Sport Bikes banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if State Farm insures bikes based on the displacement? The reason I ask is that I own a ZZR600, and insired it with State Farm. They had the best rate and I have been happy with the coverage so far. A little over a year later, I bought a KLR650. For those of you unfamiliar with this bike, it is a dual sport, single piston 'thumper' engine that makes about 1/3 the HP of my ZZR. It is an 06, and my ZZR is an 07. For the same coverage rates, they wanted a larger premium for the KLR. Top speed on the KLR is around 100, higher on the ZZR.

So what gives? An older dual sport, which cost less than the ZZR did, is slower, not sport-oriented and they want more money to insure it. Ultimately I went with liability+comprehensive instead of full coverage.

If they are basing prices strictly on displacement, that could come in handy if I stepped up to a more race oriented 600 :D

·
old member
13,079 Posts
I believe State Farm does base their bike rates primarily on displacement. Is the KLR a 650cc or a 64Xcc? If they looked it up, then they probably got the official displacement. If you told them it was a 650, then you might get a lower rate if it's actually under 650cc.

My sv1000 was only slightly more than my sv650 though. The 650 was 5 years old and the 1000 (actually a 996cc bike) was new.

When in doubt, call your agent. They'll tell you the straight story as well as maybe how to reduce your premium.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I don't think they base premiums on displacement. They run the company on stats, so something else produced the differential. Is that a dual sport? If so, they have the stats showing that they lose on duals, so jack the premiums.

·
Banned
911 Posts
I was told that their rates, to an extent, are based on engine size. I remember the insurance guy at my dealership saying that State Farm would give the same rate on a 250cc scooter as a Ninja 250.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I think it's based on displacement, too. My Concours 14 is more to insure than my Repsol.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Yes, unlike other insurer's, State Farm rates are based on displacement. That's why a 1k SS would be the same $ insure as a 1k cruiser, all other variables constant. It's also why so many SS riders to to get insurance from SF, vs 3-4x as much from Regressive, Gecko, etc.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
when I started my premium with them back in 05' I asked if they covered sportbikes -as some wont- and they said they did, as they go by displacement

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
my 650R is $21 a month with the Farm. Wonder if double the displacement = double the rates. In a couple of years I'm thinking about the big daddy ninja ZX-14...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts