I would match the front with the rear tire at the least.

Some people will run two rears to one front but again I would match the rubber make and type.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What mileage can I expect from the Michelin Pilot Road 2ct?

·
Keyser Söze
1,360 Posts
you could also check out the conti road attacks. i'm on my 2nd rear tire and love them. i only got about 3000-3500 miles on my stock dunflops. the road attacks are like day and night. i do ride my bike year round going to and. i use to get a flat spot from just riding in a stright line, but now i try to find a more twisty home and dont seem to see the flat spot showing.

the sad thing is that with any tire you are going to see a flat spot if you are putting alot of time on the highways going in a straight line. you can go with a harder tire, but you will loose some grip that you would get with a softer tire. the 2CT tires are really good for this cause they have the harder middle and the softer edgr, but you are still going to get a flat spot sooner or later. i read that with the conti road attacks should get between 6000 to 7000 miles on the rear. for the price you really can't beat that at all. the 2CT's are a little more costly and if they are going to give you the same milage then why waste the money.

i went threw the same thing you are going threw a year ago and was going to go with a double compound tire and just felt that they are a waste of money. at the time i had a flat spot on my dunflop that might have been able to balance the bike on. i will say that my first conti was starting to get a little bit of a flat spot, but nothing that a little twisty riding woudn't fix.

well i hope this helps even if i kind of rant a little to much.
just remember that tire are very important and to ride safe.

·
Registered
726 Posts
My Friends Liter bike that puts out 150hp and over 70ft lbs of torque at the rear wheel and is running the PR2ct. His rear tire at the current rate of wear, will get 5 to 5.5k out of the tire, wearing evenly let me add. The ZZR makes 96hp and 46ft lbs ( I believe) of torque so these numbers for comparison might give you a better idea of what you will get from these tires. Factor in the cost of a tire change with your decision because you may have 2 tire changes to 1 with what brand you run, this will run up your overall cost as well.

Yes its not a easy decision but let me add I am a bike tire installer so my opinions are based off what I am seeing come through my shop.

The PR2ct are currently off the literbike and residing in my shop as we did a trackday this past weekend at Barber with STT. He had me spoon on PP2ct for the trackday. Let me add PR2ct are NOT track tires. We ran these on my girls SV and in T5 the frontend was totally lost and pushed back up off a knee. Dont' run PR2ct on the track they are without a doubt a road tire!

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
you could also check out the conti road attacks. i'm on my 2nd rear tire and love them. i only got about 3000-3500 miles on my stock dunflops. the road attacks are like day and night. i do ride my bike year round going to and. i use to get a flat spot from just riding in a stright line, but now i try to find a more twisty home and dont seem to see the flat spot showing.

the sad thing is that with any tire you are going to see a flat spot if you are putting alot of time on the highways going in a straight line. you can go with a harder tire, but you will loose some grip that you would get with a softer tire. the 2CT tires are really good for this cause they have the harder middle and the softer edgr, but you are still going to get a flat spot sooner or later. i read that with the conti road attacks should get between 6000 to 7000 miles on the rear. for the price you really can't beat that at all. the 2CT's are a little more costly and if they are going to give you the same milage then why waste the money.

i went threw the same thing you are going threw a year ago and was going to go with a double compound tire and just felt that they are a waste of money. at the time i had a flat spot on my dunflop that might have been able to balance the bike on. i will say that my first conti was starting to get a little bit of a flat spot, but nothing that a little twisty riding woudn't fix.

well i hope this helps even if i kind of rant a little to much.
just remember that tire are very important and to ride safe.
+1 on the Conti Road Attacks. You can go with a softer Sport Attack on the front if you like to ride aggressively and want more performance.

·
Finally got that ticket
744 Posts
If you're just commuting and not tearing up the track or twisties, does it really matter if you match the tire rubber? I think that's overkill.

Got a screw in my stock rear around 6000 miles, so I've never seen how long it will last. I have about 12,000 on the front and it's still got some life left, will probably make it another 3-4000. I ride a lot of highway/city just due to my location and riding to my brothers place, but I do ride twisties also.

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
If you're just commuting and not tearing up the track or twisties, does it really matter if you match the tire rubber? I think that's overkill.

Got a screw in my stock rear around 6000 miles, so I've never seen how long it will last. I have about 12,000 on the front and it's still got some life left, will probably make it another 3-4000. I ride a lot of highway/city just due to my location and riding to my brothers place, but I do ride twisties also.
Everything that I have ever heard or read about motorcycle tires has been that tires should be from at least from the same manufacturer. But to each his own I guess. I run tires in sets, that's just my personal preference.

12K on the stock tire? I wish, wore out the stock D207's after only 3600 short miles. All I do is ride curvy roads at a aggressive pace. I will be installing the four set of tires on my 06 ZZR some time in February to prepare for the 2009 riding season. The two sets of Michelin's have typically lasted about 5.5K each. Last seasons set was showing the cords by October.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All very good information! Thanks a lot

Its not that I only commute, because I do get out there and ride for fun quite a bit. I just commute a lot. You guys might have me leaning towards the conti because of the price. (hey, I'm a college student)

I do think I'm going to go ahead and match rubber though. It just seems like a good idea, as far as performance and safety goes.

·
Keyser Söze
1,360 Posts
conti's are a little cheaper, but they are very good tires. trust me i have only had them slip once and that was leaving work on a cold night at a pretty good lean and getting on it. i had some trouble with the stock tire stepping out on me and slipping in quick corners. i have no checken stips on my conti's. they really have made me a better ridder for sure. i trust my conti's from edge to edge.

i think this is the place i got my last set from. (this is the site that i got my last tire from)

https://www.ridedirect.com/showProduct.php?id=440&cat_id=42
i will double check i think my rear was only 130 bucks shipped last time i bought one

here's a link of a conti road attack review
.: Continental Road Attack | Review | Canyon Chasers Motorcycle Sport Touring :.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts