Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
rectal rooter
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive read all the articles on here and elsewhere, but when it comes cdown to it, everyone is always on I4's. i have gone out and done some wheelies, just first gear power wheelies, but i hit the rev limiter so fast that i cant keep them up at all (roll up to about 5 grand, and chop.). havent been able to power them up in 2nd gear, though im thinking that i just need to grow some balls and grab more throttle. im not really a stunt rider nor do i wanna be one, though i would like to pull of a wheelie here and there for shits and giggles. anyone here stunt a vtwin that can give me some pointers?

·
i ride sideways
1,525 Posts
id hate to hear bout that mille wadded up, so take it easy at first.

just practice more, you should be able to get it up in 2nd, clutch or bounce. either way you'll be lower in the rev range than I4's. just gotta practice man.

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
I had a v-twin '97 TL1000S. That thing was great for lower speed power wheelies. I would just cut the throttle, whak it open to get it to come up, then I still had plenty of revs to play with. It definately was a little touchy with the throttle respose like that, but for first gear power wheelies, it was a monster. I did have a +3 sprocket in the back, but even stock gearing was nice.

It sounds like if you're hitting the rev limiter really quick that you aren't getting the front wheel very high and just powering through the rev range with the front wheel halfway in the air. If you get that front end a little higher, you won't have to be on the gas so hard and thus not be running through the rev range so fast. I think the goal should be (at least it was for me) is to chop the throttle hard and get that front tire WAY up there so that you are either using very little throttle to keep the wheel up or maybe even gently rolling on and off the throttle to balance the bike. It feels insane when you first get the wheel that high, at that slow of speed, but then after a while it become more and more comfortable.

Just remember, once you do your chop and get the front tire nice and high, then you have to be nice and smooth with you throttle input. If your choppy with the gas, then your chances of looping the bike go up quite a bit. Nice and smooth, that's what you're after.

For second gear, it should still come up with just the throttle, but you will need to be a little higher in the rev range to make full use of that torque. If that doesn't work a good tug on the bars or bounce should help bring it off the ground. Second gear won't be as touchy as first gear, but the speeds will obviousely be faster. Just always try to remember to cover the rear brake. I'd really hate to hear of that Mille getting wadded up. Good luck and just practice.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I have a 03 VFR...basically I am still a wheelie novice...although I can bring it up without problem in first...almost always a power wheelie...I am having a bitch of a time bringing it up in second...doesn't want to come...drop the clutch...crackin it...nothin seems to work...any suggestions?? also consider that this is a 800 with the VTEC

·
Registered
29 Posts
kranok said:
ive read all the articles on here and elsewhere, but when it comes cdown to it, everyone is always on I4's. i have gone out and done some wheelies, just first gear power wheelies, but i hit the rev limiter so fast that i cant keep them up at all (roll up to about 5 grand, and chop.). havent been able to power them up in 2nd gear, though im thinking that i just need to grow some balls and grab more throttle. im not really a stunt rider nor do i wanna be one, though i would like to pull of a wheelie here and there for shits and giggles. anyone here stunt a vtwin that can give me some pointers?
Practice, practice, practice. I ride a TL1000s and a 929 and there is not any significant difference in the way the wheelie is done from one to the other. You still have to learn how to smoothly bring it up fast and "set" it at the balance point. Biggest tip I can give over a message board is to be smooth, if you are chopy on the throttle, back off a little. Concentate on being smooth and then slowly try to get higher each time, especialy right as you clutch it up. The faster you can get it up the more rpm you will have to run the wheelie out. Next best thing I can say, find someone to ride with that is good. There is no better way to learn than from someone that knows what they are doing, someone that is there whatching you and explaining things.

Good Luck and Be safe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts