Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to put a power commander in my bike. other bikers have recommended getting a steering damper before i do that. is that the best way to go, steering damper then PC?

·
Registered
676 Posts
There is absolutely no reason you'd ever need a steering damper on an FZ6. It's frame geometry, wheelbase, general bike setup is not condusive to tank slappers.

Go for the Power Commander, forget about the damper.

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
MrVvrroomm said:
There is absolutely no reason you'd ever need a steering damper on an FZ6. It's frame geometry, wheelbase, general bike setup is not condusive to tank slappers.

Go for the Power Commander, forget about the damper.
1+ or do some suspension work. I'd opt for suspension and brakes before a PC unless you have aftermarket cans and have issues.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I'd definitely upgrade the suspension before any other performance mods. It's the most bang for the buck, though it won't help the bike look or sound any faster. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
GT, dont be fooled into believing that an FZ6 wont/cant tank slap you. Its happened to me twice, only mildish ones though. Just a poor road surface at the time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
must agree with tunupkid, my 05fizzer black naked started a mild tank slap after snapping the throttle shut from 118mph ( blind twat on the M25 ) Dont be fooled into thinking she wont do it

·
Registered
676 Posts
Head shake and a full blown tank slapper are two completely different things. There's not bike made that won't wobble a bit when the suspension is upset, either by deceleration or unloading the front end.

If you ever have a full-blown tankslapper you'll know it instantly. Most don't walk away from them. I'm sticking to what I said, save your money for a steering damper on the FZ6 and, as stated above, spend it on suspension or fuel management.

The bars wobbling for several 100th's of a second is NOT a tankslapper.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
+10 on suspension first rather than a damper. What good is a steering damper if your suspension is not optimized?

·
Registered
676 Posts
segue00 said:
+10 on suspension first rather than a damper. What good is a steering damper if your suspension is not optimized?
EXCELLENT point!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alright, i was talking to a GSXR1000 guy and he told me to get a damper first, but now more people have said suspension. What brands do you recommend? I don't have a lot of money to spend. thanks

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
gtfazer6 said:
alright, i was talking to a GSXR1000 guy and he told me to get a damper first, but now more people have said suspension. What brands do you recommend? I don't have a lot of money to spend. thanks
Ah... and this is where it all begins...
Another falls prey to the MOD GOD's of FZ6 land :eek:nfloor

Think the best suspension mod you can do and that will give you the most bang for your buck is FAZR6's R6 fork swap...

I have yet to do this mod myself, but from what those who have done it say..

It is fantastic... Think it costs only a few hundred bucks if you get your parts off ebay...

BTW: The steering dampers I have seen for the FZ6 are about $400ish...
probably about the same cost to get the R6 forks and other stuff needed for the fork mod. Powercommander about $300ish..

Think there is a Sticky at the begining of the forums list on how to do the R6 fork mod.

·
Registered
676 Posts
gtfazer6 said:
Ok, here is what your list of priorities should be: Good gear, helmet, quality riding jacket, pants, boots, gloves, etc. Then take the money you would have spent on the exhaust and do a couple of track sessions. You don't need to have the latest/greatest, most exotic sport machine out there to do a track day. It's about learning, and then honing your newly learned skills.

The FZ6 fresh off the show floor is more than capable for YOU to do a track day. Then, after you do a couple of track sessions, YOU can decide if your bike needs suspension, brakes, slip-on, power commander, stickier rubber, damper, etc.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Before doing anything, add frame sliders. They're cheap insurance!

As others have said, a steering damper is just a waste of money. It's just plain not necessary.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I put on a pair of Motivation sliders. has anyone actually done the R6 suspension mod. does it really make that much of a difference?

·
Registered
291 Posts
gtfazer6 said:
I put on a pair of Motivation sliders. has anyone actually done the R6 suspension mod. does it really make that much of a difference?
i've done the mod. it makes the bike what it should have been from the factory (stopping, steering, etc). if you can pick up the parts for a decent price, i wouldn't hesitate.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
You know, thinking as that you just got the bike, why not just ride it for a bit and you can actually tell what needs to be done to suit your riding style and ability. Some, if not most of the riders here are running full stock and are quite happy with it. Be careful with what mods you do as it may be overkill or insufficient to your riding. As for being safe, it is your ability that counts most with this bike or any other vehicle. The bike will handle well if you know how to ride it well. For safe riding, you will never reach the maximum limit of this bike in its stock state without breaking the law or putting yourself and/or others in jeopardy.

+1 on the riding gear first before mods.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've already got the gear, I bought it all when i got the bike. Joe Rocket Alter Ego Jacket, Scorpion Exo700 Raider Blue, AlpineStars Gloves. I wear over the ankle steel-toe boots and I always wear jeans.
I know what i've got right now is a lot, but more power is a good thing. I've had my fazer for about a month and a half and its got just under 1000 miles on it. I ride whenever I can get the chance and I feel very comfortable with it, but not too comfortable.
I realize that I do have plenty power when I can do a wheelie with only throttle, no clutch. I guess I'll wait for the performance mods.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts