Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up until this week I've never really paid much attention to the ST. But after coming across a couple posts about the bike I started to look at some of the specifics a bit more and am really starting to like the Sprint. Maybe it's because this year I have plans to be more "sport-touring orientated", with a few longer distance rides planned for this summer. That side of me can really appreciate what the ST has to off.

I especially like the fact that with the hard bags taken off, the bike looks awesome. Too many bikes look like crap when you take the bags off. I've read nothing but good things of the new 1050 motor. Plus, this thing is noticably lighter than a lot of the other sport touring bikes that are out there.

I don't know if I would ever trade my Busa for an ST, but I sure wouldn't mind throwing a leg over one for a long weekend. But who knows, after my 1,066 mile (one way) trip to Deals Gap next month, I might be reconsidering that. I'm not expecting the Busa to be that terible for the longer rides I have planned, but I'm sure the ST would eat the miles up with ease.

Would love to hear from some ST owners about some good (or bad) feedback about the bike and maybe hear of anyrides you have gone on with your ST.

Also, I found this awesome picture which is now the current wallpaper on my computer. :cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also am starting to like the Sprint. I rode a Ducati ST3 recently and it really rattled (mirrors and windscreen) at low rpms during city driving. It is also 2K more than the Sprint.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i can tell you this - if you don't want one don't get on one -i was instantly hooked -checked out R 1's and FZ 1's - first rides on the yamies i was never at ease - first ride on the sprint - felt at home , ran it up to 135 and wanted more ... put 19000 miles on it this year make a lot of 3 or 4 hundred mile rides with no problems . it is not as fast as your busa but with the off road can and the feel of the bike you will be happy..

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
I wish they would give it the same suspension/brakes as the Speed Triple and Tiger.

I would TOTALLY buy one in an instant if that were the case.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
kevinwilly said:
I wish they would give it the same suspension/brakes as the Speed Triple and Tiger.

I would TOTALLY buy one in an instant if that were the case.
gotta agree there.
if it had the Tiger suspension it would be in the same class as the best sport-tourers available! (the Duc ST3-S ABS for example) But... *sigh* they seem to go cheap just when you think the have all the elements.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Took a sprint for a test ride. Well set up bike for riding, but I didn't think the quality was in the paintwork or the switch gear. Plus the dealer wasn't doing much dealing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey guys

I just joined this site.
I'm also on triumphrat.net

just wanted to say hi!

my first ride on the sprint (july 06') : I got on it and within minutes it felt like I had been riding it for years. I have ridden alot of different bikes... nothing comes close.
this motor is perfect.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 04 ST and I love it. Just did a 2500 mile 7 day trip on it and not a single problem. It has no troubles with the twisties now with the long straights.

One thing I do suggest is tightening up the suspension because they tend to be a bit floaty. I do believe there are some aftermarket components for them that can make this a bit better. I have ridden it and and ST3 and the Sprint is by far a better bike. Besides....what sounds better than the rumble of that triple engine?!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all, I also have just joined SB.net, and right to the ST boards. I have to say that my 2006 is AWESOME! the wallpaper above is just like mine, god I love that blue. I'm in a group in my region that is all SB rockets and I have really no trouble staying near them in a ride. I'm 6'2", 41 yrs, and I am very comfortable on the bike, long distances are not a problem, 700 km in a day, and was not sore at all. My ST is going though some changes, cosmetic, I have put a mudder on it, and a mini LED light system on the back, new screen to get the air over my head, sliders, and removed all of the bag gear around the tail section, which if you know you are going on a trip, takes about 15 min to reinstall. The power of the 1050 is very very good, usable everywhere in the RPM range, wheelies are not a problem, but leaving a light at 750 rpm is possible without leaving your clutch there. The bike is smooth, no drama in the power delivery, very linear, and the handling is very competent, way above the standard bar of sport touring, really the ST should be St, SPORT touring.
If I had a complaint it would be gearbox, famous I hear for the British, sometimes she pops out, but not if you are firm with it. Also would be suspension, soft, but it is a ST, touring is part of the game for this bike, that is why I bought it, just seems I want to have more SPORT now, silly me. Triumph, you have a winner here, but I beg for 1 thing? Can you give me a 675 with the 1050 motor in it fully unleashed to get to GSXR levels, I bet it is coming.
Last words, If you are thinking of a ST1050, don't, it is a no brainer, Lovely bike.
Peter

·
Registered
9 Posts
Praise, and complaints, for the ST 1050

I've got an '06 that I bought in Long Island and rode home through Canada to Minneapolis, great ride, great bike. I have to agree with the last post on the suspension, it is too soft, especially in front, but it is really comfortable to ride for a sport bike. Only other complaints are no helmet locks, and that strange UFO noise from the airbox. Anybody know what that is and if anything can be done about it? I feel like George Jetson sometimes...
I too have the blue one, it is a really great looking bike, I've had numerous comments on it. Coming off my last bike ('Busa) and my current track bike (06 GSXR 1000) the power seems down, but the torque is really nice. Take offs from stoplights with a passenger is pretty smooth. Oh, one other complaint, the damm seat makes the passenger slide forward into the driver because of the angle. Why can't these guys just make a bike with a nice seat to begin with instead of making you go to Corbin to get something that really works?

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
They are very sharp bikes. I'd definitly pick one up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Finally got to ride a used Sprint at a dealership. It was an 06 with 3000 miles. I noticed right away that the bike is not as "flickable" through the turns like my current bike - Yamaha FZ6. This is because of the heavier weight and narrower handlebars. Great sound and power! I love the easily removable bags. Codie66- too bad you are not buying here in the USA, you can get one for a good price. They are not very popular. I plan to get an 07 later this year after the 08 models arrive at the dealerships.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts