Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Steering Dampers

Has anyone considered getting a steering damper for their ride? Little off topic but opinions about aftermarket headlight bulbs as well, absolutely have to get rid of those stock bulbs. :hshot

*correction noted, thanks DreddR6*

·
Registered
109 Posts
redhawkphi said:
Has anyone considered getting a steering dampner for their ride? Little off topic but opinions about aftermarket headlight bulbs as well, absolutely have to get rid of those stock bulbs. :hshot
It is steering damper, not dampner. I have not ridden an FZ6 yet, can't wait. I have a scotts on my R6 and love it.

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
just waiting on a good GB

·
Registered
317 Posts
Why would you get a steering damper? Is there a need for one on this bike? I have never ridden a bike with a steering damper before... could someone describe their purpose?

-J

·
Registered
8 Posts
The damper exists to damp out the oscillations that cause headshake. For instance, if you're accelerating hard, the front wheel, skimming over the surface, will easily be knocked back and forth by surface imperfections. This can start to oscillate, turning into a tank-slapper. This usually results shortly thereafter in that awful plastic-and-metal scraping sound. The damper, one side attached to the bike, the other to the fork, damps this out, just as a shock absorbers (really a damper itself; the spring absorbs the shock) do for the suspension. The downside? More difficult to make tight, lowspeed turns.

·
Registered
109 Posts
FazeX said:
Why would you get a steering damper? Is there a need for one on this bike? I have never ridden a bike with a steering damper before... could someone describe their purpose?

-J
It depends on your style of riding. For your everyday tpye of commute it really isnt needed.

However, if your into canyon carving, twisty riding and track riding, it is def. a nice thing to have.

It's purpose to prevent headshake and tank slappers. For instance, one time coming out of a turn I gave it plenty of gas, my front tire came up 3-4 inches and landed before I had the bike/front straight which caused the bike to shake pretty good. After putting a damper on it, this never happened again.

People who like doing wheelies all the time also benefit from this. Those who also go tripple digits in straights a lot benefit. If the bike goes over some uneven pavement at high rate of speed it can cause headshake and a tank slapper which the dampers are designed to prevent.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Thanks, guys! Definitely cleared it up. I had pretty much the right idea, the specifics help though. :)

-J

·
Registered
39 Posts
Info on FZ6 dampers

Funny you should ask. I have been researching dampers for the FZ6 for the last couple days. It looks like the top 2 choices are the Scotts and the Matris. But, I haven't been able to verify that Scott has a mounting kit for the FZ6.
2 Brothers Racing is the US distrib. for Matris and they have the M3-Pro model available for our bike, but they are getting list price which is $438.98. I found only one other source (www.twisted-grip.com) selling it for $395, but that is the discounted price for their site members. They have a membership special going on - $15 annual membership. Kind of a strange setup.
The other choice is the Scotts damper which I think hardracing.com has the best price of $404 + s/h.
Both dampers are well made and get good reviews ... the Scotts seems to have some technical advantages, but it's really butt ugly compared to the Matris. Is one really needed and are the worth the $400+ clams? That I haven't decided.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that's what I'm contemplating.... would this bike, or myself for that matter, really benefit from a damper????

·
Registered
193 Posts
Bad news, I just spoke with Scotts, and the kit for the FZ6 does not exist, and they do not think they will have one as per mounting difficulties

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on your order, Cavi. I'll hold off on any decision until hearing your feedback. From what I've read, the Scott damper looks to be the most beneficial for street riding, plus has alot more adjustability. How about some details about your purchase? where and how much?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sorry Cavi, just missed your update. Well, that leaves only the Matris. If you go on the 2 Brothers Racing website, they actually have a pix of one mounted on the FZ6. I was pondering it last night to try and figure how they are mounting the cylinder. It looks like there might be a bracket coming off the front gas tank mount. It seems to fit on real nice with the steering yoke straight, but clearance could get really tight at lock to lock. It's hard to tell from a picture and I hate to drop $400+ to find there are clearance probs with the damper hitting the tank.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You the man Cavi. I'm real tempted to go ahead with an order for one also, but I guess I wait to see how yours works out. As long as it mounts ok and has adequate clearance, I think you'll be real happy with it. I haven't been able to find any negative feedback on the Matris dampers. I assume you ordered from 2 Brothers Racing? Give a post when you get it installed, ok?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts