Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to do some suspension adjustments to my bike, get it set a little on the stiff side as I carry passengers occasionally. It's a stock suspension F4i, and I weigh about 245lbs. I carry lightweights around only usually (100-115), so the bike is still well under its max load, but it feels a little soft. Should I just stiffen the rear shock? Adjust preload? Anyone got a link to a site giving tips.

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
Well under its max load? How much is that bike rated for? 360lbs on a sportbike is a lot for a stock suspension to handle especially if you are doing any spirited riding.

I'm 205 and the wife is 130. We are pushing my bike's suspension to its limits, especially the rear. I have had heavier ladies (150lbs) on back and could definetely tell the suspension wasn't up for it.

You should adjust the preload, probably to max. Then adjust the rebound and compression dampening to with in 2-3 clicks of max and then try it out.

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought I read the F4i was good for around 385. With me and a passenger, people say you can't really see a definate sag on the suspension. Not spirited riding, just backroads or in town type riding.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
another thing to adjust would be tire pressure. even a 100 lb female is putting a lot of weight on that back tire. if you dont up the pressure to compensate for additional load you can cup the rear over time.

just dont tell your girl that she's an "additional load". :slaugh

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's actually been a couple different girls lately :D.

Actually gave my buddy's little brother's girl a ride the other night. While she was putting my gear on (helmet and jacket, I had on gloves), he walked over and said, "Get her going 40-50mph, and stand it up" and then laughed. I was like "I'm not leaving the neighborhood, I don't have a helmet on." Was funny none the less to see expression on her face when I brought her back and the big ass grin.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Truck said:
I'd like to do some suspension adjustments to my bike, get it set a little on the stiff side as I carry passengers occasionally. It's a stock suspension F4i, and I weigh about 245lbs. I carry lightweights around only usually (100-115), so the bike is still well under its max load, but it feels a little soft. Should I just stiffen the rear shock? Adjust preload? Anyone got a link to a site giving tips.

This was posted a few days ago:

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/suspension/

·
Registered
106 Posts
i dont way nearly as much as u but when i take a passenger i always turn my rear suspension about 2 turns harder.try maxing it out.if that doesnt feel right you may have 2 go with a stiffer spring.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
At 245 your stock suspension is waaaaaaay off as it is. Basically you want more of everything. Preload, compression, rebound. It'll never work right, but you can probably get it to work a bit better. The SR link above should give you a decent grasp of the basic concepts if you're willing to read it all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts