Sport Bikes banner
21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
03silvers said:
i must agree mikael...only reason i made this thread was cause there are so many i crashed my big first bike and totalled it...i wanted to at least tell the other side, because i know so so many people who started huge and are doing great
aww come on fess up.. you made this thread to start a flame war.. to let the preachers of smaller bikes get all riled up.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Thanks for sharing your story silvers, I too started out on a 600 and see no problem with it if you are capable. Dont listen to people on this board, they cant seem to make up their mind. If you crash on a 600 then people say you started out to big, but then when they talk about riding they say its the rider not the bike. So which is it???? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
109 Posts
03silvers said:
So so many posts about new riders buying "big" (600 and up) bikes and wrecking them and everyone saying i told you so, now go buy a smaller bike. Well figured i would at least tell the other end of the spectrum.

I started on a ninja 900, never had problems with "panic" situations, never had problems with to much power while in a corner, never had a problem of accidentally giving it to much gas and looping it. I had experience on dirt with 125's and 4 wheelers. I feel that this experience helped tremendously on the street. I went down once at about 15mph in gravel and i would of gone down no matter what i was riding unless it was a dirtbike, and thats the truth. So big bike had nothing to do with that instance. I put around 5k on that bike.

Now i sold that bike and bought a 2000 cbr f4, and honestly i love it but i want a 929. Yes 600's are fast, but untill 8000 that bike is so easy to ride and shifiting constantly to keep power up sucks. But the bike is so easy to throw around it has a distinct advantage to a larger bike. So far i have around 3k on this bike.

Around 15 people that i ride with started on 900's or b***** and all are still here without an incidents that can be attributed to starting on a "big" bike.

Argue all you want but thats my story, dont call me a bad rider since youve never seen me ride, when i lived in pa i had no chicken strips and felt comfortable being that low in the corners.
I'm surprised no one has caught onto this. Your title is not even truthful. How freaking lame.

I had experience on dirt with 125's and 4 wheelers. I feel that this experience helped tremendously on the street.
Gee, what a contradiction. I'm sorry, but this just proves you are just here to stir up the pot and actually add no useful insight to anyone. By your own admission you did not "start big" in any way, shape of form. You had experience on dirt motorcycles and 4wheelers. Both of which will allow you to at the very least learn the fundamental skills needed to successfully drive a motorcycle. You knew where the throttle was, how to use it. You knew which lever was a clutch, which was the front brake, where a rear brake was. You knew where the gear shifter was and how to shift. You knew the concept of clutching/shifting on a motorcycle. That is just a drop in the bucket of what else you probably already knew.

Sorry, but a complete noob who has never had any motorcycle experience starting on a 900, let alone any 600 is has a much greater chance of becoming a statistic. Someone who has never used their hand to twist a throttle to accelerate, or used a lever as a clutch or brake, or had to distinguish between using a hand lever for a front brake or a foot lever for a rear brake, no when to use just front, or just rear, or both brakes... Man please, the list goes on and on.

You want to try a very simple experiment? Do this. People who have never rode a motorcylce. Get in your car and instead of using your right foot to brake, use your left foot! Watch how abrupt your braking is now. It is not as smooth of a stop, as it would have been if you used your right foot. Hell even those of us who are seasoned riders will have the same exact problem. It is because our muscles and bodies do not have the proper training, yet, to do that function. While you are training your mucles and memorizing certain tasks subconsciously to muscle memory, it is much easier to do on a much more forgiving machine, such as a 250 or 500.

Bleh, its late and I just got back from a 4 hour lecture at school on management! Didn't even mean to get this far into this, but ignorance must truly be bliss.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
dreddr6.....well most here dont consider dirt to be experience...you do apparently as do i, also what you said is so very true. I feel that all my dirt experience is the reason i am doing alright. I probably should have added that :D

i honestly dont want controversy, it just so happens that all the others here cant have a good discusion, they just throw out insults and prove no points of thier own

I feel that people with dirt experience are fine with b***** bikes...but yes...people with NO and i mean ZERO probably are not gonna be ok on a b***** bike...they might be but probably not, because if they panic they might forget what to do and what does what

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
rread my above post...this whole thread was meant to include dirt riding as a backround, but i obviously didnt get that across in my first post

·
Registered
1 Posts
damn...some of you guys need to lay off the hatorade.

I got a yzf600 when I was 16, and to this day, Ive been in one accident, and that was because an older lady backed out of her driveway on a crowded street and didnt see me. I am now 25 and still own the bike along with a couple others. Which I have never laid down.

I had a couple years of dirtbike experience, mostly 250's. Which taught me the basics of riding a motorcycle and made me comfortable enough to hop on a 600cc streetbike.

flame on folks

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
so what you are saying is every new rider should start on a liter bike one better how about a busa nothing says i can ride like a big blood smeer on the highway

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ninja 250 is a shitty starter bike. A month after the purchase, you're screaming for more power. A 600 is a good starter bike, but I'm thinking more along the lines of a tame 600, ie. the Katana. As for those who start off on b***** bikes, well, if you have the maturity level to handle it, more power to you. However, most don't.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
TexasCop said:
Ninja 250 is a shitty starter bike. A month after the purchase, you're screaming for more power. A 600 is a good starter bike, but I'm thinking more along the lines of a tame 600, ie. the Katana. As for those who start off on b***** bikes, well, if you have the maturity level to handle it, more power to you. However, most don't.
come to a trackday, run by www.lonestartrackdays.com and i'll show you an unshitty 250 rider.

·
Registered
346 Posts
dang, that was a good read. now unbunch your panties and chill the f**k out. Someones always gotta shove this whole start small thing in peoples faces. Face the facts, most people people are gonna do what they want anyway, not what some guy from houston says. starting small isnt for everyone. Silvers wanted to share is story and thats that. i love this mob mentality over here, you guys just feed on each others constant bitching.

·
Registered
457 Posts
JESTER600 said:
dang, that was a good read. now unbunch your panties and chill the f**k out. Someones always gotta shove this whole start small thing in peoples faces. Face the facts, most people people are gonna do what they want anyway, not what some guy from houston says. starting small isnt for everyone. Silvers wanted to share is story and thats that. i love this mob mentality over here, you guys just feed on each others constant bitching.
notice you are the only one being hostile and using profanity. Now you tell me who's panties are bunching up and who needs to chill out?

You Mister need to be in Time out.

21 - 40 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.