Sport Bikes banner

Statistics of riders down from bike being too big?

• No one

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • 1 to 3 people

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • 4 to 6 people

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • 7 or more. I've been riding a long time! =)

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I don't have a bike yet, but this interests me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have just started riding & do not know anyone that has wrecked yet due to the size of their bike

Votes: 1 2.2%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Where's my bike???
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I posted something on the board about the statistics of starting on a larger bike vs starting on a smaller bike & someone called my bluff. What I am trying to accomplish here is a SBN statistic on that very topic. I would like to know how many of you know anyone that has had an accident on a bike because the bike was too big for them?
Post how long the person's' had been riding, & what you polled.

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
I would like to know also. If you claim an accident will you please also post pix of the bike and you, no one wrecks without taking pix. This way there is not "out of the ass" talking, facts only. I started (street riding) on a 1000cc when i was 17 for the record 0 accidents with damage 1 laydown due to conditions and driver pulling out on front of me when i was 23. Been riding street for 12 years.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Reckless01 said:
I would like to know also. If you claim an accident will you please also post pix of the bike and you, no one wrecks without taking pix. This way there is not "out of the ass" talking, facts only. I started (street riding) on a 1000cc when i was 17 for the record 0 accidents with damage 1 laydown due to conditions and driver pulling out on front of me when i was 23. Been riding street for 12 years.
Hmm, so you're saying big bikes are safe to start on?

http://www.intrepidsoftware.com/fallacy/hasty.php

·
Where's my bike???
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
BSR423 said:
So I posted something on the board about the statistics of starting on a larger bike vs starting on a smaller bike & someone called my bluff. What I am trying to accomplish here is a SBN statistic on that very topic. I would like to know how many of you know anyone that has had an accident on a bike because the bike was too big for them?
Post how long the person's' had been riding & the number polled.
Could a mod remove this post. I ment to click edit. Thanks.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
ecir said:
They did a study in the UK

http://www.trl.co.uk/static/dtlr/pdfs/TRL492.pdf

Interesting read
Thanks for the study. It is pretty inconclusive on the subject, but seems to disindicate the idea that wrecking is related to bike size. It offers no causal realationship between experience and bike size but finds a strong causal relationship with accidents and inexperience.

Its important to note, also that these are fatal accidents, a small subset of actual accidents.

More work still needs to be done.

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
I started on a 600cc Seca II. Fragged it twice in 2 years.. one wasnt my fault, but I couldve avoided the car if I had more experience.
My little brother started on a Katana 750. I think he laid it down at least 7 times or more in the 1.5 years he had it. But he wasnt the most responsible person.
My best friend in the Air Force started on a ZX6E, and fragged it in 7 months..
My wife started on a Ninja 250, never dropped it. Now rides a F4i, never dropped it, been riding a total of 5 years now without a drop.
My Best Friend now started on a 250, been riding for 6 years, never dropped a bike.
My wifes best friend started on a 250, been riding for 2 years, never dropped a bike.

I have never met a single person starting on a 600 cc or b***** that hasnt wadded their bike in the first year.

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
Punkwood2k said:
I have never met a single person starting on a 600 cc or b***** that hasnt wadded their bike in the first year.

I'm James how are you.....Well now you have met someone, and i'd be happy to introduce you to about another 10-15 people i directly know that started on 600+ cc bikes and have never had a crash

Also as a side note i dont know if this is relevant but maybe riding is like playing sports....some naturally just have it?? not being smart just saying i have heard that a time or 2. Same went with stunting...some of us had the balance and agility for it...others crashed alot

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Friend of mine, her boyfriend with no experience dropped her new 2005 R6 the day she took delivery. He wanted to go up and down the street with it. Ouch! Not too bad of an injury, just a few abrassions.

I've heard plenty more from online forums.

First season with my own machine. Less than 3,000 miles of experience.

·
Registered
548 Posts
The below is not related to your post Mike, so please don't take offence.

But I just want to know how some here can ever conclude someone with no experience crashes because the bike was "too big"?? Hence the no experience part, I would assume it's the rider, not the bike. That's like saying you ride a bike without falling off it ever. I just don't get how you want to qualify these answers you will recieve---they are all just OPINIONS.

Good luck with the poll though, we will see the opinions on the board at least.

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
Reckless01 said:
I'm James how are you.....Well now you have met someone, and i'd be happy to introduce you to about another 10-15 people i directly know that started on 600+ cc bikes and have never had a crash
Hi James!

Anyways, I think that b***** bikes just have too much power. That much power is tempting to play around with, and without experience, that invincibility feeling gets crushed pretty quick... Some people can get on them fine, and ride good from the beginning.. But I think people should swallow their pride, start small, insted of being "cool" on the latest and greatest 600 cc.
some can do it... I would just always advise not to take that chance.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Almighty Jason said:
The below is not related to your post Mike, so please don't take offence.

But I just want to know how some here can ever conclude someone with no experience crashes because the bike was "too big"?? Hence the no experience part, I would assume it's the rider, not the bike. That's like saying you ride a bike without falling off it ever. I just don't get how you want to qualify these answers you will recieve---they are all just OPINIONS.

Good luck with the poll though, we will see the opinions on the board at least.
I hear ya. Who knows, my little story could have had him on a Ninja 250 and he still crashed it. Could have been a Huffy for all I know. Point being is that he was definately on a bike that he wasn't qualified to ride.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
how do you determine rider error vs bike not helping making the sit. better.

ex:

rider gives it to much gas, loops it. rider fault right? well, alot harder to loop a ninja 250 then an R6..........yup rider error, but powerful bike contributed to accident. prolly avoidable w/ lesser bike.......

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
The point is exactly that. Rider error is cut down substantially with a smaller bike. The brakes are alot less touchy on a 250. The roll on power of a 250 is much more controllable. The weight of a 250 is easy to deal with for someone that's not used to moving a bike that weighs 350lbs around. The point is some people do OK on a 600 because they have a slight natural ability to do so. But, my guess is most would be better off starting with something small to get the hang of it. Buy a 250 for a year and resale it for crying out loud.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
Almighty Jason said:
who loops an R6??
how about, which is easier to loop, a ninja 250 or R6? more suitable ?

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
It really depends on what defines size.

It is well documented that more Corvettes end-up in rollover accidents than oany other vehicle in the US. This tells us a couple of things, speed gets you deeper in to physics, and the drivers of those vehicles likely exploit that abilty.

Experience may or may not be a factor in those equations, but the use of power is definitely involved.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Looping R6's and rolling over Corvettes. Weird stuff. I have seen a mini van and a couple of SUVs rolled over. Anything's possible.

I think this is the most commonly dredged up worthless post except maybe for what type of oil is best for my bike. Motorcycles are dangerous ride carefully, wear gear, start small.

·
Registered
59 Posts
A rookie rider on a 600 could wreck, a rookie rider on a 1000 could wreck, and a rookie on a moped could wreck. I could blame the bike but I think the rookie that drove around some cones to get his CAR license and is cruising around on a temp. motorcycle permit is probably more to blame, ya think??? I started on a 1200 Bandit w/ mods and if anythink learning on a b***** bike made me stay more focused while riding. BTW my uncle's Harley weighs about 800 lbs. and is as easy to ride as my 636. Don't tell me I'm one in a million to make it through the learning stages safely, I'm just a dude with a little common sence.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts