Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, thanks for all your help so far. my dad has an old, circa 1980s bike, that has been sitting for about 20 years or so, and now he wants to try to get it started and try to sell it. I was just wondering what some general thoughts were on what it would need. I figured new battery, drain and change the gas if not already done, new plugs, new air filter, clean the carbs. anything else that would be needed to get this to fire up or do you think its a lost cause
thanks
Jim

·
Registered
671 Posts
its never a lost cause, just depends on how much you'd want to invest in it... a 1980's cira probably won't be worth getting your money back in the cost of bringing her back to life.

if you or your father consider it a mode of transportation or hobby then get ready and dive in.

you're on your right few steps in getting her started. more than likely her carbs will need a rebuild. that in itself will bring her back to life. But if you plan on seeing if she'll even turn over make sure you have a freash battery and gas finally most importantly starter fluid :) good luck

and just in case once you get here started

New brake fluid
Tires
check all cables and relube WD40 helps but get real cable lube
Clean chain and lube

·
Cubicle Ostrich
1,785 Posts
also check inside the tank very carefully for any signs of rusting, chances are it's rusty if it's been sitting. If you get rust flakes in the gas they'll get sucked into the carbs and clog a jet, then you'll be ripping the carbs apart again.

You can buy Kreem (google it) to seal the tank yourself, it basically an epoxy that works pretty good from what i hear, its not perfect but serviceable for an old bike you dont want to dump a ton of money into.

·
Registered
267 Posts
get some crc down the cylinders!

this will help lube the rings and also penentrate a help loosen any rust that my have formed on them

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
definitely remove the spark plugs and put some penetrating oil in. let it sit overnight. make sure the ignition of off. Put the bike in 3rd or 4th gear and slowly push it forward, this will cause the crank to turn and allow all the moving parts to free up before trying to start the bike

·
Registered
671 Posts
speaking of oils, you might want to find the lightest oil like a 0w30 (make sure no friction modifyers) and put that into the motor before you turn it over... that will loosen up any junk in there run it that way for about 30miles and dump. Don't go crazy and get some $$$ oil regular dino from the supermarket will work.

haven't used CRC however the comercials sounds promising. however I used WD40 in my hog and she was good to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts