Sport Bikes banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did my free track day with Nesba a little while ago and now I am hooked. I got three scheduled so far. I know that I need to bring some tools in case somethigns gets loose, etc. Can anyone give me some advice on what else I need when I go back?

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Spare parts for a crash is the main thing, probably the most common thing I've seen breaking is brake levers, also maybe an extra set of rearsets, etc. Make sure the bike is safety wired if the track requires it. Alot of water, a little bit of cash, and a smile. Enjoy it, it gets addictive, and EXPENSIVE. What kind of bike are you riding?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Lawn chair, lots of water.

I notice that at the end of the day here we have the most crashes. I think one of the biggest reasons is that everyone is hot, dehydrated and tired causing them to make mental mistakes. The best advice I can give is to do your best to be aware of when you should stay in the pit and not go out for a session.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Squid Killer is right. Don't force yourself to do anything that your body doesn't want to do. My only crash happened in the last session of the day when I was the most tired. Went too fast around a turn and low sided all because I was not 100% mentally. If i was more prepared with shade, more water and patience I don't think I would have crashed IMo.

Get some kind of shade working, hopefully an umbrella girl. Anything to get out of the sun during breaks.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Good advice above. Don't forget some light snacks and gas for the bike.

If you can, try to get in shape for the track days. I'm not sure how long your free day with Nesba was but if it was that little two session, light pace intro, you'll be surprised how tired you get on a full day.

If you get tired, don't be afraid to head for the pits before the cornerworkers end each session. I do when I'm tired. Much better to take yourself off the track while your fatigued than risking a wreck that could hurt you or someone else.

Are you sticking with Nesba?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Another reason you get tired because most people don't get enough sleep the night prior. And, if you just go to bed at 9, you are not gonna fall asleep because you are used to go to bed later.

So, what I do, a couple of days before the event, I am trying to start going to bed early, so I will get used to falling asleep earlier.

Makes a big difference!

Also, during the day, make note of your mental state, assertiveness, etc. and adjust your riding accordingly. You just never know how your body is going to feel - all you can do is follow it's mood. Don't ever decide "All right, I am gonna push it on this lap real hard!".

I personally experienced, and heard from a lot of riders, that during the time when they just wanted to relax and took it easy, they had the fastest laps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
All good advice above:

Bring:

bike
keys (and spare keys)
gas (5-10 gallons)
suit
back protector
helmet
gloves
boots
shade (EZ up)
chairs
ear plugs
tire guage
tire pump or air tank
sun screen
baseball cap
spares (brake pads, clutch/brake levers, footpegs, frame sliders, etc.)
water
food
duct tape
front and rear stands
advil
paper towels
brake fluid
oil
sunglasses
umbrella
money
chain lube

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
93 sorry i didnt get ack to you sooner my old system went down and the new one I have is finally set up the way I want. Im in Littlestown, Pa. Its about 15 minutes or so south of Gettysburg. The track that I am going to is Summit Point in WV. Its about an hour and half away. The organization that I dealing with is NESBA.Com. I got an 03 zx6r but I am looking in getting a beater to take to the track. Thanks Guys for the inflo!!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
theorginalronin said:
The track that I am going to is Summit Point in WV. Its about an hour and half away. The organization that I dealing with is NESBA.Com.

I live down the road from Summit. What day you gonna be there? I have the 23rd of this month and maybe two days next month.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I found this Link a Few weeks ago

http://www.themcdonalds.net/richard/bike/zx6r/tracklist.shtml

It's a little overkill and you'd need a Semi to take everything. But after the first couple of times you go out. You'll get a good idea of what to and not to bring. I took 10gal of gas with me plus a full tank in the bike. But I forgot to bring my spare clip ons and Levers and pegs.

I lowsided and my day was done. I bent my Clipon and Brake lever, ground my peg down pretty good but still ridable. When I got home I could have had the bike ready to go again in 15min. Damit...... :a2

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Also binr a hammer and a piece of wood about 3 inches thick 5 wide and maybe the lenght of your arm. I gound my rearset foot peg and bent the shift lever when I lowsided coming out of a hairpin., some guys fixed it by pounding it straight. Now keep in mind it is safer tohave it heated an bent back properly...but on a track day, and if you are racing...shoot do what ever it takes to get you back up and running is my motto. Aso zip ties, I actually use zip ties to hold my race fairings together. I found that they are easy to replace, and you can snip them off in a snap if you fall.

·
Registered
152 Posts
DON'T forget...tow your bike to the track. i've seen a bunch of guys ride their bike to the track & have a fall, then begging everyone else for a tow. invest in clip ons, xtra levers, & plenty of energy (especially leg strength)

·
Registered
84 Posts
kawagirl said:
Also binr a hammer and a piece of wood about 3 inches thick 5 wide and maybe the lenght of your arm. I gound my rearset foot peg and bent the shift lever when I lowsided coming out of a hairpin., some guys fixed it by pounding it straight. Now keep in mind it is safer tohave it heated an bent back properly...but on a track day, and if you are racing...shoot do what ever it takes to get you back up and running is my motto. Aso zip ties, I actually use zip ties to hold my race fairings together. I found that they are easy to replace, and you can snip them off in a snap if you fall.

ZIP TIES ZIP TIES ZIP TIES ZIP TIES ZIP TIES
they are your best friend
i crashed the 3 rd lap of the day and broke my fairing stay in half
drilled a couple holes in each half and gave it zip tie stiches n time to tech and make the next session

1 - 15 of 15 Posts