Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My FZ6 got thoroughly soaked in a rain storm while being trailored home from the track on Monday. On my ride home, I noticed the engine indicator light was on and that the starter motor was running whenever I pulled in the clutch lever or I was standing still. I figured it was just water in the electrical system and that it would go away when the system dried out. It's been in the garage a day and a half and the starter still engages as soon as I turn the bike on.

Any suggestions for getting the electrical system dried out?

Any way this could be something other than water and it's just a huge coincidence that this started (no pun intended) after a thorough soaking?

·
Registered
78 Posts
The button on the handlebars is still moving freely right? I find when i strap my bike down using canyon dancers that it has a tendency to get my horn button stuck in the on position. Just a thought.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
exciter99 said:
The button on the handlebars is still moving freely right? I find when i strap my bike down using canyon dancers that it has a tendency to get my horn button stuck in the on position. Just a thought.
The button travels freely and rebounds on the spring normally. So, I don't think it is physically stuck.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Still under warranty??

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Sounds like there might still be water in it. Check the connections, dry them out with some terminal dryer, then give them a dab of dielectric grease before reassembling.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
It would seem from following all of the various "what's with my bike after it rained" threads, that it's a good idea to keep it covered and stationary in bad weather as much as possible. I've been doing it to avoid having to clean the bike and chain too much, but I guess I have a better reason growing in the back of my mind now.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Sounds to me there still water stuck under the switch maybe and just let it dry more or try to blow it out with some compressed air maybe. Maybe even open it up and take a look see inside.If you want maybe trace the switch wire to a disconnect point and disconnect it and turn the key on if it still tries to start its not the switch and could be a short further down the line by the started perhaps. At least this will tell you if its the switch or the starter half of the circuit.

·
On The Job
1,739 Posts
Take the switch housing apart and pull the leads on the switch. Use a meter and check continuity. Check the switch in its normal and depressed condition. If you don't have a meter you can get a cheap ($10 ?) circuit tester at a autoparts store and use that instead. You can check a couple different points down stream and check for shorts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
04Fizzer said:
Any updates?
Sorry tonight is the first time I'm going to have enough free time to sit down and take the bike apart. When I tried it earlier today it was still starting on its own. This is also the first day it hasn't been raining here since Monday when the porblem first occured. So, maybe with less humidity it will fix itself. I'll let you know what happens after tonight.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I pulled apart the switch and inspected it. I can't see any moisture in there and I can't find anything physically wrong with it.

I traced the wires from the starter and the switch to a "black box" that sits on top of the battery. I referenced a Yamaha parts diagram and lo and behold, this part is the starter relay assembly (no duh). This component has two 30 watt automotive fuses, a lead directly from the battery's positive terminal and a lead that I think goes to the starter motor...it's hard to tell because it is tucked under the frame and I don't want to remove the entire air cleaner assembly to see what's underneath it. Also there is a wiring harness that plugs into the relay that seems to run up to the starter button and probably the kill switch and the main switch (the switch that you use your key to turn). Anyway, there is nothing visibly wrong with the starter relay either.

So, I think I am off to the parts store for an inexpensive meter or circuit tester and some thing to spray everything with just to be sure it is not still some water in the switch or wiring.

My guess now is some circuitry in the starter relay got fried (technical term) when the bike was run while wet. Anybody know what's in a starter relay typically? Is it something that could be damaged by water or possilby a surge from somewhere else in the electrical system?

·
Registered
141 Posts
The relay itself might have gone bad and "stuck" closed. That happened to me with a cage I had when I was 17. The starter soleniod stuck closed and would run the started until I opened up the hood and smacked it with a blunt object.

·
On The Job
1,739 Posts
Description: The starter relay is high-current switch used in the starting circuit of some cars. The relay contains a set of windings and contact discs that move when energized. A starter relay is usually mounted to the firewall area underneath the hood.

Purpose: The starter relay makes and breaks the connection to the starter, based off a signal from the ignition switch. Since the relay handles the job of handling the high-current load to the starter, only a small amount of current flow is needed to activate the relay.

A relay is basically an electrically controlled switch. It uses an electrical signal to close a set of contacts in the relay. The contacts act as a switch allowing power in and back out of the relay. Using a test light, check for power and ground into the relay. If working properly, the switch should allow power in and out of the relay.

If the starter relay is bad it could be the cause of your problem. Try to disconnect the battery and then reconnect it. It could possibly temporarily fix your problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bad starter switch

After testing with the multimeter I picked at at Radio Shack last night my conclusion is that the starter button is malfunctioning. It seems to be perpetually shorted.

I removed it from the handle assembly and tested it completely disconnected from the bike and it tests as a short. It doesn't really seem like the switch can be disassembled, so I'm going to order a new one. Which also seems like a problem since the parts diagrams don't show the button as a separate part. I am definitley not paying $80 to order the entire right side handle assembly to replace a part that probably cost $5.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts